Super Conductivity achieved at 130° C/400 Kelvin

Looks like superconductivity at room temperature has been achieved by the scientists running the website Superconductivity.org . The researchers claim to have made what is considered by some the ultimate achievement in the physics of electricity by creating two alloys, Sn9SbTe3Ba2MnCu14O28+ and Sn8SbTe4Ba2MnCu14O28+ , which showed superconducting properties at temperatures of up to 400 Kelvin or 130 degrees Celsius! This is going to have a big impact on every device or machine, which runs on electricity. All we need now is to implement it into everyday electronics and machines and we will be able to do amazing stuff with them.

Link to the original article http://www.superconductors.org/400K_SC.htm

As recently as 2010 it wasn't known if room temperature superconductivity was even possible. Today Superconductors.ORG announces the discovery of two new superconductors with transition temperatures (Tc) more than 100 degrees above room-temperature. Sn9SbTe3Ba2MnCu14O28+ and Sn8SbTe4Ba2MnCu14O28+ are the 23rd and 24th compounds found to superconduct above room temperature, with the latter being the first to go above 400 Kelvin.

Confirmation of superconductivity in these two materials was made through numerous resistance and magnetization tests. The average Tc of eight resistance tests of Sn8SbTe4 was 128.8 Celsius. Eight magnetization tests of the same material then produced an average Tc of 129.4 Celsius. The two plots at page top show both heating and cooling magnetization tests with a diamagnetic (Meissner) transition where the straight lines skew apart. Those lines approximate the average of the data points. The plot jitter results from a high thermal noise level and low volume fraction of the superconductive phase.

P.S. Now I know some of you are going to be skeptical about the truthfulness of these claims, and to some  degree rightfully so, the website does not look professionally made in any way, but don't forget that these guys probably can't afford to have a nice website built (unless they use Squarespace, lol) and are throwing all their time and financial resources at doing the research and achieving these amazing results. Also, look at the link with the whole web page full of information on how the experiment was conducted, the graphs of the results and how to reproduce everything. It does not look like some random guy claims to have done this in his back yard and put it on the Internet.

wow thats amazing

soon we will have super efficient computers that dont need cooling! :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

P.S. Now I know some of you are going to be skeptical about the truthfulness of these claims, and to some  degree rightfully so, the website does not look professionally made in any way, but don't forget that these guys probably can't afford to have a nice website built 

I don't think they've time to mess about with CSS/HTML.

Science must be done. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

But how expensive will it be to create them for manufacturing.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

This will be amazing if its true and can be mass produced.

Every topic I post in dies.

You what? How is that possible.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

What?? At 130 degrees?

No way, but if "way" (:P) then my god we have a revolution on our hands!

Keep us posted if this is proved or disproved!!

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

if this is reproducable when reviewed This could be genuinly huge!

Must read more....

Did they publish it yet ? Or is it just a poat on there website?

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

But how expensive will it be to create them for manufacturing.

Today? Super expensive.

10 years time, 20? Super conductive home electronics

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Today? Super expensive.

10 years time, 20? Super conductive home electronics

Imagine all the Folding I could do with it...

Ohhhh, time to buy those PCIe hubs (yes, one PCIe 16x to 4 4x) and R295x2s.....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I have a bad feeling it's all bull.

I believe it when I see it.  

A question regarding the superconductivity of these materials: Does it have to be in a specified range so like 400K +-1K for example? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I have some bad news guys. This material makes graphene production look like a cakewalk. This is both carbon and oxygen-volatile. You have to keep it in a vacuum to preserve that superconductivity.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

A question regarding the superconductivity of these materials: Does it have to be in a specified range so like 400K +-1K for example?

Superconductivity is always below a certain temperature. Once the material exceeds that temperature, it gains resistance. So the materials will be superconductive at any temperature at or below 400K.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

I have some bad news guys. This material makes graphene production look like a cakewalk. This is both carbon and oxygen-volatile. You have to keep it in a vacuum to preserve that superconductivity.

Well, darn. :(

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

R.I.P Custom Watercooling

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

Sn9SbTe3Ba2MnCu14O28+

That's a really nice alloy.

How do you pronounce it?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I have a bad feeling it's all bull.

I believe it when I see it.  

I'll believe it when a respected university (Nottingham or similar) confirm it and publish the results.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sn9SbTe3Ba2MnCu14O28+

That's a really nice alloy.

How do you pronounce it?

TinLeadTelluriumBariumManganeseCopperOxideium(not really) or TLTBMCO rearrange and you get BOLT CTO a really fast chief technology officer. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

if this is reproducable when reviewed This could be genuinly huge!

Must read more....

Did they publish it yet ? Or is it just a poat on there website?

I read about a news in a website in my country, so I tried to look up the original article in English and the only place where this is published is in their website, but I suppose they only announced it yesterday so there is little chance that people saw it.

I'll believe it when a respected university (Nottingham or similar) confirm it and publish the results.

There will be some time before anyone can recreate this, since the sheer forming of the alloy is probably extremely difficult judging by the instructions in the website of how the material was made. Either way, do not forget that there are some amazing scientists like Nicola Tesla who were declared liars and madmen by their contemporaries out of jealousy, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with a fake reproduction of the experiment just to prove them wrong without actually trying to make it work.

Unfortunately, right now they aren't able to do it in a natural environment (i.e. with moisture and different gases), just at a natural ambient temperature, as we can see in the instructions for the reproduction:

RESEARCH NOTE: The copper-oxides are strongly hygroscopic. All tests should be performed immediately after annealing

Still, this is MAJOR progress in the superconductor sphere and I am sure that a few years down the road we will have managed to come up with a solution to that problem as well.

Hmmm.... So I now have a new material to make batteries explode faster.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hmmm.... So I now have a new material to make batteries explode faster.

I don't believe a superconductive battery can explode as there is no heat building up, due to no resistance... This could mean very small batteries that have huge supplies of stored energy (not chemical, just the electrons).

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

I don't believe a superconductive battery can explode as there is no heat building up, due to no resistance... This could mean very small batteries that have huge supplies of stored energy (not chemical, just the electrons).

2x 1.5V AA batteries-putting 2 pieces of metal across the terminals (positive to negative) and sticky taping it causes the batteries to quickly heat up. With in a few seconds the tape starts melting, and if left long enough they explode. I've done a few tests and the lower the resistance the shorter the time until the batteries explode.

Edit:To everyone-do not try this at all unless you know everything that can go wrong, have the safety gear and insurance that overs idiocy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2x 1.5V AA batteries-putting 2 pieces of metal across the terminals (positive to negative) and sticky taping it causes the batteries to quickly heat up. With in a few seconds the tape starts melting, and if left long enough they explode. I've done a few tests and the lower the resistance the shorter the time until the batteries explode.

My mum had a wooden draw full of about a hundred AAA batteries rolling around horizontally. I freaked OUT when I saw this and thought it was funny when she said she had no idea she could have caused a huge fire. 

But yeah this superconductor business - this is one step closer to consumer-grade superconductivity :) when that happens, alongside fusion power plants, say hello to a completely new technological era unlike anything seen before.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y