Samsung Note 5 to have a 4k display with a record-breaking 748PPI (and 762 for the Edge variant)

Nineshadow

samsung-display-slide-1.jpg

Samsung confirmed in its Analyst Days presentation slides a while ago that it has a Ultra HD 2160 x 3840 pixels Super AMOLED displays for mobile in the works for 2015, as you can see above. Also, at a Semiconductor and Display Technology Roadmap workshop last year, Samsung presenters hinted again at having higher-resolution UHD smartphone displays in the pipeline. These resolutions, however, were mentioned then together with the "diamond pixel" term, which is a fancy way to say a non-standard pixel matrix arrangement, that is closer to PenTile, than the standard RGB stripe matrix. In any case, at 700+ ppi, nobody would notice the individual pixels anyway.

Furthermore, we received a word that Samsung will be putting those UHD Super AMOLED panels in none other than the Galaxy Note 5, and will start the displays' production in August, which would jibe with an eventual September announcement around the IFA 2015 expo. The exact diagonals are said to be 5.78" for the inevitable dual edge Note 5, and 5.89 inches for the regular, flat display version. These return exactly 762ppi and 748ppi, respectively, or the highest pixel densities ever attempted on a phone, if this Note 5 speculation pans out. The more, the merrier.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Don't know what to say honestly. Do we need 4K on phones? Probably not...but hey, the more pixels the better I guess.What about battery life? And what about performance? Will I have to run games upscaled from 1080p to 4k?We shall see.
It will be very good for their VR thingy though.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Nobody.. I repeat, nobody in the latest generation of smartphones has complained that their screen was not sharp enough, I mean fuck the iPhone display is like the least highest PPI these days and its still a gorgeous display... Sure if there are NO other complaints, improve the screen.. BUT

Instead we tons of things to complain about that need fixing FIRST before adding more pixels ---

Battery life, camera quality/features, build quality, speaker quality, OS and UI, software, performance, poor button placement, lack of waterproofing, useage of cheap materials, lack of expandable storage/good built in storage options,  

well and many more things that could make phones better

instead of wasting time fitting a big screen. which... yes, reduced battery life and drags performance down

well fucking done samsung

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think the Snapdragon and Exynos lines of SoCs will struggle to drive the 4K display.

And if they somehow manage a smooth experience the battery life will still plummet.

It was difficult to retain battery life with less than double the pixels of 1080p (WQHD)........so lets make it impossible by quadrupling the pixels.

Best.Plan.Ever.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

samsung-display-slide-1.jpg<<Yes, I guess phone displays from before are like 100x50, right? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

YES finally

wohoo for HMD VR :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Smaller pixels means faster degradation. Samsung's past OLED screens already have color balance and burn-in issues.

More pixels means faster power drain. They already had heat and battery life concerns at 1080p.

Are these idiots TRYING to give OLED a bad name?

Guys I know it's pointless but keep in mind they have Gear VR which would benefit from higher resolution display.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Smaller pixels means faster degradation. Samsung's past OLED screens already have color balance and burn-in issues.

More pixels means faster power drain. They already had heat and battery life concerns at 1080p.

Damn. Almost forgot about the burn-in issues.

That's a real thing :l.Had it on my old S3.

However, it's not THAT noticeable. You can see it if you want to see it, but there were times when I didn't.

If a 720p display had small burn-in issues, what about 4k?That's...a lot more pixels.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

not to mention they don't seal them right, so anything that's been used for a while (display models even) is noticeably dimmer, due to the way oxygen reacts with OLED or something I don't remember the exact process of

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is fucking stupid.I understand they wanna "kill the game", but their user interface sucks, their designs are ugly and the camera is meh.Also, what the hell were they thinking when they made this shit?

First, the size of the panel itself, 5.89 inches is TOO DAMN BIG and that resolution IS  going to kill the battery life, unless they use some kind of magic unicorn farts to power it, or make it thick as hell and put a 6000mAh battery inside it. All the apps and games will be upscaled from 1080p to 4k, as if 1440p wasn't enough. 

I can't even see the damn pixels on my G3, and 1440p is overkill for a phone.

Also, they would need a powerhouse to power that display and a lot of ram/video memory.

They should make their shitty UI better and get rid of all the shitty bloatware they put on their phones/Make some designs that are actually inovative/improve the camera capabilities/BETTER SPEAKERS/and the fucking BUTTON PLACEMENT(!) that is stupid(have you seen the note edge? that shit has the power button on the top of the device,they could have put it on, i don't know, the left side!?! ).

anyway, fuck samsung

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Lets hope they just give their phones a bad name, not the technology behind the screen. Other manufacturers don't have any issues yet, do they? (also AMOLED kind of separates their screens from other OLED screens-even though they are effectively the same).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Guys I know it's pointless but keep in mind they have Gear VR which would benefit from higher resolution display.

HTC's Vive uses two 1080x1200 panels.

Oculus' Rift, the Crescent Bay one, has a 2560x1440p panel.

And even if that is their plan it won't work because there's zero chance that a Snapdragon or Exynos processor can drive anything worth doing in VR in 4K at an appropriate frame rate.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

And even if that is their plan it won't work because there's zero chance that a Snapdragon or Exynos processor can drive anything worth doing in VR in 4K at an appropriate frame rate.

That wouldn't even work as a wired VR headset(you connect it to your pc to use as a VR headset, like the oculus or OSVR) even if they made some software for it to work like that(even though it would be cool)

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

The Samsung gear is made for the Note series so basically they have to make it work somehow. Or they are already pulling the plug on gear vr which I don't think their doing.

dick measuring contest

i guess it's "okay" if considering the VR aspect.. and even then...

otherwise completely useless.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

I think the Snapdragon and Exynos lines of processors will struggle to drive the 4K display.

And if they somehow manage a smooth experience the battery life will still plummet.

It was difficult to retain battery life with less than double the pixels of 1080p (WQHD)........so lets make it impossible by quadrupling the pixels.

Best.Plan.Ever.

Isn't samsung using its own in-house designed processors lately though?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Lets hope they just give their phones a bad name, not the technology behind the screen. Other manufacturers don't have any issues yet, do they? (also AMOLED kind of separates their screens from other OLED screens-even though they are effectively the same).

Yeah. For the first time I'm almost glad they used a fancy nonsense name instead of just calling it OLED.

i guess we really should be looking towards the positives really 4k an a screen that small is a impressive and, as has been mentioned here, has application in the vr headsets down the line....but for a phone its overkill

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

:P 

4. Spamming

• The posting solely of memes or similar images without contributing to the discussion, memes can be funny and applicable but if it is completely unrelated it is spam.

CoC

~~

So what's the battery life going to be? Probably 5 hours on-screen time... :S

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

:P

4. Spamming

• The posting solely of memes or similar images without contributing to the discussion, memes can be funny and applicable but if it is completely unrelated it is spam.

CoC

~~

So what's the battery life going to be? Probably 5 hours on-screen time... :S

Oh come on, words aren't really needed to describe Samsung's idiocy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I don't think even someone with absolutely perfect vision can make use of that really. I'm all for innovation but battery life is much more important than even clearer screens.

Always trying to find reason.

[Citation Needed] on OLED pixels having a shorter lifespan when they are smaller.

Are you sure it uses more power and generates more heat as well? It is not like with an LCD where you have to increase the backlight strength. The smaller pixels you got in an OLED display the less power each pixel uses.

As for the resolution, please bear in mind that blue and red will only have a PPI of ~539. That's the same as the LG G3 and Oppo Find 7. So if the Note 5 has that resolution, then it will match those two phones in terms of PPI, which I don't think is that ridiculous.

Samsung are also in the VR game now, and for that there are benefits.

On top of that, please bear in mind that even without the lenses in VR headsets, your average Joe can still see a difference all the way to ~870 PPI. That's someone with average vision. Half of us got even better vision than that.

So no, it is not unnecessary at all. But with all that being said, I still think it's a bad move by Samsung. I think we should stay at 2560x1440 until SoCs and battery technology catches up a bit.

I just think people should hate on it for the right reasons. "We can't see it" and "there is no point" are the wrong reasons.

On top of that, please bear in mind that even without the lenses in VR headsets, your average Joe can still see a difference all the way to ~870 PPI. That's someone with average vision. Half of us got even better vision than that.

I don't wear glasses and I can see things pretty clearly, but for some reason I cant possibly see the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a phone as so does every single reviewers out there