Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

As I was about 12 years old, I took my dell PC and put it into a Thermaltake Lanfire case. I basically had to buy a whole new computer... Since no dell parts would fit anywhere. Oh, and the Dell PC had this weird passive to intakefan CPU cooler, that I didn't like and just did not install. 110°C on the CPU np:D Oh ya, and the guy in the PC shop told me that the temp-probe of the lanfire case belongs between the CPU and the socket.

Yes I have a cpu cooler and no cables beneath my CPU now =P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

while assembling my first pc 3 years ago the same one which I use currently I was super cautious with my new(at that time) Core i5-750 I used very light pressure while clipping on the heat sink and it didn't work the next day I took it to the store I bought it from and he just installed the heat sink again applying more pressure and it worked

. : ) i could see me doing that too!

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

While installing my first motherboard I forgot to use the motherboard-standoffs so the board bended pretty badly when I tried to install it. I got it in but the IO section at the back didn't fit properly. So, I took the board back out to see that the plastic pieces that hold all the heatsinks in place where in the way (that's what I thought was the problem  :huh: ). My plan was to cut a bit of the plastic but then I realised I forgot the standoffs.   :)

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

I've set a rule in my house when it comes to my rig. Do not touch.

At least it wasn't my laptop!!! Phewww

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 with all the utilities, games, drivers, backups, music only to realize after its a 32-bit version.

I have 8 Gb of RAM.

Did the exact same thing.

Did the exact same thing.

I think we've all done that at some point without concentrating lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I was working on a client's database, and I was going to change one of the users password.

UPDATE users SET password = md5('pass@2212')

WAIT, OH SHIT

For the non-sql people: I changed everyones password to 'pass@2212'... 

Luckily for me they had a backup, that was only a couple of days old.

See this is when you send out an email to all your users that there was a security breach in the database and that all their passwords were reset to that to protect their data, they have to change to again. 

See this is when you send out an email to all your users that there was a security breach in the database and that all their passwords were reset to that to protect their data, they have to change to again. 

HAHA :D well, that explains that ! :D

Good news everyone...!

You'd have to be very careful about the wording, otherwise people might realize they all have the same passwords. And that would be hell.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I dumped a can of Mountain Dew on my keyboard... my motherboard has never been the same since :'(

I did manage to fix the keyboard (Blackwidow Ultimate) by soaking it in distilled water and letting it dry for a couple days though :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

You'd have to be very careful about the wording, otherwise people might realize they all have the same passwords. And that would be hell.

you'd probably include 2 step validation and make them put in their security question or something (because seriously, if you aren't using two step validation at this point you're BEGGING to have data stolen)

you'd probably include 2 step validation and make them put in their security question or something (because seriously, if you aren't using two step validation at this point you're BEGGING to have data stolen)

Exactly! I don't understand how some websites don't allow or do two step (I.E. my bank). I also can't stand when they have bad password rules (I.E. my bank, MAXIMUM eight characters, cannot use special characters, no need for upper or lower case letters and no need to use numbers).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Exactly! I don't understand how some websites don't allow or do two step (I.E. my bank). I also can't stand when they have bad password rules (I.E. my bank, MAXIMUM eight characters, cannot use special characters, no need for upper or lower case letters and no need to use numbers).

Wait, you CAN'T use special characters? For your bank password? It's like they WANT you to get hacked.

Wait, you CAN'T use special characters? For your bank password? It's like they WANT you to get hacked.

maxpasswordlength.jpg

15" MBP TB

maxpasswordlength.jpg

change banks. I'm serious. 

change banks. I'm serious. 

Lol, sadly, they're one of the largest in Canada, and they're one of the most popular.

They also require you to answer security questions if you try to log on from a different IP. And they lock the account (you have to call in) after five unsuccessful login attempts. 

While they are far from perfect, I'm sticking with them (but seriously, who every made their security system, should be fired... FROM A CANNON!!!)

15" MBP TB

Lol, sadly, they're one of the largest in Canada, and they're one of the most popular.

They also require you to answer security questions if you try to log on from a different IP. And they lock the account (you have to call in) after five unsuccessful login attempts. 

While they are far from perfect, I'm sticking with them (but seriously, who every made their security system, should be fired... FROM A CANNON!!!)

says the piece of grass x3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

While installing my first motherboard I forgot to use the motherboard-standoffs so the board bended pretty badly when I tried to install it. I got it in but the IO section at the back didn't fit properly. So, I took the board back out to see that the plastic pieces that hold all the heatsinks in place where in the way (that's what I thought was the problem  :huh: ). My plan was to cut a bit of the plastic but then I realised I forgot the standoffs.   :)

Lol, and you didn't damage the motherboard?

I remember on my first build I installed the motherboard, but the IO pannel wasn't fitting correctly, so I took the motherboard out, got that to fit, and then realized the CPU cooler couldn't be installed because the CPU cuttout in the case wasn't big enough... I ended up installing, and uninstalling that motherboard a total of like 3 or 4 times.... 

When i was Younger i flipped the voltage switch, and there was a big band and a poof of smoke and i blamed my sister for it 

pulling out a usb drive without safely removing it 

Really?

I've done that for years on the same USB drive without any problems (not the hard drives, just pendrives).

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Blowing up my power supply when playing Sniper Ghost Warrior.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Pulling out USB devices without safe removing will 99.9999999999999% of the time result in nothing happening because of the way Windows works.

15" MBP TB