Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I was troubleshooting the PC and I inserted a RAM Dimm backwards :blink: . I destroyed one of the two slots on the mobo. The RAM was already dying, so no harm there :)

how the hell did you mange that? XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Ripping a hard drive cage out through the front of an old Dell when it was designed to slide out through the back.

i did that with a dvd drive XD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

My most time consuming one was when I got out a dremel, and spent hours tediously grinding away at the hard drive cages of a couple dells, until i realized there was a tab, that you pressed to have them all slide out. The most terrifying time was either when I dropped a stack of motherboards and destroyed two semprons and a pheanom, or when I was case modding with my system still inside, (yeah, stupid, right?) and I drilled through a PCIE 1x slot. It still worked, though!  :lol:

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

I change which drive was active in windows.

The thing wouldn't boot, ad I had to spend alto of time trying to figure out how to fix it in CMD. Only took half an hour.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

My most time consuming one was when I got out a dremel, and spent hours tediously grinding away at the hard drive cages of a couple dells, until i realized there was a tab, that you pressed to have them all slide out. The most terrifying time was either when I dropped a stack of motherboards and destroyed two semprons and a pheanom, or when I was case modding with my system still inside, (yeah, stupid, right?) and I drilled through a PCIE 1x slot. It still worked, though!  :lol:

you sir, need help XD

I change which drive was active in windows.

The thing wouldn't boot, ad I had to spend alto of time trying to figure out how to fix it in CMD. Only took half an hour.

i did that after deleting a second partition i had, if you had a windows recovery disk and ran fix start up problems (or what ever its called) then it would fix it in a minute or two :p

i did that after deleting a second partition i had, if you had a windows recovery disk and ran fix start up problems (or what ever its called) then it would fix it in a minute or two :p

All I had was my laptops recovery disk, and I had already deleted the recovery partition. Also, the windows recovery disk would always scan for problems, then find the issue, and fail to fix it (no idea why) so it had to be done manually.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

not pushing the ram dimm properly into the slot on my first build...

also dropping a screw under the shroud of my sabertooth p67

i was so lazy to take the motherboard out i shook the computer til it fell out =p

trust me, it is not easy to shake an 800d full of stuff...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My worst one to date? I would have to say 6 months ago when i got a H60 hydro for cheap as a open box at a local best buy and when i was installing it in my brother's PC i over did it on the cleaner and got some paste run off down the side of the CPU so i removed his i5 2500k to clean off what dripped to the side, then when re-installing i butterfinger'd it a inch from the cpu socket crushing/breaking about 10 of the cpu socket pins  :o

Probably trying to put a 1333mhz Core2 in an old PC that had a 965 chipset. I didn't know that the 965 only supported up to 1066 and so I thought that upgrading the BIOS would work (Swapped the old core 2 in there) but the BIOS download was corrupt. At that time, I found out that it won't support that CPU so I had to spend a while re-setting the BIOS and CMOS and install a full new bios onto the board. A few hours of frustration but it was all good in the end. It's nothing compared to some of the stuff that you guys have done though  :)

Mmm well I tried to install some LED fans and the LED cable wasn't going to anythin so instead of reading the instructions I just plugged it into one of the pins on my mobo. nek minute my computer is billowing black smoke... Luckily nothing was really damaged but was scary at the time

Mine was probably not doing my proper research when my replacing my old mother board after it short circuited. I bought a completely different motherboard with a completely different chipset. When I had finally finished reinstalling my board, I fired up windows. It didn't boot. I went through the bios and finagled (for l the lack of a better term) through the system boot priorities. Nothing worked. I ended up accidentally deleting most of my partitions and corrupting the OS as a whole. It cost me all of my data and the vast majority of my pride. I eventually learned what the problem was and installed a new version of windows. I will never make that mistake again.

I inserted a ram into a motherboard turned on.  LOL.

I was trying to fix the computer because it does not post.  I suspected the ram so I turned off the PC then removed the ram.  When I will reinstall it I found it too dark so I turned on the computer to plug my usb flashlight.  Having forgotten the pc was turned on, I plugged the ram. LOL. Motherboard was toasted. XD

Anyway it was an old pc it was actually a ddr ram. 

Reformatting a 500GB hard drive so many times it actually now only reads as a 132GB hard drive - this was back when I was stupidly naïve and didn't know that using torrents and P2P services to download stuff also means risking downloading viruses. I also managed to download a virus once that wiped ALL the information from the board that is attached to the hard drive, so the hard drive pretty much "forgot" it was a hard drive and my computer no longer recognized it. I lost soooo much work during that 'event' I actually had to close my small web design business for good.

Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant - Mitchell Kapor

Humans - digital processing units installed in analogue casings....and we wonder why there's so many driver errors and compatibility issues.

http://i.imgur.com/P1xMQEa.png?1

Also;

I needed to delete (files to delete), and I was currently in the directory /home/(files to delete)/(random folder)/(other random folder)/

I accidentally typed rm -rf ../../../, which wiped my entire /home. I meant to type rm -rf ../../

:(

Backups <3

Running everything as root... never again!

I need more SSDs.

Has to be not screwing a hard drive into the HDD cage, feel straight out when I took the cage out. Bye bye drive. Was when they were stupid expensive after the flood, so I ended up having to buy another overpriced drive...

I was clipping the top of my phantom on and it jolted my system, broke my desk and my hard drive and i had to download all my 125gb steam games with a 500kb/s connection. :(

how the hell did you mange that? XD

With enough force, it's possible

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I really enjoy reading through these, aahaha. My worst has to be when i dropped my PC carrying it into my new house. THUD. CRASH. TING. The CPU heatsink tore the socket clean out. Good thing i was just about to buy an upgrade!

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.