The New Macbook Reviews are In - and Positive?

I definitely don't like this particular laptop, since there is only one port. Well, the usb problem could be solve with a hub, but couldn't they just add a DP at least for a display? I know a lot of people who have a laptop, but also have a monitor for when they are at home. Even for projects, you usually want to hook it up to a projector. I really think the price is ridiculous considering this aspect. I think devices need at least a USB port and some sort of display port. They should have made this much cheaper.

USB-C has a HDMI link built-in...You use a dongle like you do with any other MacBook as most displays don't support Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt anyways... No difference there...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Fine, fair enough. I see where you're coming from now.

Don't get me wrong it's a NICHE use case. But it's there.

But to such a person who actively uses those 3, I'd rather recommend the MBA even right now. The current MacBook is magical. But worth 1800? For normal folk? No.

USB-C has a HDMI link built-in...You use a dongle like you do with any other MacBook as most displays don't support Mini Displayport/Thunderbolt anyways... No difference there...

Thanks for reminding me. Though, I'm not even sure there are hubs that allow HDMI out and usb connections (since you need HDMI out for projector and usb for a mouse/presenter tool) via that USB-C, unless you want that 80$ solution that apple has... Maybe in the future there may be cheaper ones, but who knows if they will do the same thing. Not even sure if you can connect another hub to that, since the power from 1 usb port might be a problem. In the end, it still should have been cheaper or at least included that 80$ apple adaptor. At least for mini DP/Thunderbolt, you can just find a cheap 10$ adapter.

Another thing about the adapter is that even though mini display/ thunderbolt is rare, at least in my department's building we have adapters at all the projectors so I never need to worry about bringing one when I teach or give a presentation.  

Whats also lame is that I invested in a 34UM95, with thunderbolt, so that I can use it as sort of a dock. I think I'll have to have multiple adapters now if I wnated tgo use the macbook.  

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

All the things that make this laptop great, namely the size, fanless cooling, and efficiency were made possible by intel. Most of the things that make this laptop crap is done by apple, namely the touchpad, lack of ports, and the keyboard, and that wonky resolution (please just go with 16:9 apple. Thank you). As someone who uses the new macbook pro daily, the new touchpad is far and away worse than the old one (Worse tracking, and the new "click" is cheesy at best) the new keyboard gets rid of the other fantastic thing that apple laptops had, and that lack of travel is horrendous. And good luck with that one port. While yes, you can adapter out and such, gone are the days where you can just hook up an external disc drive, plug in your laptop, and watch a movie, as you can't charge and input data at the same time (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong). The props here should be given to intel, not apple.

All the things that make this laptop great, namely the size, fanless cooling, and efficiency were made possible by intel. Most of the things that make this laptop crap is done by apple, namely the touchpad, lack of ports, and the keyboard, and that wonky resolution (please just go with 16:9 apple. Thank you). As someone who uses the new macbook pro daily, the new touchpad is far and away worse than the old one (Worse tracking, and the new "click" is cheesy at best) the new keyboard gets rid of the other fantastic thing that apple laptops had, and that lack of travel is horrendous. And good luck with that one port. While yes, you can adapter out and such, gone are the days where you can just hook up an external disc drive, plug in your laptop, and watch a movie, as you can't charge and input data at the same time (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong). The props here should be given to intel, not apple.

Well Inte's Core M is matching ARM CPU's in performance and TDP, if we are lucky well will soon see more tablets and phones capable of running desktop programs.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The Anandtech review on the new Macbook seems pretty neutral and objective to me, although I would like them to take a look into the limitations in cooling and tdp like they did with the other Core M laptops- see at what temperature it would start to throttle (not just skin temps), the effects of Apple overclocking every single cpu, and how long it can stay in its turbo states, both single and dual core turbo. And not once did Ryan say "first gen product" :P

The Anandtech review on the new Macbook seems pretty neutral and objective to me, although I would like them to take a look into the limitations in cooling and tdp like they did with the other Core M laptops- see at what temperature it would start to throttle (not just skin temps), the effects of Apple overclocking every single cpu, and how long it can stay in its turbo states, both single and dual core turbo. And not once did Ryan say "first gen product" :P

Outright negative= no more review units.

PMSL

Outright negative= nor more review units.

I don't expect Apple to do that to the reputable reviewers, maybe to some reviewers that won't really matter. Companies that I expect that to happen would be the more childish ones like EA or Ubisoft. I think too many people expected reviews to come out so that they could use them to prove that their opinion of having one port was too few and the price was too high when realistically, it's a different product with some new technologies that we haven't seen before, some decisions that don't make sense now but might later on, and it's ultimately what consumers demanded from Apple- a thin device that has excellent battery and a retina IPS screen. 

I don't expect Apple to do that to the reputable reviewers, maybe to some reviewers that won't really matter. Companies that I expect that to happen would be the more childish ones like EA or Ubisoft. I think too many people expected reviews to come out so that they could use them to prove that their opinion of having one port was too few and the price was too high when realistically, it's a different product with some new technologies that we haven't seen before, some decisions that don't make sense now but might later on, and it's ultimately what consumers demanded from Apple- a thin device that has excellent battery and a retina IPS screen. 

You reallly don't know what's behind Apple's name anymore do you? Apple can and will do something like this.

PMSL

You reallly don't know what's behind Apple's name anymore do you? Apple can and will do something like this.

I haven't heard of them banning anyone for publishing negative reviews but there is a huge amount of Apple dick sucking in the review community. There is a reason why The Verge is often called iVerge. For example they slammed the Note 3 for being too big but a few months later they said the iPhone 6+ was a great size. I am not sure if that's because they are worried Apple might ban them or because people are just irrational when it comes to Apple.

They did however ban Gizmodo from all Apple events and stopped sending them review units after they published articles on the iPhone 4 prototype someone found in a bar.

I always wait for Anandtech to do a proper review. Fairly unbiased, even when Anand himself covered Apple. I think Ryan reviewing Apple products now is even better, since he comes from a PC perspective and is very knowledgable in that regard. 

Who'd a thunk it. Anand gives the straight line on what the Macbook is. Not without its flaws, not entirely useless either. What we call a "not bad" product. I think people here forget just how badly the MacBook Air was slammed at launch too. They improved it eventually and priced it normally. Maybe Apple likes repeating "mistakes", though its hard to call what the MBA led to a mistake. 

Its roughly 800 more than it should be (kinda like the Air) but I expect that to change within the next 12-18 months if not in the next 8-12 months. 

Please people just open your damn eyes, Apple stop to innovate since a long time now, they still took the innovations of others companies & then say there ours like they did few years ago.

The only one thing they think of its there money earn & that's really bad for the innovation.

We need to say no & totally Disagree with this kind of policies.

Innovation is the only true way to the progress not fake.

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

Children, remember, within that "+" sign, you will always find that horizontal "-".