Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I got a fan wire stuck behind the IO shield, and that meant i had to removed the gpu, which i couldnt get the release switch, the mobo- 1 screw got stuck, and the IO shield was a bitch to move

Also this happened after I spent an hour putting a customer's laptop back together.  Hardly my first time working on a computer, but it was still horrible.

20170930_121950.thumb.jpg.5384037a4c93c1491e9b3ee9a78cd357.jpg

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Didn't really make any mistakes from memory, then again we're back over 10 years ago so. But plenty of times i've forgotten the 4 pin EPS for the CPU or turning the PSU on or sata power for a drive, just minor stupid shit.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Made only one small mistake that was enough to make me sweat for a day....... I wired the front panel wrongly....

bought a lighting kit cuz it was cheap only to realize that my case didn't have a clear side panel

I just didn't turn in on. Also the AMD stock cooler was too tight for the CPU so yeahhhhhhhhh.

On 08/10/2017 at 10:21 PM, minervx said:

Not downloading an anti-virus as soon as I booted up Windows 10

Do people still download anti-virus software?

I am quite happy with Windows Defender + common sense.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Paid 800$ for a a10 6800k, 8gb of ram, wd 1tb blue, and a 750ti in 2013, the 750ti needed a 6pin and i needed an adapter. Ew.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I forgot to plug the power cables to the GPU and spent 35 minuets freaking out, then felt really dumb.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

Everything was smooth sailing on the first PC I built. Though there was an issue with the power supply I had that made me do some sort of ghetto hack job.

It's usually things after that that screw things up. Like this one time I didn't apply enough pressure to my video card when getting a new heat sink for it and nearly melted the darn thing.

2 hours ago, Eibe said:

Do people still download anti-virus software?

I am quite happy with Windows Defender + common sense.

windows defender is bad.  it blocked several of my safe programs and none of my viruses

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Didn't account for ram clearance vs my Noctua cooler. Its this one thing that is making me consider going to water cooling on my next rig.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, GamingMemeKing said:

What mistakes or issues did you encounter (if any) when building your first PC?

Buying everything the cheapest so computer looked like a rainbow of colors.

Forgot a hard drive so I had to quickly run and grab an old NAS drive to load Linux onto for testing while I got a drive. And putting the I/O shield on backwards...

rhythm games are best fight me

1. got a fan lead stuck between i/o shield and mobo. 

2. that caused mt to force the graphics card into it, I thought I would break it

3. connected the power button to the reset button and freaked out

4. forgot to turn on psu and flipped out

Pretty proud i didn't make any mistakes other than bending cpu pins because i couldnt find the directional arrow on the socket so i had to bend them back into place with tweezers and that was it 

Screwing in a motherboard screw, screwdriver slipped, broke a chip off the board.  Dead board.

At some point managed to flip the power switch on the power supply to 110v.  It went BANG.  Dead power supply.

Stanley knife slipped when de-lidding a CPU.  Dead CPU.

This is over many years and are the highlights of my disasters.

Haha  so many memories i really don't know about the biggest because they have been many mistakes that i have made but the one that i have done severally is getting needlessly expensive CPUs- like the i7 for a mid-range gaming PC. 

I still don't know where, but on my first system i had a short somewhere which would shut it down. I ended up laying it down to take everything out ( I didn't test beforehand either) and after taking out 2 screws i for some reason tried to boot it, it booted, and i put the 2 screws back in and it still works to this day

Installed motherboard without installing stand offs first luckily no permanent damage...

6 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

- Bought an APU and a GPU.

- Cross-fired

I nearly did that, except I never got a crossfire compatible GPU lol

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 10/6/2017 at 8:44 PM, Firecheetah13 said:

Forgot to turn on PSU.

The Classic 

Installed standoffs on a case (In-Win 703 black/red) that had a sort of raised portion of the plate where the mobo goes, so the standoffs were unnecessary.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 2 weeks later...

The thing freaking sparked lol...it was totally unexpected lol. i actually ran 

and that was the end of my ram slot r.i.p

any of you ever did something as stupid as that ? lol