LHC successfully restarted today

.spider.

10.41am

The operators have just opened the last collimators for Beam 2 Anticlockwise. Beam 2 has completed its circuit of the LHC!

12.27pm

Beam 1, the second to circulate this morning, is successfully through all sectors of the LHC! The startup is complete! #RestartLHC

http://run2firstbeam.web.cern.ch

For the first time in 2 years beams are circulating in the LHC.

There are no collisions today it is just a startup test.

https://youtu.be/YyTU_b9zTxs

SWAG! now i can fear for my life because a blackhole could consume the earth again!

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

whats lhc?

Large helium collidiscope

IIRC

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

uh oh CERN is experimenting with miniature black holes to invent time travel again...

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte GTX 980 G1, Kingston Hyper X fury 16GB, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Cooler Master Hyper 212x, NZXT Noctis 450, Samsung 850 EVO 128GB + WD caviar blue 1TB, EVGA 750W G2. 

whats lhc?

Large Hadron Collider

Or as autocorrect would have it, Large Hardon Couluder

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

uh oh CERN is experimenting with miniature black holes to invent time travel again...

darn that Cecret Exterination of Remaining Nuerons team!

Large Hadron Collider

Or as autocorrect would have it, Large Hardon Couluder

aww you're ruining the fun to be had with TLAs... :(

In other news, this website is useful again. 

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Nice to hear, I thought it was suppose to take weeks/months to get the problem fixed.

I wonder when people will realize that can't end the earth, much less create a black hole capable of destroying the earth.

I wonder when people will realize that can't end the earth, much less create a black hole capable of destroying the earth.

after they created one?

after they created one?

I was hoping for sooner.

I just finished watching Steins;Gate yesterday then I saw this. Scary shit.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

whats lhc?

The biggest machine ever built by mankind, located in Geneva because the Americans canceled their Superconducting Super Collider.

When it is operating at its designed power of 7 TeV protons will travel trough it at a speed of 99.999999991% of the speed of light.

These protons travel clockwise and anticlockwise and at 4 points they smash into each other.

Detectors observe these collisions.

aww you're ruining the fun to be had with TLAs... :(

What is a TLA?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

The biggest machine ever built by mankind, located in Geneva because the Americans canceled their Superconducting Super Collider.

When it is operating at its designed power of 7 TeV protons will travel trough it at a speed of 99.999999991% of the speed of light.

These protones travel clockwise and anticlockwise and at 4 points they smash into each other.

As far as I know it is designed for higher voltage, around 15 TeV, as they will do 2 test, one at 5Tev and another at 9 TeV to test the multi dimension theory for gravity

I might talk out of my ass tho, as I type these numbers from my memories :(

These protones travel clockwise and anticlockwise and at 4 points they smash into each other.

They just made it to see what happens if you collide protons near the speed of light, right?

around 15 TeV,

Two beams of 7TeV sum up to 14TeV collision energy.

They just made it to see what happens if you collide protons near the speed of light, right?

No they want proof for concepts made by theoretical physicists.

SWAG! now i can fear for my life because a blackhole could consume the earth again!

We can only hope.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

there are thousands of cosmic ray collisions in our atmosphere everyday that have higher energies than the LHC and considering they haven't created a black hole over the 4.54 billion years it is unlikely the LHC will

EDIT: OH NO I WAS WRONG THE LHC CREATED A BLACK HOLE WE ARE GOING TO DIIIEEE HERES THE FOOTAGE  http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

https://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/index.php

http://op-webtools.web.cern.ch/op-webtools/vistar/vistars.phplive data 

whats lhc?

Large Huge Collision-maker

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

What I see in the picture:

cern.png

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

As far as I know it is designed for higher voltage, around 15 TeV, as they will do 2 test, one at 5Tev and another at 9 TeV to test the multi dimension theory for gravity

I might talk out of my ass tho, as I type these numbers from my memories :(

It's energy, not voltage. The electronvolt is a unit of energy, not voltage/electric potential. When the beams are running at 6.5 TeV (13 TeV combined for collisions), each proton will be carrying 0.000001 Joule. Which is simultaneously a tiny amount of energy and a HUGE amount of energy for one single freaking proton. Several times as much as the kinetic energy of a flying mosquito.