Valve was given a 'F' in customer service by the BBB

kwb2js14srjgox9zzlmc.jpg

Valve should be happy that a letter grade under F doesn't exist, cause their customer service departments deserve far worse. Its a catastrophic joke that the "lords storefront" as some would say has some of the worst customer service that I've ever experienced. 

Its not an excuse that Valve is "just a storefront for many brands". So is Amazon, yet Amazon will basically give you a happy ending if it means maintaining your business - on ANYTHING they sell. Customer service is a big deal, especially for online retailers that deal with customers who just can't solve issues and return items in person. 

The BBB certainly isn't the last word in service rankings, but they aren't unknowns. They know a thing or two, they know bad service when they see it; that even the BBB hasn't gotten Valve to wake up and hire a dedicated customer service department? Kinda tragic. It is. 

Hey Valve, if Amazon can serve a majority of the developed world and have CSRs who will get back to me within 12 hours of initial contact (and minutes to hours after that), what is your excuse? Too busy making hats for your games or what? 

"On June 25, 2013, BBB recognized a pattern of complaints from consumers regarding product, service and customer service issues. Consumers allege the games they purchase from Valve Corporation or Steam malfunction, do not work or have an invalid CD key. Consumers also claim the company blocks users from accessing their library of games. Consumers further allege they attempt to contact the company for assistance, but Valve Corporation fails to correct the gaming issues, does not correct credit card charges or issue a refund, or does not respond at all."

"On July 1, 2013, BBB notified the company of the complaint pattern. To date, the company has not responded to BBB's request to address the pattern."

So that's a minefield. Still, I decided to ask Valve business development authority Erik Johnson what was going on behind the scenes. He replied that Valve doesn't really consider the Better Business Bureau a priority, but that users have the right of it: Valve needs to toss its busted customer service program in the incinerator and start over.

"The more important thing is that we don't feel like our customer service support is where it needs to be right now," he said. "We think customers are right. When they say our support's bad, our initial reaction isn't to say, 'No, it's actually good. Look at all of this.' It's to say that, no, they're probably right, because they usually are when it comes to this kind of thing. We hear those complaints, and that's gonna be a big focus for us throughout the year. We have a lot of work to do there. We have to do better."

http://steamed.kotaku.com/valve-is-not-psyched-they-got-an-f-in-customer-service-1691308332/+nathangrayson

http://www.bbb.org/alaskaoregonwesternwashington/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/valve-corporation-in-bellevue-wa-27030704

I feel like these customers are the ones who buy off G2A and equivalent...

I've never heard this from normal customers.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Yep, I can vouch for this, I have a ticket still open from 3 weeks ago.  It's not about a big issue, but one in which a simple response would have been nice. If they can't get it together to at least acknowledge I exist then I am not surprised that many more are furious about larger issues.

GG valve.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If they ever want to compete with the likes of any company they will need to turn this around fast. Think what will happen to them if they start launching Steam Link, Steam Controller, and VR headset with a F from the BBB. 

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Valve's customer service is quite ridiculous.  I have had it work for me the two times I needed it but the thing is it takes forever and they don't have a phone number you can call to deal with anyone.  With that said with this awful customer service we get cheaper prices because they are not paying people to man the phones to take calls.  I think I will take the poor customer support at this point to get good sale prices, items to sell to make money and so on. LOL

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

While I do agree that their customer service can be pretty terrible, I do wonder how many of these complaints are made by the less reputable customers that clearly violate the terms and conditions outlined by Valve?

I have had so many friends have to complain about multiple issues and rarely get a response.

You can't blame a key which would have been sold on a different site just because you don't trust the site.

I find the fact you think someone buys a key from a different site will have more problems lol

My friends account got hacked and he had to wait 3 weeks for a final resolution.

Steam Support is pathetic.

While I do agree that their customer service can be pretty terrible, I do wonder how many of these complaints are made by the less reputable customers that clearly violate the terms and conditions outlined by Valve?

Not true. I have plenty of legit friends who constantly have problems with Steam Support.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Yep, they're smoldering trash in that department.

However, so is the BBB, which is just a lazy excuse to make America look like it cares about consumers, when in reality, they're the only "consumer protection" agency in the entire western world completely devoid of any power or influence.

Want to make anyone care? Get a real consumer protection system. One that is able to hand out fines, and shut down companies. Then we'll talk.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

yep, had my account hijacked (this was back when I didn't use 2-step) a year or so ago and it took two months to get it back ,even though I could prove completely that the account was mine.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

-snip-

Its not an excuse that Valve is "just a storefront for many brands". So is Amazon, yet Amazon will basically give you a happy ending if it means maintaining your business - on ANYTHING they sell. Customer service is a big deal, especially for online retailers that deal with customers who just can't solve issues and return items in person. 

-snip-

Amazon will give customers happy endings, but at the cost of the companies that supply their storefront.  It is a hassle to do business with Amazon on the manufacturer side.  

As for valve I'm in the lucky position that I haven't had to deal with their customer service yet, but I have yet to run into a primarily digital goods company that has good customer service.  Looking at you EA.

I kinda expected this. I filed a complaint 3 years ago, and they never responded.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

With that said with this awful customer service we get cheaper prices because they are not paying people to man the phones to take calls. I think I will take the poor customer support at this point to get good sale prices, items to sell to make money and so on. LOL

Don't make me laugh..

Valve have Olympic pool filled with gold!

By example, in 2010 they had a revenue around 70 millions USD with over 50 millions profit... And that was achieved with only 250 employees! Don't think that a small team of people dedicated to customer service would empty their pocket to the point they need to price the games up !

Looks like there is a Half 3 hopeful at the BBB.

And in reference to the Amazon happy ending mention by the OP.....Can I just pay them to give me a happy ending?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Their customer service is horrible though it is also the one I've had to contact the least. 

I am under the understanding that there is no one employed at Valve to deal with customer complaints. There is probably a rotter so everyone just takes turns. It is understandable to some extent as it's a big task and really no one wants to do it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Gabe Newell's "everyone works at support too" thing is really working out isn't it?

So much for being the best, if you don't have a decent support then you still bad no matter how good you are.

In other news fire is hot and ice is cold.

Valves support is a joke, I've heard of months before a copy pasta response which isn't even relevant to the inquiry anyway.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Don't make me laugh..

Valve have Olympic pool filled with gold!

By example, in 2010 they had a revenue around 70 millions USD with over 50 millions profit... And that was achieved with only 250 employees! Don't think that a small team of people dedicated to customer service would empty their pocket to the point they need to price the games up !

When a company adds employees they will make the consumer pay for it.  They will want their profits to be where they were before adding the employees.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

No wonder Steam customer service is non existing.

I just email Gaben he always helps me. 

Consumers allege the games they purchase from Valve Corporation or Steam malfunction, do not work or have an invalid CD key.

Wut, who wrote that, what's "Steam malfunction", is that a new service that makes sure your games malfunction or something? lol.

I could understand bad grammar from your average Internet user, but not on a site that wants to be "serious" about its stuff.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I bought from g2a like 30 keys, and it was all fine .