Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

"What's that smell?" "Oh just burning my motherboard. Don't mind me."

"If it boots it's fine. Don't mind the smell."

Similarly, I once accidentally formatted the wrong drive on installing a new version of windows. All that media storage, ouch.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Buy a AMD CPU.

licked my cpu to clean off thermal paste. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

licked my cpu to clean off thermal paste. 

Did you put NUTELLA as thermal paste?

apparently, you can

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I f***ed up my onboard audio twice in a row. (different motherboards)

I still can't find the problem.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

So do tell, what's the most idiotic, stupid or silly thing you've done whilst building a computer or just with a computer in general!

I'm thankful I had my dad to show me how to do my first few builds but the stupidest thing I've done has to be deciding I no longer wanted my Ubuntu dual boot and just formatting the partitions related to Ubuntu. Little did I know that when you install Ubuntu alongside windows it takes over the boot manager and as a result I removed the boot manager.

Few hours later and a lot of fiddling around in the command prompt through a recovery disk I managed to get it to boot into windows again haha. All the fixes I found were for windows 8.1/7 and I was on windows 10. Yeah... never again.

I put the 8 pin end and not 4+4 pin cpu end in the motherboard. Thank fully it didn't do anything bad andI may have taken it out before or a little after I tried to do a test boot outside of the case. 

I put the 8 pin end and not 4+4 pin cpu end in the motherboard. Thank fully it didn't do anything bad andI may have taken it out before or a little after I tried to do a test boot outside of the case. 

You mean the EPS 8 pin or the PCIe 8 pin?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Did routine cleaning of my PC. Long story short - i forgot to replace the thermal paste, and had only noticed 50 minutes later after running GTA that i'd forgotten to put some thermal-paste back on

forgot the standoffs... and burned a motherboard... which managed to remain functional for more than a year after being burned...

While mine isn't forgetting, my standoffs aren't complete. Its been over a year so I don't remember all the details, but I'm missing 2 I think in the top right. Made one hell of a day trying to get the damn 24 pin cable out when I changed my power supply last month. It just didn't want to let go. So much mobo bending and anticipated damage...

--snip snip-- didnt notice it was already here x)

Did you put NUTELLA as thermal paste?

apparently, you can

nope, that would be a good idea.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

You mean the EPS 8 pin or the PCIe 8 pin?

EPS

EPS

I'm slightly confused because that's a CPU power connector. The 4+4 connector is functionally the 8 pin EPS connector.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It was during one of my first builds a little over 10 or so years ago. I was building a computer at a friend's place and the computer didn't want to turned on when the assembly was finished, despite the fact that it had worked outside of the case. So it's probably the motherboard standoff right? Nope. No extra or misplaced standoff, as well as the computer no longer turning on outside of the case either.

After a while, I decided to go back home to get my spare PSU, and that power supply worked. So I had putted everything back in, undo the cable management, and getting ready to RMA the unit. Then my friend's little sister came home with their mom. After hearing what's up, she was like "'oh, that's because the power switch for that outlet is off' -flipping on the switch and smile cutely".

Apparently, I'd flipped that switch off for some reason, and the spare PSU I had used was on a different outlet.

___

Other stuff I did was accidentally cutting cables of my power supply because I didn't pay attention when undoing my cable management.

I once pumped 36.1 volts through a circuit with a single 150ohm resistor. It lit up like a ultrabright LED... but only for a few seconds. Good thing I wasn't stupid enough to touch the board, or otherwise I'd probably be dead.

Spoiler

So far I don't think I really wasted my money on random stuff I don't need. While I'm not happy with my 1st build it was the best I could buy at the time. And the ps4 that hasn't been used in months was a good buy at the time, I didn't expect myself buying a gaming pc so it also made sense for me

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Wanted to do a bios update through MSI Live update. I made sure all applications were closed before I updated it but Steam popped up at the last minute. Got a bsod and motherboard died.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

Wanted to do a bios update through MSI Live update. I made sure all applications were closed before I updated it but Steam popped up at the last minute. Got a bsod and motherboard died.

I think your mistake was actually to update the BIOS in Windows.

I was installing Windows 8.1 Pro via USB and unplugged it to put some music on it..