Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Bought a used 4670k for 190usd only to find out a used 4690k came out a week later at the same price.

Also, a used 2500k along with high-end ram sticks (Corsair Dominators) and a high-end motherboard came up for 210usd...

lol

Don't know if this one's a blunder but it's definitely not computer-savvy of me: Bought a 30in dell monitor for 300 bucks when I could've bought it's 27in brother for 200 bucks. 3 more inches and 200 more vertical pixels isn't worth 100 bucks lol

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

Buying an AX760 when I could have bought an EVGA G2 650W for half the price... when I look back I just think "Why the hell did I do that?"

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Buying an extended warranty for a laptop from Futureshop. Basically when it says 3 year warranty it is not on top of the manufacturer, it runs concurrently. They also added warranty void stickers to the screws.

I worked there, the expiry date is printed on the bill, and you would have had 14 days to return the warranty had you felt you've been mislead. Many clients have been confused by this in the past though.

Also the in-store tech would never stick on warranty void stickers, that would be the manufacturer at the factory.

My biggest blunder was buying a gtx 770 (new) about 2 months before the 970 came out at the same price :(

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Bricked a card that was gonna be my card for the next 2-3 years.. back on the 660 now. sigh. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Actually it was either FS or the depot that did stick on the stickers. LG only had one, FS/depot added their own stickers on each and every screw on the laptop. I learned my lesson and won't buy extended warranties from a retailer, just get it from the manufacturer.

Ahh could very well have been the repair depot. Yeh those warranties are really hit and miss... and one thing to note is that dealing with the manufacturer is NEVER as hard as the salesperson will lead you to believe it is. Most companies have excellent customer service and quick repair/replacement.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

what card? I have unbricked cards before

Didnt know that was thing... have it here with me was gonna give it another go. Tis an Asus 290. 

How'd you kill it?

Not 100%, but i was installing an Aio, and i'm guessing that it was the alcohol i used to clean it. (it had residue of other oils (read this after the fact and but it for regular covered cpu dies)). 

Not 100%, but i was installing an Aio, and i'm guessing that it was the alcohol i used to clean it. (it had residue of other oils (read this after the fact and but it for regular covered cpu dies)). 

Wouldn't a full 99% Isopropyl alcohol bath and a dry for a day make it work again? I've seen it done before.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

diddnt put standoffs in the case

3 motherboards died before i figured out what the problem was

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

try re cleaning the card, making sure no thermal paste is on the capacitors right next to the gpu die. I have repaired a water damaged 6950 before. This one sounds easier, strangely.

Fun story,

i was building a computer, dropped a screw in the case, had tea in left hand and searched screw with right hand, tea got in PC, pc ded.

==

I was dusting out my laptop from inside, broke the on/off button connector on motherboard.

WOW

laptop name?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

diddnt put standoffs in the case

waist of 200$

;-;

I did this too once, actually, first ever build... the board was fine, I ran it for months with no standoffs before I realised :)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Wouldn't a full 99% Isopropyl alcohol bath and a dry for a day make it work again? I've seen it done before.

must try it. But i have yet to grab more alcohol. 

try re cleaning the card, making sure no thermal paste is on the capacitors right next to the gpu die. I have repaired a water damaged 6950 before. This one sounds easier, strangely.

Will do, thanks for the hope guys.

Has there ever been any problems with methanol with leaving residue? 

It's a HP Pavilion dv6, im still using it haha. My HP motherboard has a fingerprint sensor connector so i replaced it with that.

lolk

Bought a dell...... Or a *real* mistake was when building a circuit on a bread board I may have blew up a £20 logic chip....... Yeah, wasn't a very happy bunny at all when i discovered my blunder. 

Delidding my new i7 4700k first without using a cheaper one to get accustomed on how to do it first. Stabbed the CPU with my utility knife. It's dead

Now using a delidded i5 4600k

uhm well... where to begin?

Two cases;

NZXT Phantom Special Edition (Black + Orange)

NZXT Phantom 820 (current case)

Corsair 380T

SSD:

Kingston V300

HDD:

LaCie 500GB ext drive (died after 4 years of being carried around, took most of my data with it, managed to save 2/3rds)

PSU:

Generic not even 80+ shit with NO overcurrent or overvolt protection (which is how i managed ot pull 750w out of a 600w PSU for like a week. thank god for a cold winter or else it would have died sooner)

RAM:

Kingston FURY 1866MHz CL9 4x4GB (My FX refused to run more then 1600 when using all 4 DIMM slots)

FANS:

Corsair AF

Noctua NF-F14 IPPC 3000rpm PWM fans -> they are fantastic! and they are fantastically loud too :(

Cooler Master Sickle Flow

and the list goes on

GTX 960 2gb. I should've gotten a 4gb version or a 380.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace