Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Eh I think the worst thing I did to a PC in recent memory was that I bent a couple of the 90 degree USB 3.0 header pins

At least the board has a upright USB 3 header.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Eh I think the worst thing I did to a PC in recent memory was that I bent a couple of the 90 degree USB 3.0 header pins

At least the board has a upright USB 3 header.

:o lol

You say lol a lot lol

The worst thing I ever did was tear off the USB 3.0 front panel connector into the connector on the motherboard on a Fractal Arc Midi R2. It's still stuck in the slot.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

You say lol a lot lol

The worst thing I ever did was tear off the USB 3.0 front panel connector into the connector on the motherboard on a Fractal Arc Midi R2. It's still stuck in the slot.

because i laugh a lot probaby

3 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

because i laugh a lot probaby

That's probably a good thing. People need to laugh more.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

That's probably a good thing. People need to laugh more.

yeah but im also a serious guy |: 

14 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

The thing freaking sparked lol...it was totally unexpected lol. i actually ran 

and that was the end of my ram slot r.i.p

any of you ever did something as stupid as that ? lol

I inserted a AGP x8 graphics card into a ..... get this ...... PCI-E portxD

s-l1000.jpg

I neglected to check that the little groove in the bottom was the correct way...snapped a stick in half trying to get the bracket to snap in!

Always check your RAM orientation! xD

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

I neglected to check that the little groove in the bottom was the correct way...snapped a stick in half trying to get the bracket to snap in!

Ah I almost did that the first time I installed RAM, didn't quite break anything though.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Ah I almost did that the first time I installed RAM, didn't quite break anything though.

I say in half...it just split up the PCB. I was so focused on hearing the little brackets snap and just thought it was a stubborn dimm. :(

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

I say in half...it just split up the PCB. I was so focused on hearing the little brackets snap and just thought it was a stubborn dimm. :(

It was a stubborn DIMM of sorts, very stubborn indeed...;)

1 hour ago, IamODIN said:

The thing freaking sparked lol...it was totally unexpected lol. i actually ran 

and that was the end of my ram slot r.i.p

any of you ever did something as stupid as that ? lol

How in god's name did you do that? You must have tried to plug the RAM stick in while there was power being supplied to the motherboard - RAM isn't hot-swappable anyway so even if it was DDR2, you probably would have still bricked your RAM slot (and frankly, that's pretty best case).

1 hour ago, Ezzy-525 said:

s-l1000.jpg

Man... they're keyed for a reason xD lmao

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Actually came across this in a mobo manual earlier today:

GQM9paF.png

So much for the foolproof design :D

9 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

Actually came across this in a mobo manual earlier today:

GQM9paF.png

So much for the foolproof design :D

Well I mean the design is foolproof in-so-much as that you literally have to break the module in half to "try" and force it in backwards :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Disclaimer: I was very young. Though I wasn't that dumb. It was like later than late and I hadn't slept until it was too late. This all happened pretty quickly. I saw the scratched disc and within a few seconds decided I'd try my alternative solution.

My COD Modern Warfare 1 disc had a few scratches. I decided I didn't want to pay my GAME store £5 or £10 or however much it was to repair the disc. I also didn't want to go to town and buy one of those £20 disc repair kits which looked like a cd player and all it did was squirt cheap juice on your disc, then rub it around in circles.

I did the clever thing and repaired it myself. I didn't know how they did it at GAME but I took a guess. I assumed it had something to do with fancy lasers.

Maybe light would work?

I put it up to the light bulb

The plastic bended it did

Fixed.

Edited by Alir

I have not played COD MW1 since that fateful day. Twas a good game.

Would I buy it again? Nah. I thought the next several COD games would be far better anyways.

4 hours ago, Alir said:

Disclaimer: I was very young. Though I wasn't that dumb. It was like later than late and I hadn't slept until it was too late. This all happened pretty quickly. I saw the scratched disc and within a few seconds decided I'd try my alternative solution.

My COD Modern Warfare 1 disc had a few scratches. I decided I didn't want to pay my GAME store £5 or £10 or however much it was to repair the disc. I also didn't want to go to town and buy one of those £20 disc repair kits which looked like a cd player and all it did was squirt cheap juice on your disc, then rub it around in circles.

I did the clever thing and repaired it myself. I didn't know how they did it at GAME but I took a guess. I assumed it had something to do with fancy lasers.

Maybe light would work?

I put it up to the light bulb

The plastic bended it did

Fixed.

wow this is embarrassing LOL

Roughly 10 years ago, I had an Athlon XP rig. I noticed some temperature spikes on the CPU so I decided to give it a sustained load to see if it would overheat. Totally unrelated in the end.

After about 5 minutes, the PSU exploded with a very loud pop, magic smoke and everything. Everything else was fine.

Yay for crappy PSUs with insuficcient current on the 5V rail hah. These days, everything basically runs on 12V but not in the old Athlon days, oh no.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

32 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Roughly 10 years ago, I had an Athlon XP rig. I noticed some temperature spikes on the CPU so I decided to give it a sustained load to see if it would overheat. Totally unrelated in the end.

After about 5 minutes, the PSU exploded with a very loud pop, magic smoke and everything. Everything else was fine.

Yay for crappy PSUs with insuficcient current on the 5V rail hah. These days, everything basically runs on 12V but not in the old Athlon days, oh no.

this happened to a friend of mind once. and she brought it for me to repair 

3 hours ago, IamODIN said:

wow this is embarrassing LOL

FYI, repairing a CD or DVD has nothing to do with lasers :P

They literally use a buffer pad, that looks like one of those polisher cloths, plus a special lubricant, to shave off a few millimeters worth of the plastic coating.

Most of a DVD is just clear plastic. The actual "data" is underneath the label in a very thin layer in between the label and the clear plastic "bottom".

• 2 months later...

So was wondering  what your worst mistake in a build? Mine was cleaning thermal from a 1151 socket and pulling  some pins while using a alchowipe.

This was ~12 years ago: Remember that youtube and so on didn't exist at that time. I had little knowledge and tried to build my first PC. I mounted my mainboard into my PC without standoffs and turned it on :$ Of course it was destroyed but I returned it and said it was DOA. I got a new one without a problem xD

I also bought the wrong RAM because I believed a person on a forum without double checking his recommendation.

I bought my Mom a used iMac Pro Power PC last year so she could watch Youtube videos and check her email. She was on a budget and I think I paid 140$ for it. Turns out HTML5 videos isn't compatible with the PowerPC processor. Wha whaaa. Thinking about modding the tower to fit my PC. Still not sure what I'll do with it.

Trying to stop a PSU fan from freaking out with a metal screwdriver.

Let's just say that I was surprised.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.