Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I paid 300 dollars for a 1gb hdd a while ago

I don't believe in reincarnation, Re-spawning; Now that's my thing 

I mounted my motherboard with the wrong screws... I replaced some screws with the good screws but i ended 50 % psu screws and 50% motherboard screws.
I did the same thing but i barely managed to put the right ones because the two top one wouldn't screw in properly ugh...

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I tried to cool my overheating laptop by puting ice into a bag and placing that on top of my laptop. I haven't noticed that the bag a had a hole in it and the ice got melted. I immediately grabbed a tissue and removed the water from bellow my keyswitches. Laptop still works :P

I agreed after a long day in school to a pre-built computer in a HP case with a changed PSU and GPU. Now I have to sit besides it and I'm using up all my moneys to slowly change components so I have what I could get back then. :( :( :(

A bit embarassing one, I tried to watch a video on my smartphone while pissing and it slided into the toilet. The power button sometimes stops working, but otherwise it's fine. And I have a new phone, so I don't really care.

That's probably all, I may remember some more later.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

- buying a cheapo raidmax 530W PSU semi modular

- buying a reference evga gtx 560 ti

- not planning my color schemes when I first bought all the parts

Cant remember what series of Nvida card used to die after inserting a S-video but man was that lame, put svideo into my new card and bam lines all through screen so googled problem only to find out its a Nvidia fault. Never used s-video again.
It was the GT 240

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

Spilled my drink into the keyboard..
Oh cmon we've all done that..., but as soon as u do this best thing do do is bang it face down on the desk as quick as poosible, i have saved many keyboards with this method.

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

I have not made a noticeable mistake yet( I have only been in to computers ofr about 4-5 moths now). Its kind of scary to go that long with no mistakes...I know a big mistake must be coming....
Lucky for you, you have a massive forum telling you the mistakes we have done and now you know to avoid them. We learnt the hard way without forums :P

My worst mistake was during my first computer build. forgot to ground myself and touched the gold pins on the cpu. felt the pain of the static first, then after 20 seconds i realized what i had just done (this was a $230 Cpu at the time).
damn dude, that would have sucked

Didn't happen to me but i had a mate who didn't know to much about gaming rigs but like to spend the cash any ways, so we're talking one of those towers with all the temp gages and knobs and heaps of fancy crap, He also like to spend unecessary amounts of money on his PC just to beat me and a friend. Any ways, what he has running at the time was a AMD 6000+ with 4 gig ram and a 8800, comes to a LAN puts the tower on the side of a desk, another friend came over drunk as hell and pushed it off the side, needless to say it hit concrete and the things Beeped and squeeled all manner of noises from the gadgets, was not a happy chappy.

ah yes, back just a little while ago i built my first gaming rig, spent 600 buck on the top of the line, brand new gpu Ati 6970! it was the best GPU in the world! XD well at the time my only place to put my desktop in a CM 920 mid tower case, was in a wodden cabinate that was by my desk, i always kept the door open, due to the massive amount of heat it created. but on day i had forgotten. play SC2 for about 5 hours straight running on ultra setting ofcourse. Went to bed and woke up to a strange WWWWHHHIIIRRRRRRRR 'ing sound from the other room. needless to say the top of my desk was hot enough to cook an egg on. sigh, i'd only had the gpu for 2 weeks. Still works but the heat damaged causes slight artifcating that i have lived with. still waiting for the 8970's to be anouced, but since amd isnt looking to go there anytime soon i might be switching to nvidia's 700's when they come out.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

biggest mistake buying a HP
I agree I have had 3-4 hps and they are junk.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Was using a laptop HP dv9000 was a good laptop but one day I was in a bad mood and I think a driver stopped working while I was using it so it closed everything I was doing and I got mad and punched the screen that 17" screen was done went without a computer for a while laptop is still broken
I have that same laptop! Except my problem was the fan does not speed up when needed so It fried who knows what....

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Buying a Packard Bell :,-( The pc cost me around €700 (back around 2007) and braked up after a year (videocard+mobo failure). Cost me €300 more for repairs and upgrades. Terrible experience with that company.

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

I fell into my computer while it was running. Killed my HDDs, cracked and bent my side panel, and killed my DVD burner (I was watching a movie). Twas' a terrible time.

FX 4100 @ 4200, MSI GTX 660, CX430, 1TB Barracuda, 320gb Spinpoint, Hyper 212,  MSI 970, 500R, 8GB RAM

I bought an hp desktop before I started building my own and hated it.
Same... the only parts I have left is the hard drive, blue ray drive and my 1090t

Spilled my drink into the keyboard..
As of now mate that is the worst i have done, I don't want smashing or downloading worms and trojans in my system just for the purpose of doing the worst ..

Just last summer i spilled a bowl of popcorn on my PC. It might not seem that bad, but I LOVE salt! (It will probably be the end of me). As you can imagine this bowl of popcorn was crammed with salt, the bowl fell over, and salt fell inside my PC through venting holes, being sucked into fans and thrown everywhere into every little corner of my case.

Thankfully I managed to clean it all away, at least most of it. After that I din't think more of it. After about 2 weeks, there were some salt remains still inside my PC, it seems the salt had been eroding on my motherboard at the feet of the PCIe slot, causing it to simply die. Therefore i had to RMA the motherboard, and got a new one a couple of days later.

An opinion far away from your own can only be seen as madness.

i was going to try the windows 8 release beta thing(i had win 7), i didnt know you couldent get win 7 back....(i got a ISO file so i got it back but, so much time spendt)

Accidentally buying DDR3 ram to upgrade a shitty DDR2 Dell, luckily I was planning on building my own pc anyway so I just held it till I could build the actual pc

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

When I was around 15 years old, my friend and I put my only gaming capable rig in a frostless freezer as an overclocking experiment. Although nothing broke, it was such a stupid risk, because if anything had actually broke, I wouldn't have been able to afford to replace anything and would have had to go without a gaming rig for a long time.

i5 3570K • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP • 2x Asus GTX 670 SLI • Asus Sabertooth z77 • Asus PCE-AC66 • Crucial M4 256GB • Corsair AX 850 • Sound Blaster Xz • Fractal Define R4 • Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 • Dell U2713HM • Sennheiser RS 180 • Fanatec Porsche GT2 Wheel • Clubsport Pedals

My first BIOS update I put the file on a raid drive and used this motherboard easy update and started it. So you can guess when it deleted the bios it broke the raid drive set up the whole motherboard died.

I had a friend that built his first PC and it died within the first months of having it due prolong overheating. So when I pulled the CPU heat sink off, he had left the plastic sticker over the thermal paste that said "Please remove before installation".

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Plug molex 2 other molex that are coming out of the PSU causing my computer to shut down

I bought a big tower cooler for my CPU... it was too tall for my side panel to close. It was a mATX case though :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Building a 5V fan adapter, which was even more ghetto than Linus ghetto adapter: http://youtu.be/SyrvdDkS_SA

I startet with a similar 4-pin to 3-pin adapter, but I didn't have any tools to remove and change the pins of the 4-pin molex conector. And since I wanted 5V and not 7V, I simply cut off some of the plastic, so that the connector would fit the other way araound. It worked perfectly.

The problem was that I forgot it and connected a slimline DVD drive to this modified adpater. The DVD drive got 12V instead of 5V -> smoke.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…