Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

buying a motherboard before you finished your specs list and finalized it :) 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

buying a motherboard before you finished your specs list and finalized it :)

I did that, I built my current 'work inprogress' March last year and a month later bought the motherboard, 13 months later finally got it up and running due to lack of money

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

One time tried to upgrade the RAM in my laptop. Once the new ram was inserted it would not boot. I tried to look online about why it was not working, someone told me to take out the battery, then put it back in. That sounds simple enough however, my laptop (Samsung SF410) has an internal battery, so I ended up taking apart the whole thing to get the battery  out. It took along time to put together afterwards and the battery sustains no charge now. I finally figured out that the RAM was not pushed far enough in.......Stupid me........         

CPU: i5 4670k GPU: GTX 770 Mobo: Z87-UD3H RAM: 8Gb Ripjaws Case: Corsair 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

working on a friends pc and after putting in some new memory and grachics card , carefuly plug in the power, nothing 

gripped the case to firmly pushin the power lead , it was loose :D

turned it back on

POP....

had moved the power supply voltage slider from 230 (Aus req) to 115

I had a laptop that loved to heat itself up, especially next to the trackpad that I normally lay my wrist on. There was this one time it got so hot that it felt it was going to burn my hand. I filled a plastic bag with ice cubes then placed it on the hot spot (I was 13). Then I proceeded to go to somewhere I forgot. Then when I was back I found water leaking into my laptop through the keyboard and my laptop was shut off. Tried to turn it back on but only to have it shut off again. Sent it for repair and they did manage to repair it. I heard something was burnt but never knew what was burnt as I never questioned the tech guy since well...I was 13, I was only worried about my fallout 3 save file LOL. Luckily it wasn't the hdd that fried so all my files were safe. Amazingly the laptop still works to this day although it still gets quite warm (105 celcius during full load)

I had a laptop that loved to heat itself up, especially next to the trackpad that I normally lay my wrist on. There was this one time it got so hot that it felt it was going to burn my hand. I filled a plastic bag with ice cubes then placed it on the hot spot (I was 13). Then I proceeded to go to somewhere I forgot. Then when I was back I found water leaking into my laptop through the keyboard and my laptop was shut off. Tried to turn it back on but only to have it shut off again. Sent it for repair and they did manage to repair it. I heard something was burnt but never knew what was burnt as I never questioned the tech guy since well...I was 13, I was only worried about my fallout 3 save file LOL. Luckily it wasn't the hdd that fried so all my files were safe. Amazingly the laptop still works to this day although it still gets quite warm (105 celcius during full load)

did the heat melt the plastic bag? o.o;

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I was helping a friend of mine to build his PC, When we had it all assembled the darn thing wouldn't post... After a long time of troubleshooting we had forgotten the 4pin...

How about falling for ridiculously awesome Steam sale prices at every single one of their big sales?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

While changing some things in my computer, I decided to 'temporarily' leave my 1TB hard drive unmounted (resting on the bottom of the case). I think the vibrations destroyed it and I lost all of the data.

I had a 500GB hard drive die - I think due to a dodgy power supply, but not sure. Smoke started coming out of it anyway and I lost everything on it.

I dropped my laptop which destroyed the hard drive - I lost about 500GB of data. Luckily it happened about a week before the warranty expired so got it replaced.

In a house move years ago, two of my hard drives decided to die on me.

I left a laptop resting against a log burning stove, which later was used. I only noticed when I smelt burning.

I don't have good luck with hard drives, but still haven't learnt to backup my data  :D

did the heat melt the plastic bag? o.o;

lol nah, it was just droplets that formed on the outside of the bag. 

tried to remove a nic card that was sitting above my gtx 670 while the computer was turned on, touched the copper teeth of the nic card against the back of the 670 sparks fly up. luckily the gtx 670 still works perfectly, the nic card however died.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

How about falling for ridiculously awesome Steam sale prices at every single one of their big sales?

thats more of an investment :p

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 with all the utilities, games, drivers, backups, music only to realize after its a 32-bit version.

I have 8 Gb of RAM.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 with all the utilities, games, drivers, backups, music only to realize after its a 32-bit version.

I have 8 Gb of RAM.

That blows >_>

That blows >_>

Like the wind:)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Like the wind:)

or fans :p

or fans :P

Good point lol

The thing I do every year is buy way way to many steam summer sale games and never have time to play them,

Also I was installing a h80 into a friends PC and a drop of sweat went from my forehead right into a Ram slot, and then I powered it forgetting about it, good bye ram luckily that's all that died.

[THE TITAN]

CASECorsair C70 (BLACK+RED Leds) | CPU:  i7 3930k | CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i | MOTHERBOARDASUS Rampage IV Formula | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB | SSD: SAMSUNG 840PRO (512GB) | 

HDD: Western Digital Black (2TB)+(2TB) GPUGTX TITAN X2 IN SLI | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | SOUND CARD: Xonar Phoebus | MONITORS: ASUS PB278Q X3 IN NVIDIA Surround |

computer on with open case...very fluffy cat....i wont say any more... :blink:

(the cat survived)

I'd delete that post before Linus sees it and permanently bans you for cat abuse! ;)

Not waiting to buy my current pc when I put together my previous pc. FX-4100 gross compared to 3770k :P

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

While changing some things in my computer, I decided to 'temporarily' leave my 1TB hard drive unmounted (resting on the bottom of the case). I think the vibrations destroyed it and I lost all of the data.

I had a 500GB hard drive die - I think due to a dodgy power supply, but not sure. Smoke started coming out of it anyway and I lost everything on it.

I dropped my laptop which destroyed the hard drive - I lost about 500GB of data. Luckily it happened about a week before the warranty expired so got it replaced.

In a house move years ago, two of my hard drives decided to die on me.

I left a laptop resting against a log burning stove, which later was used. I only noticed when I smelt burning.

I don't have good luck with hard drives, but still haven't learnt to backup my data  :D

You have really bad luck. Don't come within 100 yards from me (and yes, this is an official restraining order) :P

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

100_0355_zps826e14b4.jpgthe cats all good Linus

i want a cat 3:

Almost dropped a screw into my power supply. Saved by a piece of plastic that the screw landed on(right under the fan). Also, I destroyed a keyboard with green tea. I took out the board when I was about to trash it. Didn't look good.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I did that, I built my current 'work inprogress' March last year and a month later bought the motherboard, 13 months later finally got it up and running due to lack of money

Luckly my friend is building a pc and im selling it to him 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"