Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Buying an Antec case that had faulty front panel connectors which I didn't see because the problem was right at the top where the switches were, so hidden, that fried my motherboard, lucky that's the only thing that fucking case took with it.

Naturally I contacted Antec and their response was and I quote "Not our problem."

Lesson learned never to buy an Antec product ever again, not because it had a faulty problem, it could happen to any manufacturer, but because of their response.

And no I did not install the motherboard incorrectly or the front panel wires.

On my first PC? Didn't make any real mistake. Everything just worked out fine without issues.

My mistakes started with my second PC, first one being choosing an AMD CPU, that caused nothing but issues(Hypertransport Sync Flood Error), buying multiple motherboards, ram and another cpu with a different stepping hoping it would fix the issue... nope. So much money was wasted on that computer trying to make it work... It never did.

Second one being destroying the CPU socket after I switched to Intel, by inserting the CPU sideway like a distracted dumbass. From there everything worked for 7 years so far.

Oh and like anyone else, I also did forget plugging the power cable and wondering why it wouldn't boot.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Connected power LED backwards. Took case back to Microcenter and they tested it and it worked fine. Took me a few more weeks to realize the problem

To be honest, I once forgot to install the standoffs, so I screwed the motherboard directly to the case while I was thinking I already installed that standoffs.

The entire time I was sure I did install the standoffs, then when I wanted to install the video card and tv tuners (this was a build for someone else) the metal on the back of the case didn't quite line up so I forced the metal to bend in order to install everything. I thought it was really just a garbage case.

Finished, started the system wouldn't boot, then I check if everything was plugged in and for some reason I unplugged the usb 2.0 front panel connects from the motherboard and the system booted perfectly with no standoffs and it worked for some months in that way.

It was only after the guy bought a new case and wanted me to put everything in the new case, did I notice that I didn't install the standoffs.

Do anyone know why it worked perfectly fine as long as the front panel usb 2.0 connects weren't connected?

Plugged a AGP card into a PCI-E portxD

My first build? Nothing. Everything was flawless. Probably because I meticulously built the thing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:41 PM, Max Caulfield said:

Forgot to put the I/O shield

Me as well xD.

I also had a case-fan cable stuck between the IO shield and the motherboard... and then realizing the cable wasn't long enough AFTER I screwed everything else in -_-.

Buying a $35 CAD air cooler while trying to overclock a non-delidded i7-7700k.

Admittedly, it was a great toaster.

Bought a mobo which was compatible with my CPU, but needed a bios update... unfortunately to upgrade the bios you needed a supported CPU, which I did not have... took days to figure that out, replaced the mobo, tried everything until I got it... needed to buy a new BIOS Chip with the newest BIOS... then all worked fine ;)  

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

13 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

That's really weird.  I told them I thought I had an issue with my R9 Fury and they jumped right on that.

People have different experiences, what they do to one person isn't always the same they do to another.

My card died later with the same issue, so that is why I won't buy sapphire anymore.

But you won't see me hating and telling nobody should buy their products due my experience with them.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

First time I installed a GPU I didn't realise I had to plug in the 6 pin connector and spent the day thinking I'd killed it when I got a black screen. The first time I then built a PC I forgot to put in the motherboard standoffs

Oh, building it went fine. It took forever, since I was teaching myself how to do it as I went, but after a week of working on it after school, it ran phenomenally. I was so happy.

The Mistake arose when I upgraded my system three years later when I did my second build, and realized that I never updated the BIOS. Ever.

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

3 years ago I almost bought DDR4 ram for a DDR3 build...

Thank god I asked a friend to look over the build before I ordered.

Case: fractaldesign Meshify C

Motherboard: ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB Gaming Z

CPU: AMD R9 3900x

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62

RAM: Team TForce Dark Pro 32 GB (4x8) 3200 CL14

Storage 1: Samsung XP491 256 GB SSD

Storage 2: Seagate 2TB Barracuda HDD

Storage 3: Western Digital 500 GB Blue HDD

28 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

True, but their staff could have changed.  I have had a similar experience, but it was with a known bad one, MSI.

Well in such a sort time I do not thinkso. And to be honest they aren't really dominant in the market anymore. Or am I out to date on their stuff?

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Never made a mistake when actually building.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

• Not locating where all the pins go before installing the motherboard.
  • Not disassembling the case a bit before installing the motherboard.
  • Not installing the IO Shield before installing the motherboard.
  • Not buying a fan splitter for my 4 case fans
  • Not downloading an anti-virus as soon as I booted up Windows 10
  • Installing the graphics card before connecting all of the pins beneath it.
  • Going for Micro ATX (it's just as big as ATX but not nearly as roomy)

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Bought a FX 9590 processor and didn't check motherboard compatibility. After that I've never complained about Intel chips needing new motherboards every generation as AMD has shown me that keeping the same socket until its stale only invites unusual compatibility issues with newer chips.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

I bought a 600 dollar bre built. Several months later it suddenly started to shut off on its own. Not knowing wat was wrong with it at the time, i took it apart and checked the wires. All seemed fine. I put it pack together and tyrned it on. The heatsink fan wouldnt spin. So i took the fan off and tried cleaning it. The blades snapped off. I was out a heatsink so i scrapped it. Now that i look back at it it mightve just been the PSU or my outlet. And no i didnt get a warranty wen i bought it. Thats my tech mistake story. 

i wasn't going to post on this thread as it was made in 2013 but seeing that people are still posting (newest being a few minutes ago) so i might as well post anyways.

i am still pretty young so i haven't had very many bad things happen but the worst mistake i have ever made is not backing up my android tablet sounds like a minor thing because most people don't think about backing up their mobile devices as you just expect them to work but in my case not backing it up was a huge mistake as recently (oct 1 2017) it froze then turned off and it have not turned back on since and being that it was my main media device i had a lot of stuff on it which unless i can get it too boot again is lost (Yes i have tried a hard reset it did not work.) worst part is that i had the password for one of my secondary email accounts stored on it (which is just as stupid if not stupider than not backing up your stuff)

seriously backup your mobile devices especially if it is an older android device as they can crash and die

When I was younger I forget to plug in the cooling fan on my Intel Pentium 4 took me a few minutes of wondering why it was running so slow didn’t even turn it off. Just plugged it in while it was running and waited for it to speed back up it got so hot it warped the fan shroud a bit could even smell roasting plastic.

My first build was an office PC for my dad. I literally didn't screw up at all, which was surprising considering I had only a vague idea of what I was doing. It booted on my first try, and everything was detected and running at the right speeds.

Forgot to flip the PSU switch on, spent 10 frantic minutes trying to figure out what wire was not connectedO.o But in my defense there were no other issues!

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410