The New Macbook Reviews are In - and Positive?

Apple just paving the path again while others laugh only to walk their road months later. 

Being the first is always going to be rocky (look at the original macbook air for example) but someone has to do the hard work.

I'm not trying to be biased, I genuinely wonder how this is paving the path. Towards what lighter and thinner laptops? Though I agree Apple did push towards that, it was with the Air not the new macbook. Towards ultra thin fanless designs? Aren't others doing that. I honestly don't know what you are referring to.

Intel graphics wouldn't be where they are if Apple didn't demand Intel to improve them (iris and iris pro). I'm pretty sure Apple's obsession with making thinner devices also played a part in Intel making cpu that have low enough tdp to be used in the air and MacBook.

Edit: This is probably one of the more notable things-

At similar power consumption, Core M is just as fast as any other flagship tablet in basic tasks. I can't imagine how much this will change less than 6 months from now with the new iPad and next year when, inevitably, the next generation of Core M comes out. 

Smartphones are referred to as computers at times and they only have one USB port. 

Your posts seem really biased, and although Apple may have had an influence on Intel, I think you are overstating their importance in the creation of Core M. Referring to your second post, that is way out of context (someone said that but I agree).

If the macbook was cheaper (or the same price) as the Air, and had at least 1 normal usb port, it might be worth considering.

If the macbook was cheaper (or the same price) as the Air, and had at least 1 normal usb port, it might be worth considering.

TBH all the new Macbook has over the Air is no fan, a retina display (which could easily be used in the Air) and a slightly thinner design.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

TBH all the new Macbook has over the Air is no fan, a retina display (which could easily be used in the Air) and a slightly thinner design.

Yea I know, which is why it's so unjustified right now. That's why I said with those adjustments it MIGHT be worth considering because as it stands right now it's not.

Who'd a thunk it, other people don't just knee jerk hate on Apple products! 

The Macbook of now is the Macbook Air of back then. It made little sense for normal people. Now look at the air, the cheapest point of entry to the Apple ecosystem and a pretty good entry to boot, a laptop that basically kicked every other PC maker in the ass on how to make a good, small laptop. 

Its Apple first gen, every gen. Don't buy into it unless you really know what you want and are getting into. Otherwise wait for the vastly improved 2nd gen, when shits been ironed out and things make a little more sense. 

Oh well, can't expect rationality. I'm just here for all the "DAE APPLE IS SHITEEE" comments that generally follow such threads. 

ONE FUCKING PORT! I CAN"T CHARGE AND  USE A MOUSE AT THE SAME TIME WITHOUT ADAPTERS! THE AIR IS THICKER YET STILL CALLED THE AIR, AND A BETTER VALUE. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK APPLE IS DOING! IT'S NOT KNEE JERK, IT'S LOGIC

MY KEYBOARD HAS A HEADPHONE JACK AND MORE PORTS WTF

IF IT HAD JUST 1 FUCKING DEDICATED PORT, AND WE COULD USE A HUB AT HOME EASILY AND NOT HAVE TO CARRY A BUNCH OF SHIT IN OUR BAG EVERYWHERE WE GO

IT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF MINUTELY MORE THIN IF YOU NEED TO PUT ALL OF THAT IN YOUR BAG

y-u-no-guy.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

ONE FUCKING PORT! I CAN"T CHARGE AND  USE A MOUSE AT THE SAME TIME WITHOUT ADAPTERS! THE AIR IS TICKER YET STILL CALLED THE AIR, AND A BETTER VALUE. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK APPLE IS DOING! IT'S NOT KNEE JERK, IT'S LOGIC

MY KEYBOARD HAS A HEADPHONE JACK AND MORE PORTS WTF

1 FUCKING DEDICATED PORT, AND WE COULD USE A HUB AT HOME EASILY AND NOT HAVE TO CARRY A BUNCH OF SHIT IN OUR BAG EVERYWHERE WE GO

IT DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF MINUTELY MORE THIN IF YOU NEED TO PUT ALL OF THAT IN YOUR BAG

y-u-no-guy.jpg

The Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 is thinner and has more I/O than the Macbook (with the same battery life), Apple can not truly justify the new 'Macbook'. (Just because they haven't made excuses yet doesn't mean they won't try)

PMSL

It's still really overpriced...

The reviews don't change anything.

Buy a Macbook Air, you get a better laptop all while saving money.

PMSL

It needs refinements (desperately) and it needs to be cheaper. It is a nice machine otherwise - I can't deny my attraction to aluminium unibodies. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Why do people like the look of Apple products so much. I find them to look too modern looking. I like industrial stuff like some of Lenovo's stuff and Dell's stuff.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

As my friend said... "Apple computers are like the tabacco industry... Schools are in need of computers, so apple says well supply u with computers. However they run macox, not windows. The school teaches them to use MACOX only, not WINDOWS, because of the software. When those students grow up and need computers, they go out and buy a $5000 Mac, because they don't know how to use windows. Then, they teach their kids how to use macox, which is further taught in school. Circle continues."

A guy at school was like " I game in a Mac" I made fun of him and said ahhhahahaha "u have to game on a mac" he said... "I've always wanted to game on a Mac... The gameplay is great..." I almost castrated him ...

How is teaching kids about computing on a Windows PC any better than learning it on a Mac?

"The school teaches them to use Windows only, not Linux, because of the software. When those students grow up and need computers, they go out and buy a $100 Windows licence, because they don't know how to use Linux. Then, they teach their kids how to use Windows, which is further taught in school. Circle continues."

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Actually its as fast as the MAXED 2011 Macbook Air. You know? The one with an i7? Plus its a Core M running at a damn impressive 5w. It has alot of room for improvement but I do believe this is one hell of a good start. $899 would be an absolutly fantastic price for this but really 1000 would be a great price point as well.

Even the maxed out 2011 Macbook Air was pretty low performing. The difference between i5 and i7 is much smaller on mobile chips since the i5 also has hyperthreading. The only difference was 1MB of extra cache and 0.2GHz higher clock.

It would have made a lot more sense at 900 dollars, but that's ~1/3 of the price off. So it's about 30% overpriced.

How is teaching kids about computing on a Windows PC any better than learning it on a Mac?

"The school teaches them to use Windows only, not Linux, because of the software. When those students grow up and need computers, they go out and buy a $100 Windows licence, because they don't know how to use Linux. Then, they teach their kids how to use Windows, which is further taught in school. Circle continues."

Yeah, the same thing happens all the time in the computer world. That's why you see a lot of companies focus on giving away their products for free to schools (or at very highly reduced prices).

Baby Duck Syndrome is a real thing so whichever program/system people get taught in school, that is the one they will want to work with when they get a job or have to buy it for themselves.

Honestly I think this macbook is great , sure its price to performance is steep but I adore the design and it seems super well made, great track pad, keyboard and screen

For me, the lack of ports, is not an issue.. at all

Apple TV for external display

iCloud for external storage/backup

Airdrop - for sending files between computer/iPhone/iPad/Macs

Camera - my cameras has wifi

For a light user, wanting something that is a cut above the rest design/aesthetics/build quality wise, it really hits the mark well

That is how it makes sense to me

Why do people like the look of Apple products so much. I find them to look too modern looking. I like industrial stuff like some of Lenovo's stuff and Dell's stuff.

Really? Apple to me is almost retro looking, the design is HEAVILY inspired by Braun

braun-or-apple.png

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

My only two complaints about the MacBook is the lack of ports, even just one more USB 3.1 port would have been enough, and the command key being slightly larger than I'd like for laptops. At least I know I'd get used to the keyboard very quickly. I would love to give one of these a few days of testing to get used to it.

Always trying to find reason.

They really should have put one more type-C port on the other side like the new chromebook pixel has, then I would have considered buying it.

performance somewhere around the 2011-2012 Macbook Airs. That's the good news.

So the bad news is what? It slaps you to the face every time it sees an android device and makes you pray to Steve Jobs every 10 minutes? /s

Seriously though, it is a first gen product. Things will only get better from now on and I expect the 2nd or at the worst case scenario the 3rd gen Macbook to be worthwhile investments.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

The single port probably is a concession to make people more likely to use Cloud services -- or at least done with the assumption (possibly correct?) that lots of people are using cloud services instead of removable storage.

I find this really blinkered though. Partially because not every removable device is storage. But also because functionality is removed if you don't have internet access. You are reliant on external servers in a world where the NSA's activities are legitimately confirmed instead of just heavily suspected and assumed. Not to mention that one of the biggest cloud services is run by Google, who themselves are openly interested in your data.

I hate this move away from personal ownership of storage, and this is my main concern with Chromebooks, as well. A 32GB phone SSD and a tablet-quality CPU so you are reliant on cloud storage and cloud computing is definitely not where I want the PC landscape to be heading.

It's arguable that the lack of removable storage on the iPhone has always been for this purpose, but then they do something confusing like release a 128 GB version...

The single port probably is a concession to make people more likely to use Cloud services -- or at least done with the assumption (possibly correct?) that lots of people are using cloud services instead of removable storage.

I find this really blinkered though. Partially because not every removable device is storage. But also because functionality is removed if you don't have internet access. You are reliant on external servers in a world where the NSA's activities are legitimately confirmed instead of just heavily suspected and assumed. Not to mention that one of the biggest cloud services is run by Google, who themselves are openly interested in your data.

I hate this move away from personal ownership of storage, and this is my main concern with Chromebooks, as well. A 32GB phone SSD and a tablet-quality CPU so you are reliant on cloud storage and cloud computing is definitely not where I want the PC landscape to be heading.

Having one port also removes some functionality from the computer too. If you need to use the hub they provide then you're limited on power options and still device options. A second 3.1 port would alleviate some headache with that.

Always trying to find reason.

They get good reviews because it is a good laptop. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

But it's Apple... even if it's good it's still bad. /s

I just wish it had a second USB port.. That's it. Aside from that, it's good looking, powerful enough for my internet needs, and has great battery life. Can't really ask for much more than that.

Yea but welcome to LTT where if it isn't for gaming, doesn't have good price to performance or doesn't like Gabens nether regions, it isn't worth it.

Yea but welcome to LTT where if it isn't for gaming, doesn't have good price to performance or doesn't like Gabens nether regions, it isn't worth it.

Well you keep asking for DAE APPLE IS SHIIITT comments everywhere I see you, I came here to see the Apple are..... I mean everywhere it seems like you just want those comments to argue with people - being a hypocrite here -.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650