The Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge - MWC Reveal + Phone Arena Preview + Add. Leaks; April 10th launch

USB 2? No expandable memory? Bottom headphone jack? Less battery because of "oh look, I'm super thin"? No water resistance? and is that a bump for the camera?? And "eww" that glossy back looks like a absolute fingerprint and sweat magnet. About the USB 2 port, are people that stupid to not know that USB 2 micro B cables work with USB 3 micro B ports... because it doesn't looks the same means it doesn't work...?  I'm done, time to see what HTC and LG has to offer.

The removable back saved me so much money on repairs and time for my S3 because the headphone jack died. I was so glad it was a modular piece that I could do diagnostic on it and that I could still use my phone until the part came in.

I hope its just tokenized NFC a la Apple Pay and Google Wallet (I assume Wallet works the same way as well).

Yes that is correct.

The account number is not stored on the device and it has a secure token.

At least that's how the NFC portion works (probably uses the same back-end as Apply Pay since it's Visa and Master Card implementing it in their systems). Not sure how the magnet strip thing works.

I'm not talking about Magnetic Secure Transmission as it is either gone or is going away (in the US). and samsung pay is using NFC which will be used in most areas accept for US

You're still wrong though.

1) It's not some proprietary RFID system.

2) This won't remove compatibility with anything already on the market (it will actually have more compatibility than all other mobile payment systems).

3) Manufacturers of phones don't have to agree. Phone manufacturers just have to work with companies like Visa and Mastercard. Terminals which accepts Apple Pay will most likely accept Samsung pay as well since the implementation is made by Visa and Mastercard, not Samsung and Apple.

USB 2? No expandable memory? Bottom headphone jack? Less battery because of "oh look, I'm super thin"? No water resistance? and is that a bump for the camera?? And "eww" that glossy back looks like a absolute fingerprint and sweat magnet. About the USB 2 port, are people that stupid to not know that USB 2 micro B cables work with USB 3 micro B ports... because it doesn't looks the same means it doesn't work...?  I'm done, time to see what HTC and LG has to offer.

The removable back saved me so much money on repairs and time for my S3 because the headphone jack died. I was so glad it was a modular piece that I could do diagnostic on it and that I could still use my phone until the part came in.

Yep, Samsung fucked a lot of things up. If you are look in HTC's direction for a better phone then be prepared to be disappointed. They share a lot of the same flaws.

I don't think LG will announce anything for a few months.

Yes that is correct.

At least that's how the NFC portion works (probably uses the same back-end as Apply Pay since it's Visa and Master Card implementing it in their systems). Not sure how the magnet strip thing works.

Well thats good to hear. If the backend is the same and more importantly implementing the same security across all payment brands, it'll be a great way to tell retailers to support it more and more. 

ok, absolutely no reason to upgrade from S4 

That I don't get. Why leave USB 3 behind? Why not use this as a chance to adopt Type C? They did too many backwards steps on this. 

The camera bump business pisses me off. A phone under 8mm is pretty damn thin. Not having a bump AND having a larger battery with a uniform design? Ugh. I guess thats too much to ask. From everyone. And this isn't the first time. Samsung has enjoyed this camera hump nonsense for a long, long time. It makes no sense at all. 

ok, absolutely no reason to upgrade from S4 

Much better screen.

Much faster CPU and GPU.

More RAM.

Much faster NAND.

Updates for longer.

Wireless charging built in.

"Higher build quality" (actually a more "premium feeling") which everyone seems to love.

Much better cameras.

Much faster charging.

Longer battery life.

More onboard storage.

I am very disappointed by the lack of removable battery and microSD though. What the fuck are you thinking Samsung?

Yes that is correct.

You're still wrong though.

1) It's not some proprietary RFID system.

2) This won't remove compatibility with anything already on the market (it will actually have more compatibility than all other mobile payment systems).

3) Manufacturers of phones don't have to agree. Phone manufacturers just have to work with companies like Visa and Mastercard. Terminals which accepts Apple Pay will most likely accept Samsung pay as well since the implementation is made by Visa and Mastercard, not Samsung and Apple.

Yep, Samsung fucked a lot of things up. If you are look in HTC's direction for a better phone then be prepared to be disappointed. They share a lot of the same flaws.

It is still RFID

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

I still love my S4, but if I the 128GB storage model comes to Sweden I might be interesting in getting one. Because of the issues I've had with external storage* I'd rather have a large onboard storage instead

*However, one of them is because of a problem on the apps end, not Android/samsung

I am very disappointed by the lack of removable battery and microSD though. What the fuck are you thinking Samsung?

Profits and more profits. Why let consumers do for free what they can ream you on upgrade and repair costs for? But Samsung doesn't even have the retail presence for this right now, so unless they want to roll out 5,000 stores globally and/or develop teleportation devices to handle repair claims since their batteries are now sealed...ugh. 

Not entirely consumer friendly, thats for sure. Fast recharging batteries don't give them a pass on what they've done. 

The only thing that would make me even consider this phone is the Exynos Chip, Screen and Cameras. Seriously tough that Non removable battery is a crush down for me :/. Hope they wont make every other upcoming phones non removable in terms of battery. Kay the storage, its also pretty negative since no MicroSd card :/. Meh Note series always fix everything Xp.

Groomlake Authority

Much better screen.

Much faster CPU and GPU.

More RAM.

Much faster NAND.

Updates for longer.

Wireless charging built in.

"Higher build quality" (actually a more "premium feeling") which everyone seems to love.

Much better cameras.

Much faster charging.

Longer battery life.

More onboard storage.

I am not all that bothered by the inability to remove the battery, as I have never needed to dow that with any of me previous phones.

But the lack of a MicroSD card slot is a disappointment. It would be nice to be able to expand the storage should you want to.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

well this is very interesting, microsoft apps have been spotted to be loaded by default on the s6, they have found a folder with onedrive, onenote and skype, and it seems onedrive might come with 115gb free extra storage, though its not know if its permanet or last a year or 2, its also rumored that office mobile might be in there to but its not on the demo devices at mwc http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/8129439/samsung-galaxy-s6-microsoft-apps

microsoft sure as hell wants a sizable chunk of mobile market doesn't seem to matter that it is its own platform or not now

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This news may be of note:

Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge: Preloaded with OneNote, OneDrive, and Skype.

post-81427-0-59243200-1425237282_thumb.j
"OneDrive and OneNote are preloaded, with 115GB (odd number, sure) of free storage for two years,"

Well, that's it...
Source

post-81427-0-59243200-1425237282_thumb.j

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Nice post mate, Keep it up.. :)

Details separate people.

It is still RFID

Of course it's RFID. The NFC portion is NFC though, and the magstripe compatible portion is not really something propitiatory that will require special support like you made it sound.

You were saying that Samsung were making something new that would not work with any existing implementation and that they should have gone with/improved NFC instead.

Profits and more profits. Why let consumers do for free what they can ream you on upgrade and repair costs for? But Samsung doesn't even have the retail presence for this right now, so unless they want to roll out 5,000 stores globally and/or develop teleportation devices to handle repair claims since their batteries are now sealed...ugh. 

Not entirely consumer friendly, thats for sure. Fast recharging batteries don't give them a pass on what they've done. 

Sorry but I really don't like your posts about this. All I am hearing is you trying to justify why you aren't upset about Apple doing the exact same bullshit. It doesn't matter if they have five or 5 billion retail locations. They should fuck off with the idea that you don't need removable storage and replaceable batteries. Same goes for Apple.

I might get either the S5 or something like the oneplusone if they don't fuck it up from software updates, contract is ending soon.

That I don't get. Why leave USB 3 behind? Why not use this as a chance to adopt Type C? They did too many backwards steps on this. 

The camera bump business pisses me off. A phone under 8mm is pretty damn thin. Not having a bump AND having a larger battery with a uniform design? Ugh. I guess thats too much to ask. From everyone. And this isn't the first time. Samsung has enjoyed this camera hump nonsense for a long, long time. It makes no sense at all. 

People are just that stupid, when the S5 came out with USB 3, people thought they couldn't use their old cables to charge. I didn't really think about it until a friend got the S5 and thought that until I told them the USB 2 cables works fine. I was thinking "Are you fucking kidding me?!? It's universal, it's in the freaking name U-S-B" then told that to their face =P It was probably the main reason why the note 4 has USB 2. When type C comes out, I really hope people won't just shove it up a micro B port then go complain "it doesn't work" because it looks similar...

This news may be of note:

Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge: Preloaded with OneNote, OneDrive, and Skype.

attachicon.gifgalaxy-s6-both-versions-6.jpg

"OneDrive and OneNote are preloaded, with 115GB (odd number, sure) of free storage for two years,"

Well, that's it...

Source

Thats a very...odd partnership. Would assume they would instead partner up with Google and their apps on something like this. 

Nice that they are partnering with MS. I still have 10TB on my onedrive so storage isn't a problem for me

Nice that they are partnering with MS. I still have 10TB on my onedrive so storage isn't a problem for me

Very true, I think Office access is far more valuable than what Google could offer especially for corporate customers, a great way to push Office usage across the board. 

Gotta imagine MS wrote a hefty cheque to get that one solidified. 

Very true, I think Office access is far more valuable than what Google could offer especially for corporate customers, a great way to push Office usage across the board. 

Gotta imagine MS wrote a hefty cheque to get that one solidified. 

actually just recently they settle on billion dollar suit v samsung about android royalties, i'm pretty sure this was part of the settlement agreement 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

actually just recently they settle on billion dollar suit v samsung about android royalties, i'm pretty sure this was part of the settlement agreement 

Ahh, that would make sense. Yea, I was just thrown that Samsung opted for MS apps for productivity over Google ones that are probably more integrated into Android. 

I see a lot of people complain about no removable SD card because of expandable storage, to me with most phones now having a minimum of 16G storage this is less an issue, however the big issue (for me at least) is if you have an SD slot and you drop the phone, get hit by a car or in some other way brick it, you can take out the sd card and still have all your pictures, notes, misc.  Without an SD card when the phone dies so does all the data.  I know you can have cloud backups, but how many of us really like that as a solution?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why the glass back?  I already feel bad for the people who are going to shatter their new phones as soon as they buy them.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

I see a lot of people complain about no removable SD card because of expandable storage, to me with most phones now having a minimum of 16G storage this is less an issue, however the big issue (for me at least) is if you have an SD slot and you drop the phone, get hit by a car or in some other way brick it, you can take out the sd card and still have all your pictures, notes, misc.  Without an SD card when the phone dies so does all the data.  I know you can have cloud backups, but how many of us really like that as a solution?

I think its a poor compromise to make for any manufacturer who relies solely on computer based or cloud based backups. At least with a SD card, I can transfer stuff over faster and don't NEED the phone operating to recover my data or even add more data. 

Someone can correct me, but wasn't it also said that Google wants to start phasing out mSD slots, or was that wrong?