Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

plugging in a sata power connector on the power supply but plugged it in to a PCI/ CPU slot instead of a IDE/SATA slot. I fried 3 1tb drives..

Penguins or something random

Spoiler

(Main) Liquid Shadow V3 CPU: 5960x@ 4.7, Mobo: EVGA X99 Classified,RAM:G.Skill 16Gb 2666 ,GPU: 2 GTX 980Ti ClassifiedsPSUEvga Supernova 1000G1,Storage: Sandisk Ultra 2 480gb, WD Blue 1tb x3Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 25th Anniversary Edition 

Liquid Shadow V1 CPU4790k@ 4.7, Mobo: MSI Z87X-Power,RAM:G.Skill Sniper 16Gb OC@1866 ,GPU:  2 Sapphire 290x's watercooled, PSUEvga Supernova 1000G1,Storage: Sandisk Ultra 2 480gb, WD Blue 1tbCase: Cooler Master HAF X

Extra Rig: Cpu: 4790k@4.7, Mobo: MSI Z87X-Power, Ram: 32Gb Corsair Vengeance/G.Skill Sniper,  GPU: 3 GTX Titans, Psu: Evga Supernova 1300G2, Storage: Case: Cooler Master HAF X

(First Rig)The Enforcer: CPU: FX 8350@ 4.6,Mobo: Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3,RAM: HyperX 8gb @2133,GPU: Diamond Multi Media r9 290,PSU: XFX XTR 750, Storage: Adata Premier SP550 480gb, Case: HAF 912

Peripherals Razer Naga Epic Original, Razer Deathadder,Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum, Logitech G13, HyperX Cloud  

cheaping out on powersupply, that poor 9600 gt, saddest thing was that the gpu and psu only had 1 year warranty and it fried at the 13th month

Buying this computer without a video card, and not having to be able to upgrade. 

i only was planning to play Minecraft, OK!

But im getting a new one soon ($2500 ish) :3

Probably either updating to Windows 10 or updating my BIOS...

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W

Funny how on this forum it's a bad thing to be an AMD fanboy but being a Nvidia fanboy is fine. Double standards much?

That's because they became the 'budget solution'. They're pulling themselves back though just give them some time and i think we'll all like them better :P

(Specifically cpu's. Gpu's are pretty good atm, i think it's just ignorance assuming they're bad)

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Funny how on this forum it's a bad thing to be an AMD fanboy but being a Nvidia fanboy is fine. Double standards much?

That's because they're obviously inferior! Why would you become a fan of something that is just not good?  :ph34r:

(Sorry, I couldn't resist^^)

What's up with your NVidia card that you regret buying it? My PC saw a 7600GT, followed by 5770, 6870 and currently a GTX 970 and they all did live up to their purpose IMHO.

On topic: Getting an Zenbook for University without a dedicated GPU - cheaped out on an additional 100 / 200 bucks. Now I'm stuck with the iGPU while I am at my parents... :-/

(Though, since I just RMA'd it for the second time, using the exact same box they sent it back from the first RMA I kind of regret buying Asus in the first place...  :unsure: And I usually really like their products.)

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Buying this computer without a video card, and not having to be able to upgrade. 

i only was planning to play Minecraft, OK!

But im getting a new one soon ($2500 ish) :3

Why spending so much?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I was unplugging a molex power connector from my fan controller, and it was extremely tight. Took a lot of force to get it out, and once I did, my hand smacked my CPU cooler(with a lot of force) and probably damaged something.

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

paid £300 for a Xbox one "I still cry at night about this mistake"

My PC: i5 4690k===MSI GAMING 3===980TI===8GB-Corsair-Vangence-Pro-Series===H100i-GTX===EVGA G2 750W===Samsung 850evo m.2 boot drive===Samsung 250gb evo SSD===Seagate-Barracuda-1TB-HDD===NZXT-H440

Installed new mobo, CPU, AIO watercooler for that, GPU and RAM yesterday. Today I wondered why the front panel USB wasn't working. I had it plugged in to the mobo upside down :|

Easy mistake to make since my previous mobo had it facing the other way, so the cable was so bent in one direction I just plugged it in without really thinking about it. As it's for USB you'd expect it to only plug in one god damn way anyway ...

Installed new mobo, CPU, AIO watercooler for that, GPU and RAM yesterday. Today I wondered why the front panel USB wasn't working. I had it plugged in to the mobo upside down :|

Easy mistake to make since my previous mobo had it facing the other way, so the cable was so bent in one direction I just plugged it in without really thinking about it. As it's for USB you'd expect it to only plug in one god damn way anyway ...

Isn't there a notch to make sure you don't install it wrong?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Isn't there a notch to make sure you don't install it wrong?

There is a notch, but it's not enough to stop that from happening :/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So do tell, what's the most idiotic, stupid or silly thing you've done whilst building a computer or just with a computer in general!

I'm thankful I had my dad to show me how to do my first few builds but the stupidest thing I've done has to be deciding I no longer wanted my Ubuntu dual boot and just formatting the partitions related to Ubuntu. Little did I know that when you install Ubuntu alongside windows it takes over the boot manager and as a result I removed the boot manager.

Few hours later and a lot of fiddling around in the command prompt through a recovery disk I managed to get it to boot into windows again haha. All the fixes I found were for windows 8.1/7 and I was on windows 10. Yeah... never again.

Forget to plug in my pump.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

A friend once plugged the molex cables into the PCI express cables, still wondering how that didn't kill his PSU

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Forget to plug in my pump.

My pump is connected to a separate psu, once i forgot to turn that on for about an hour.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'm hoping to avoid having to post here, ever...

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

forgot the standoffs... and burned a motherboard... which managed to remain functional for more than a year after being burned...

forgot the standoffs... and burned a motherboard... which managed to remain functional for more than a year after being burned...

"What's that smell?" "Oh just burning my motherboard. Don't mind me."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch