Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I once accidentally divided by zero.

Buying adele.

:o  :P lol, that's how I read it.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Blowing up my power supply when playing Sniper Ghost Warrior.

Jesus, what was the PSU and how much did it destroy when it went out?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Accidently selecting the wrong drive and end up formatting my main boot drive :/

The one and only time I took a computer hardware class ONLINE.

I used my desktop to do the labs because I didn't want to drive an hour to school to do labs. 

It was a simple lab assignment, take all the components off the motherboard and place them back on. 

Too bad I forgot to place the CPU cooler back on.

I blame that on I didn't have a box of IC Diamond Thermal Compound laying around hint hint.

No harm was done, the PC shutdown itself and I was at frys the next morning bright and early at 8am to buy thermal paste.

Lol, and you didn't damage the motherboard?

I continued using it for two years after that and never had any problems. Guess I got lucky.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

. : ) i could see me doing that too!

that was my first time at assembling a PC

atleast I didn't ruin anything :D

Thought I'd blown a PSU.

It was a fuse in the power cable :(

Spent $145 on new PSU's and then $1.30 on a 13A Fuse.

I have one of those Silverstone STF50F-230 modular PSUs that has an odd SATA modular cable that has 6 pins in one end. I accidentally plugged that into an identical plug which was supposedly for one of two PCIE 6 pin connectors. Needles to say it fried out my DVD drive the moment I powered on the system. Thankfully, my Hard Disks were plugged into the correct modular plug. I'm now afraid to use the second PCIE plug (where I mistakenly plugged the SATA power cable), and the SATA power cable which fried my DVD drive. For my other SATA devices, I'm using the molex plugs with a SATA power adapter.

Really?

I've done that for years on the same USB drive without any problems (not the hard drives, just pendrives).

no not really i never safely remove it 

Jesus, what was the PSU and how much did it destroy when it went out?

Well it was a 350 or 400, I was playing the game for like an hour when suddenly everything was shut down. At that moment I didn't know what was going on, but the first thing I did was looking if there was something wrong inside my case. As soon as I touched the case I felt that it was too warm, and I smelled something burned. I disconnected everything and came to the conclusion I blew up my PSU, luckily nothing else died!

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Well it was a 350 or 400, I was playing the game for like an hour when suddenly everything was shut down. At that moment I didn't know what was going on, but the first thing I did was looking if there was something wrong inside my case. As soon as I touched the case I felt that it was too warm, and I smelled something burned. I disconnected everything and came to the conclusion I blew up my PSU, luckily nothing else died!

Was it a cheap generic PSU or a decent one?

Also I've only come across a few PSU failures which nothing else was harmed, you're lucky :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Encrypting my main HDD with all my stuff on it with a 256 bit key....Then forgetting the password.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Required a full restore, Was a sad day years of work and pictures gone this was about 3 years ago

Letting someone who can't figure out which button is an ad and which is the real download use my computer.

Yeah i did that once.... lol I ended up spending a week getting all of the viruses off. Oh and what made it better was they tried to fix it because a fake virus scan popped up saying the computer was infected, so they let it do its scan. Well that scan was also a virus that almost totally messed up my computer!

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Required a full restore, Was a sad day years of work and pictures gone this was about 3 years ago

You probably would of been able to get through the encryption key if you had help.... lol

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Not mine but when building a PC a friend when building a PC he plugged up a 4 pin in the wrong way. When it wouldn't turn on we checked all the power  and wasn't in the right way was amazed that it didn't brake anything. 

Was it a cheap generic PSU or a decent one?

Also I've only come across a few PSU failures which nothing else was harmed, you're lucky :)

It was a pretty cheap one, nothing worth  :D

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

i was cleaning my PC and i accedently pushed it off a desk, didn't post after that luckily it was only the mobo that was messed up.

How? I got a good chuckle out of that one. Sorry but that's really funny. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

i broke the sata connector of of my ssd :L 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

It was a pretty cheap one, nothing worth  :D

lol well that's what happens when you don't invest in the most important part of the system :)