Super Conductivity achieved at 130° C/400 Kelvin

aaaaaactually 130 C is 403.15 K. just sayin

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

"Room temperature"

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Was that necessary?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

There will be some time before anyone can recreate this, since the sheer forming of the alloy is probably extremely difficult judging by the instructions in the website of how the material was made. Either way, do not forget that there are some amazing scientists like Nicola Tesla who were declared liars and madmen by their contemporaries out of jealousy, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with a fake reproduction of the experiment just to prove them wrong without actually trying to make it work.

If a backyard scientist says he can do it then I highly doubt it is going to be harder for a well resourced university to do it too.   Whilst what you are saying about discrediting is true and did happen in the past, in this day and age of data retention and communication coupled with the fact that we have significantly more higher educated people means that such "faked" research is typically kept out of respected universities and peer journals,  and essentially restricted to blogs, forums and lobby group homepages.  Nowadays credibility is at stake for any scientist who dares promote that which he knows is flawed or not true.  Just look at Andrew Wakefield.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

website looks crazyguyinabasementesq

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

wow thats amazing

soon we will have super efficient computers that dont need cooling! :D

Actually that was achieved in the 1980s and even for the most part of the 1990s, tdp has to come to a point where the cpu can say "bring it on!" 

I think we're a bit a ways from desktop PCs running with no colling "No fans, heatsinks, waterblocks, etc"   You can however run a PC passively which at this time is the closest thing to no cooling PCs.  The Macbook achieved it recently and yes a desktop can do it to, hell even the old PowerMacs were passive but had quite a bit of fans...

Maybe in 5-10 years we can do it more effectively.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Actually that was achieved in the 1980s and even for the most part of the 1990s, tdp has to come to a point where the cpu can say "bring it on!" 

I think we're a bit a ways from desktop PCs running with no colling "No fans, heatsinks, waterblocks, etc"   You can however run a PC passively which at this time is the closest thing to no cooling PCs.  The Macbook achieved it recently and yes a desktop can do it to, hell even the old PowerMacs were passive but had quite a bit of fans...

Maybe in 5-10 years we can do it more effectively.

by soon i mean within the next 50 years...

and computers that use superconductors would mean almost 0 energy lost to heat, so no need for cooling

this wasnt possible for a long time because superconductors needed to be at extremely low temperatures, but now we can make some progress :D

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

From my understanding, for a superconductor to be useful in everyday use, it needs to work at temperatures from about -10oC to +100oC.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Was that necessary?

yes :)

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Even if you have a material that superconducts at "room temperature", I don't think that implies you'll be able to make computer chips out of it. Might see some use for power transmission, or in your computer's PSU, but I don't think it's going to reduce the amount of heat your CPU puts out, unless you can make transistors out of this material.

yep!!  making billions of transistors out of superconducting material will achieve that.

TinAntimonyTelluriumBariumManganeseCopperOxideium(not really) or TATBMCO rearrange and you get BOLT CTO a really fast chief technology officer. 

Corrected..

It says "low volume fraction of the superconductive phase", which means there are regions within the material which are superconducting but as they are not connected throughout the chunk of material (which you can read from their graphs, otherwise they wouldn't measure any resistance below the critical temperature Tc), you can't use it for macroscopic superconductivity. You'd have to find a way to make the regions connect to have the material as a whole be a macroscopic superconductor. 

So, while the website seems legitimate: Sorry, no superconducting wires/chips for you today. 

I can't complain about this, at least we're getting somewhere.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Corrected..

Some reason I thought lead was Sb, buts it's Pb.... anyway... :D 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

DAMN IT!!!  I really wanted a hover conversion made to my car next year......oh! well!!!!!

Someone mind explaining this for me?

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

I know this isn't anyway important and it has been said before but 400 kelvin. Why.

It's so easy to convert Celsius to Kelvins. You just add 273,15.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I know this isn't anyway important and it has been said before but 400 kelvin. Why.

It's so easy to convert Celsius to Kelvins. You just add 273,15.

Are you sure you read the title of the topic properly? If you think you have and are still wondering why there isn't a Celsius measurement, let me explain it to you: 130° C stands for 130 degrees Celsius, which roughly equals 400 degrees Kelvin. Both of these are in the title

And 130C isn't room temperature, as the post appears to say.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Someone mind explaining this for me?

Regular conduction of electricity comes with losses, largely due to internal resistance of materials used (copper, etc). You can minimize some of those losses by adding insulation, but it's still fairly significant. The reason high voltage transmission lines transfer power at such a high voltage is to reduce resistance losses, which is proportional to current. (Electrical power = Voltage * Current, Power is constant, increase voltage, decrease current).

Superconductivity eliminates that resistance loss, but typically requires extremely low temperatures for it to occur, too low for it to be practical in consumer electronics. The proposed material is promising, but if the process of actually creating it is cumbersome, then it's not economically viable for consumer electronics. 

The ideal material would need to achieve superconductivity within ranges of around 20-100C (typical operating conditions for electronics, depending on application) and be easy to produce in mass quantities (and cheaply). Until both happens, we won't see the benefits of the science. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Even if this works, I can't be the only one thinking that it doesn't matter for any general use purposes as it uses Te, which is incredibly rare. As rare as Platinum, which is more rare than gold.

And 130C isn't room temperature, as the post appears to say.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think their jargon means that the materials are superconductive at or below 130C?  That's the critical point/transition temperature, which seems to mean that they resist current above that.