Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Spire TherMax Eclipse II

Trying to mounting it on a AM3 socket was impossible. Bad instructions AND bad mounting hardware :(

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Logitech G700. It was a complete piece of crap. High input lag, uncomfortable, slippery and cheaply made.

I ended up getting the Razer Mamba 2012 for the same price at the time, and it fixed all of those issues plus more.

My Zalman cooler, just because I couldn't mount the thing without breaking my board.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My M-Audio producer usb mic. Bought it when i was starting up my youtube channel and...
I plugged it in after following the usual instructions (install software, restart, plug in mic)
When i plugged it into the usb 2.0 port on my computer it would not detect the mic.
And then i started smelling the horrible mix of freshly welded steel and burnt plastic...
First i looked into the window of my computer with panic spreading through me..
(i built my computer.. and things i build usually catch fire...)
Then i noticed that there was smoke coming out of the mic...
So with a calm and collected "HOLY SH*T!" i grabbed the alumin(i)um shrouded mic and pulled the cable out.
And ran to the window (while my hand was getting quite close to well cooked) and threw it out into the snow.
M-Audio sent me a replacement that does not spontaneously burst into flames and it's pretty good.

Here are some pics.
546765_4348081179296_740462118_n_zps23c2

61803_4348080779286_1934545614_n_zps2ca4

i still have this one stored in an air tight box... since it still stinks XD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

XFX 6200LE

As a child of 11 years saved my pocket money to play games at high detail. I had a P4 at 2.4 GHz.

Purchased the card. Card produced emmence heat around 90-120 degree celcius. Died in one week. XFX no warranty for burnt cards.

Was extremely sad.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150107

I spent about a hundred dollars kitting my rig out with silenx fans and a Swiftech mcx6400 or something (their extreme air cooling heatsink) only to discover that the cooler wasn't very good and silent fans were just rebranded normal fans lol

Probably my Logitech G35... I expected more of it...

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

I spent about a hundred dollars kitting my rig out with silenx fans and a Swiftech mcx6400 or something (their extreme air cooling heatsink) only to discover that the cooler wasn't very good and silent fans were just rebranded normal fans lol

Can't say I'm surprised.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

My asus 7750. Did nor like that...

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #GetWreckt

A zalman CPU cooler. It was a pain to mount and when I went to boot my pc it wouldn't boot if the built in fan was plugged in.

brought a second hand ATI 4870x2, thing never worked

Character artist in the Games industry.

Apple iPad 3 32gb + case set me back 600 euros.

I ended up only using it to play temple run and fruit ninja during university classes (which may be part of the reason why I failed last semester), and right now I don't even use it anymore.

I wished I'd bought a Nexus 7, that thing is awesome for the price (less than half of what my iPad cost me) AND it lets you play mkv files (damn you itunes!) along with so many cool other android features

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

HP Pavillon dv6-6069eo - The worst laptop ever. HDD lasted a year. Fan also a year. i've got no sound unless i use usb speakers. it's just goes on and on

A zalman CPU cooler. It was a pain to mount and when I went to boot my pc it wouldn't boot if the built in fan was plugged in.

Well that's just dumb.

I ended up only using it to play temple run and fruit ninja during university classes (which may be part of the reason why I failed last semester), and right now I don't even use it anymore.

I wished I'd bought a Nexus 7, that thing is awesome for the price (less than half of what my iPad cost me) AND it lets you play mkv files (damn you itunes!) along with so many cool other android features

I own a Nexus 7. It's a pretty sweet tablet.

Apple  ^_^

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

My Nvidia Gt 640 after 6 months of use the sofware say's that the GPU usage is 97% while i'm doing nothing.. 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Well that's just dumb.

Now I think of it, it actually is dumb  :D

Well that's just dumb.

I used the stock cooler instead which was promptly replaced. I could never figure out why that Zalman cooler wouldn't work.

razors destructor matt. £25 for a mat to pair with my Lachesis...

problem is the Lachesis literally scraped across it like its tracking on sand paper.

2 years later it got pulled out to test my rat 7 and wow the rat glides across it like its wet glass.

still at the time the worst purchase for pc i ever made.

so although it turned out ok in the end, i was still pretty bummed out about it when i first got it.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

I used the stock cooler instead which was promptly replaced. I could never figure out why that Zalman cooler wouldn't work.

Can you even replace the stock fan that comes with the cooler?

Nvidia 7800 GS died three times after replaced three times, gave up after that.

Logitech G110 keyboard. Gives BSODs because of the crummy USB implementation which does not follow specs. Keys are super squishy and annoying to type on.

XFX HD5870, wanted to replace the cooler, but the stock cooler's paint had molten onto a coil, and I ended up ripping it off the PCB. XFX obviously did not want to replace anything or take any responsibility. Managed to source a new coil from the coil manufacturer which does samples for their stuff.

Also got a Toshiba Satellite laptop in a trade. It died on me 3 times. All three times the motherboard was replaced. The third time was kind of my own fault, however it was because the repair center forgot to put on the plastic cap that normally sits in a USB plug, so I accidentally put the power plug into it as the USB connector was located nearby the one for power.

Can you even replace the stock fan that comes with the cooler?

By stock cooler I meant the one that came with my CPU. I have the zalman still in one piece in a cupboard somewhere.