The Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge - MWC Reveal + Phone Arena Preview + Add. Leaks; April 10th launch

jqiur3b.jpg

Personal Opinions

Here it apparently is, in all its metal framed glory. Not much else to say, really. The leaks were bang on before, but this phone seems to lack a noticeable curve (maybe its just a dummy unit that isn't as well detailed?)

It has a camera hump, which I think is entirely stupid. It was stupid when Apple did it, its stupid that HTC did it, its stupid that Samsung did it. Stop with the bumps! Push out the battery and fill in that extra few mm or something. 

They've announced Samsung Pay and the whole presentation, IMHO, is very good but we all know who they took their inspiration from (in more than just the presentation). I'm not sold, and their insistence on copying Apple down to the damn presentation and brand naming is...a tad insecure. 

It comes in some new interesting colours like Green, Blue and Gold (see the MWC content section for photos on that). The glass has a 800 degree bend on both sides, with glass on both sides. Oh shots fired against Apple for this one (but didn't their phones bend in that test too?)

They claim that it won't lag or stutter anymore, which would be pretty nice if they actually follow through on this. 

The phone can charge to 4-hours of use in 10 minutes, and it charges twice as fast as the iPhone 6. BUT, this is detrimental toward batteries. Pushing that much juice through anything...dicey. Very dicey. I even hesitate to use the fast charging on my 6+

Samsung thinks its okay to not have a replaceable battery because their built in one charges so fast. THATS NEVER BEEN THE ISSUE. You idiots, are you going to have service centres all over the place now too for same day battery replacement? Cause thats how Apple can get away with it. I can go to a store, wait 10 minutes, have a new battery in. You? No, I need to go to carrier or send it to your service centre which I know doesn't exist in my city. FFS. What a fail.

Samsung Pay will show up in the US and Korea in the Summer, once again making the same mistake that Apple did: focussing on the wrong areas to spread the name. But c'est la vie. They've got AMEX, BoA and Chase as partners so far. NFC and MST tech.

Most likely done editing as all content has been revealed barring any further huge announcements by Samsung this week, which seem doubtful. But you never know. 

Gizmodo on the S6 and S6 Edge

The Galaxy S6 Edge is basically just a Galaxy S6 with a special curved screen that cascades—like a waterfall, or a Salvador Dali painting—down both sides of the phone, giving you access to all sorts of little helpful widgets without taking up your entire screen. It's the same idea as the Galaxy Note Edge, only with two edges instead of one.

And those two edges make for a really cool new look. I'll admit that I like the normal S6 slightly more, but a quick poll of my Gizmodo colleagues placed me squarely in the minority. 

But there's a difference between selling the future and just obfuscating it with cool-looking gimmicks. Is this a gimmick like the original Edge? I'm going to go out on a limb and say future phones might actually work like this.

The Galaxy S6 has a Quad HD (2560 x 1440) Super AMOLED display, but on a 5.1-inch smartphone. That means you're looking at 577 pixels per inch. That's the smallest phone to come with a screen at such an eye-watering resolution. It's insanely crisp.

When the Samsung rep told me the screen resolution, I actually laughed out loud. It was completely involuntary, and Samsung was none too pleased. I just couldn't help but think the display was totally overkill, and would lead to needless battery drain. But if I'd just waited a few more seconds for Samsung to explain why such a display exists, I probably would've choked down my LOL.

Two words: virtual reality.

galaxy-s6-galaxy-s6-edge-specs.jpg?w=624

UPDATE

GSM Arena got their hands on some shots with the S6 as well as the official camera samples, pretty impressive stuff isn't it? Of course, its PR material so I'm not going to base all judgements on this alone, we'll need some independent shooting to figure out where this lands but with a f/1.9 setup its certainly a step in the right direction. 

Screenshot-2015-03-01-at-11.47.23-AM.png

Screenshot-2015-03-01-at-11.48.17-AM.png

Screenshot-2015-03-01-at-11.48.37-AM.png

Screenshot-2015-03-01-at-11.48.49-AM.png

Screenshot-2015-03-01-at-11.48.59-AM.png

Screenshot-2015-03-01-at-11.49.10-AM.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKF1uv5O6iE

LIVE UPDATES FROM BARCELONA

DSC_2675.jpg

32GB, 64GB and 128GB versions available on April 10th in 20 countries, no prices were given.

DSC_2492.jpg

"These are the most advanced smartphones in the world. With capabilities no other phone can match."

DSC_2509.jpg

Samsung Pay (hah, where have we heard that branding before?) announced too. Samsung has partnered up with MasterCard and VISA.

DSC_2573.jpg

You can assign contacts to colours with the S6 Edge. This is truly the future, ladies and gentlemen. This is also how Fast And Furious crosses over into the mobile industry. Rice rice baby. 

DSC_2587.jpg

Those are some nice performance gains, maybe @patrickjp93 can comment on the 14nm business and if its actually 14nm. 

DSC_2593.jpg

77% more pixels than the S5, 577ppi, new Gear Innovator as shown below. 

DSC_2598.jpg

DSC_2603.jpg

DSC_2621.jpg

f/1.9 lens front and back for the camera

DSC_2652.jpg

NFC which is already in place AND MST which is the magnetic stripe tech they bought with LoopPay, these are their partners so far, far less than Apples when they launched it

DSC_2612.jpg

DSC_2606.jpg

DSC_2561.jpg

DSC_2544.jpg

DSC_2535.jpg

DSC_2528.jpg

DSC_2513.jpg

DSC_2499.jpg

DSC_2512.jpg

jqiur3b.jpg

wI4TrSo.jpg

97ZUl6B.jpg

2IlnsaU.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/VkU9R#5ugX1eW

http://www.filedropper.com/samsunggalaxys6edgehands-onphonearenareviews1

gs6rezied.jpg

yobekpfldhsinpkoenxm.gif

galaxys6edgeleak.png

galaxy-s6-s6-edge-leak-xda-2.jpg

nexus2cee_rps20150225_130758.jpg

nexus2cee_rps20150225_130456.jpg

nexus2cee_rps20150225_131623.jpg

nexus2cee_rps20150225_131607.jpg

nexus2cee_Samsung_Galaxy_S6_ATT_Leak-716

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/25/galaxy-s6-appears-leaked-glory/

http://www.gsmarena.com/video_recaps_galaxy_s6_and_s6_edge_leaks_shows_new_renders-news-11358.php

http://gizmodo.com/samsungs-galaxy-s6-edge-is-awesomely-weird-but-weirdly-1688311345

http://gizmodo.com/galaxy-s6-hands-on-samsungs-got-a-whole-new-look-1688066043

http://live.theverge.com/samsung-galaxy-s6-live-blog-mwc-2015/

http://www.gsmarena.com/check_out_the_samsung_galaxy_s6_camera_samples-news-11378.php

bears resemblance to Iphone 6? yeah so does literally any smartphone ever. THEY ALL LOOK ABOUT THE SAME.

kinda disapointed if true, that top bezel is crazy

edit? are you kidding? looks identical to my galaxy s4 on the front, besides having a bigger top bezel. how is that moving foward

Get rid if the physical buttons already samsung. They look stupid, they get in the way and they make the bezels unnecessarily bigger than needed. Once they move to onscreen buttons I might get a samsung again, but until then they need a really good offer to convince me.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

The S4 I got with my plan 2 years ago is up for renewal. I could care less if it looks like an Iphone.

Definitely getting this.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

This is 100% fake. It's a chinese knock-off of what the S6 could look like. The Note 4 is a nice piece of hardware, Samsung will have something similar in mind for the S6, at least in terms of build quality and design characteristics (small bezels, home button style, etc) whereas this looks like garbage.

Wow. That's nowhere near as interesting as the hype made it out to be. Looks like the M9 will still be the better phone. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

The camera hump is really small actually, and is not very noticeable.  I never had a problem with my S3.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Ehh.  I personally don't really care about this phone.  It looks pretty good but if it doesn't have a removable battery it's a step backwards IMO. I personally know people who have stayed with Samsung because of the removable battery (me included). But I'm still very excited to see the S6 when it's announced. 

If this is real it sucks because that USB connector looks like micro USB not type-C which we need on phones. Hopefully phones for the second half of the year have type-C. Hopefully the note 5.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

idk what people are talking about. it doesnt look like an iphone it looks like an galaxy s phone

It's not that I dislike android, (Iphone 6 Plus owner here) I just hate Samsung.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Display(s): Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX BrownMouse: Razer Deathadder Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker....aze101xx/saved/

I really never liked the look of Galaxy S phones, and i still don't...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Samsungs teaser phone photo is not even close. I call bullshit. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Looks nothing like the official teaser photos from Samsung.

bears resemblance to Iphone 6? yeah so does literally any smartphone ever. THEY ALL LOOK ABOUT THE SAME.

kinda disapointed if true, that top bezel is crazy

edit? are you kidding? looks identical to my galaxy s4 on the front, besides having a bigger top bezel. how is that moving foward

The front? You mean the part of the phone where 90% of the space is taken by a screen? Look at the rest of the phone 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Wtf Samsung. Half iPhone half s4. What a shit phone

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Samsung-King of copying the iPhone look. Why the hell would people want to buy something that looks like an iPhone, when they can just buy the iPhone? Its not like the S6 won't be significantly lower in price.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Is nobody talking about the S6 Edge leaks as well?  Or are these not real?

edge_wallet_1.jpg

s6_edge_thinfit_title_white.jpg

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Wow what a surprise... I fully expected this thread to be filled with comments such as:

"Samsung copying Apple! It looks like an iPhone!"

"I hate Samsung!"

"HTC is better!"

and wouldn't you know it, I was spot on. The Samsung-hate bandwagon is really predictable these days.

The back doesn't seem removable which worries me. I wonder if we will see an edge version as well like with the Note 4, because the official teaser doesn't look like that.

They look very fishy, I call BS on them.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide