Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I have two stories, one mine and one by my wife and her co-workers:
Mine: Did not pin the 12V power connector to mobo (thought it was optional). Spent a good hour trying to troubleshoot, was close to RMAing the mobo and/or CPU

My wife and her co-workers:

For some reason they wanted to try and see how a CD ROM reads a floppy drive.

They forcefully inserted the floppy in and the CD tray got jammed after making a loud noise.

Ran an R9 280 with a A10 6790k for about 2 years because i couldn't anything better at the time.

Better yet, i sold this system for around US$1300.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Spending double the amount of money needed on fittings because I changed the plan mid-build in my first hardline watercooling project.

Painful, although I consider it my personal idiot tax.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

"Nah, I don't need thermal paste."

$415 poorer, I walked out of the store with a new processor and a tube of Arctic Silver.

The worst mistake for me was me allowing myself to be born into a world like this.

Oh wait looking at the topic you meant tech mistakes. Well I would say getting into tech at all may have been the worst mistake I have ever made.

1. Buy a 1050ti

2. bought an overpriced powersupply, turns out it was the graphics card which was dead so wasted like $150.

3. buy a non-Ryzen AM4 cpu. (save up if you have am4!)

Accidentally uninstalled Steam (and all my games) when trying to fix a glitch in SFM involving transparent models

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Buying a Nintendo Switch. Only worthwhile games are multiplat and definitely not fun experiences played on the go.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

• 5 months later...

we have all had one of thos brain fart moments where we did something really stupid and didnt understand why the computer wouldnt turn on.

for me it was the time when I was transfering my parts into a new case and somehow managed to jam my 8pin pci connecter into the 8 pin auxillery port, it luckly didnt damage the motherboard but it was a really stupid moment 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I blew up a power supply. It wasn't spectacular, just a loud "bang" and a bad smell, but still. To this day I never trust Corsair PSUs for this very reason, but I was told by Corsair that I just had a faulty unit.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

That one time I stuck my finger in my BRAND NEW Asus Rog Strix Gtx 1070ti.

Unneccessary to say that of course I cranked my fans to 100% (about 3500rpm) before that.

Even more unneccessary to say that one of the Fanblades broke of and the Card (and my whole Computer) began to vibrate like crazy.

(I bought a new Fan which was about 21$ on Amazon and repaired it, but anyway...)

Or when I broke the USB 3.0 Connector on my new Motherboard by bending a Pin trying to get that damn cable in there...

When I finished my build, I had it all plugged in, tried to switch it on, didn't work, so I moved about my front panel connectors because I assumed those were it, did a bunch of troubleshooting, and guess what the problem was?

... I forgot to switch on the power supply.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Lets see....

Very first build way back in 02' I set the mobo jumper to "Clear CMOS" prior to first boot. Walked away from it for a couple of days and went back. tried switching on and nothing. went through the whole thing, tore it all down, re-installed every component. Still nothing. looked over the board and... DOH, that jumper was still set to "Clear CMOS".

Can't honestly say I have not forgotten/not done something since as it taught me the principle of "check everything" before first boot.

Now I have said that, we will see what my current (re)build has in store for me....

Instructions ? WHAT?!?!?! A man don't need instructions!       Oh............wait a minute...........................What's this bit for?  aaaaaagh!!
Vita imitatur artem, imitantur vitae
Lenovo M73 10AXS38G00 i7 4785T 2.20GHz, 16GB Ram, WD Black2 1.2TB Dual Drive, W7 64bit Ultimate, Lightscribe mulit-write Optical.
Lenovo M73 10AXS06G02 G3220T 2.6Ghz, 6GB RAM, 320GB HDD, W7U, Stock DVD Optical
Lenovo T420 42369N8, i5 2520M 2.5/3.2GHz, 16GB Ram, 256GB SSD (iOS 10.13.6 High Sierra), 750GB WD HDD (W7 Ultimate) Dual Boot, Lightscribe mulit-write Optical.
Lenovo L412 4403CT0, i5 520M, 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 320GB HDD Win7 Ultimate Stock DVD Optical.
Custom (re)Build Tower (WIP). Asus Prime B350 Plus Mobo, GTX 960 GPU, Custom MOD Watercooling, Gamemax Falcon Case (two windowed side panels), RGB fans, dual rad CPU loop with 240 & 280 Rads, 120 GPU Rad. RGB Fittings, RGB & BL case lighting. Custom acrylic internal shields/shrouds. Remainder TBD.

Not really when building a computer, but once I turned off the ability to use an external GPU on my motherboard (an ASRock AB350M that, despite not having any external video outputs, can do that) and realized that I had to figure out how to clear the CMOS with the jumper.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Plugging 240v in a 120v PSU(Forgetting to move the switch in the back). Not a nice moment...

Plugging the floppy power connector 1 pin ahead.(And reversed too !)

After that I had a small fireplace inside my pc .

bad times fixing an old Pentium 4 pc

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

Inserting the first gear instead of the third for overtaking at 115 km/h. Poor under powered company car.:( First time stick shift in 12 years. My personal cars are all some kinds of overpowered automatics.

1 minute ago, DataEmo said:

Inserting the first gear instead of the third for overtaking at 115 km/h. Poor under powered company car.:( First time stick shift in 12 years. My personal cars are all some kinds of overpowered automatics.

Worst Tech mistake

I'm not sure that's what was meant...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Is your car organic?

Then probably the accidentally swapped neutral and live in my polyphase distribution board. 400 volts on the wall sockets produces a lot of magic smoke. Conclusion: 2 power supplies,a light bulb and one monitor killed.

One time when I was first getting into computers I told somebody on a forum that he could flip a small switch on the back of his power supply in order to turn on a testing mode, because someone else had told me that. Unfortunately, I later learned that the switch is there to set the PSU to 120/240 volts. I never heard from this guy again, so I don't know if he realized I was dumb or if he blew up his PC...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Selling my Nintendo 3DS which was an Ambassador model. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

...I later learned that the switch is there to set the PSU to 120/240 volts...

The worst that can happen in the US is a PC that doesn't start till the switch is flipped again. Here in Europe it is more "fun" like my 400 volts fault.