Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

lol well that's what happens when you don't invest in the most important part of the system :)

Still using a computer that I put together using the old parts of my brother's PC... (when I turn 18 I'll buy my gamerig, finally  B))

When my brother got a new motherboard and graphics card, I got his old ones, but I didn't check the minimum power the board and graphics card needed ... We all make mistakes, some of us learn it the hard way unfortunately  :D

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Forgetting to fully screw in my H100i. I was about to fully reconnect my case when I saw it begin to tip and quickly caught it. Still glad to be so lucky!

CPU: Intel i7 3960x @4.2 Ghz cooled by Corsair H100i |Case: Corsair 800D | Motherbord: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1600MHz CL9 | Video Card: SLI EVGA GTX 680 Standard Edition
Power Supply: Corsair 1050W Silver | SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | HDD #1: Western Digital 1TB 6Gb/s 10000rpm | HDD #2: Western Digital 1TB 6Gb/s 10000rpm HDD #3: Western Digital 500GB 6Gb/s 10000rpm |
Monitor #1: Asus VK278Q | Monitor #2: Asus VS238H | Monitor #3: Asus VS238H |

Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2012 | Mouse Mat: Steelseries QCK+ | Keyboard: DAS Keyboard Professional S Silent Pro| Headset : AKG K271 MKII | Microphone: AT2020USB

I was doing a 12 hour live stream on twitch raising money for Child's Play (Not the movie). I came back after dinner and got ready to play AC3. I sat on my headset and broke it. I have never since used headsets.

Space is pretty awesome.

Blowing up my power supply when playing Sniper Ghost Warrior.

Wow you must be an amazing shot! :lol:

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Thinking that the performance of a computer was detirmened by HDD size...

Interested in Business and Technology

Thinking that the performance of a computer was detirmened by HDD size...

*-* what did you think when you saw barebone pcs without a hdd? XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

*-* what did you think when you saw barebone pcs without a hdd? XD

I didn't even know what a barebone pc was at the time 

Interested in Business and Technology

I use to had a AMD ATHLON 333Mhz with 2.95Gb of HDD and i wanted to have more space in to the HDD for my copy of resident evil 2 so I deleted the windows and system carpet with all it files and folders hahahaha, on those days i didn´t knew how to install windows 95 so i had to pay 50€ to get it install. after that with the same computer i decided to clean it and see what was inside the case so i disasembled it put it in to my bed, but i didn´t knew how to put it back, i toke me 2 days to make it work. 

with me whoever, ahead who can

Buying Logitech gear three times in a row despite the awful quality, performance and company morals.

Downloading virus-like-looking files even though I kind of knew in the back of my head that I was being retarded.

I was troubleshooting the PC and I inserted a RAM Dimm backwards :blink: . I destroyed one of the two slots on the mobo. The RAM was already dying, so no harm there :)

Have you ever considered a career in boxing, wrestling, truck-towing, or space shuttle transportation?

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

I tried using a 32-bit WIN 7 cd to repair my PC when I have a 64-bit version installed..... It deleted the boot loader file causing me to lose all of my data and forcing me to reinstall win 7

Yeah I've deleted bootloader which caused me like an extra hour or work reinstalling everything!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

my power went out once half way through formatting a USB drive :( had to use a live linux disk to fix it.

relying on the cheap psu that comes with the cabinets!!blue screens and blue screens....

Bought DDR 3 ram for my DDR 2 Motherboard ._.

Bought DDR 3 ram for my DDR 2 Motherboard ._.

What did you do then?  :D

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Just thought of another one I did a while ago which was building a system for someone and forgetting to plug in the 4-pin CPU power and stressing out like crazy because the computer wouldn't do anything.

Then saw the CPU power cable *facepalm* lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I bought a thermaltake PSU :(

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I bought a thermaltake PSU :(

No good then?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

No good then?

I thought those were supposed to be good?

I've never had one, all I go for a Seasonic, OCZ and Corsair

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Returned the ram as faulty :3 And a few days later bought some DDR 2 ram :_:

<_<

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No good then?

It works fine but I read reviews of it now and it's turd :/

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Accidentaly pulling the Ethernet cable of my laptop causing it to fall 2 feet with a cooler under it while it is on almost swearing in front of my parents. nothing broke (atleast i think) still using it now. im actually typing on it right now and playing games on it.

Also, bricking my phone for 3 days and i brought it too school so my parents wouldn't suspect.

Oh, and when i was 13 i wondered what the reset button did and i pushed it while i was browsing.

Bending the usb part of a flash drive. i was putting down my laptop and putting force on it my flash drive bent about 20-30 degrees. still working though.

Aaaaand, i bought a ps3, which i rarely use

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I'll start.

Be two three years back. Finally have enough money to buy a home server for a private game server I was running. Get i7 920, EVGA 3WAY SLI, and 24GB of ram. At that time 12GB (3x4GB) ram was around $700. I needed 24GB. Order two for $1300 (got deal from retailer because big order). One month later, same amount of memory would cost me $750, and two months later price drops to $400. As of now, the same memory would cost me $210 (NewEgg). Nonetheless, 3 years, 1 month, 2 weeks, 5 days later I use 4 modules in my computer and other two are used in my brother's computer. Memory works like a champ, but I consider this to be one of my worst purchases because of poor timing.

About four years back my 17" monitor died so I went to local store to buy a new one. Not much money so I find MAG GML2226 21.5" 1080p for $160. At the time it was a steal. Without any research I bought because I needed monitor anyway. First impressions wow, 22", 1920x1080, so much room for windows. Couple months go by and I buy 2nd 5770 for crossfire and 2 more GML2226 for eyefinity. First impressions; "Awesome". However after about year and half two mintors started bleeding on the edges. One had issues with back lighting. Last year realized that I still had warranty on two of them but company (MAG) went under or something. Lesson learned: "Do research before buying".