NVIDIA have been hit with a class action suit over the GTX 970.

I'm not making a point, @deathjester has done well to explain/elaborate his arguments. I'm just adding some to his already stated arguments.

You posted a handful of links from the same source.  If what @deathjester is saying has truth, surely you can find a number of websites that have done their own research into the validity of the claims being made.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Neither do you, you started speculating this BS about Gameworks after you saw the 760 outperforming the 290. I've shown you, and even recently Anandtech did, that AMD's DX11 is up to 4 times slower and we saw the same performance degradations in Mantle games which I also proved out.

AMD's drivers are causing the CPU to bottleneck which is going to tank the GPU usage down, a 290 running at 30% usage is gonna get shrekt all over the place by a 760 at 99% usage. You kept using some dumb excuses like it's the reference that's throttling, hell yeah at 30% usage it's throttling.

Ow wait, AMD is hiring CPU performance engineers to optimize their "Graphics drivers"; http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/315329-amd-hiring-cpu-performance-engineer-for-graphics-driver-optimization/

After a year time -> http://pclab.pl/art57235.html

Go blame AMD for giving a damn about your DX11 performance which they kept shitty to lure retarded people into buying their GPU's because Mantle did so good. About evolve;

evolve-bench-1.jpg

That's nearly a 50% difference. 

Have a nice life Faa. Messaged the moderator and told him to ban me. Keep on astroturfing bud. I lost faith in this forum when you attacked someone who was a new user and posted his overclock on an AMD CPU, and told him his new computer he just built was crap.

That is who LTT allows on this site. Funny thing? I usually recommend the I5... Anyways people like you who are literally criminals have to live with yourselves. Have fun with benchmarks that go against what honest sites like Sweclockers showed. You know. Like the Evolve benchmark from the Russian site where an I3>4770k. 

Pointless to argue with criminals, and pointless to argue benchmarks which are an absolute joke. This shows just how bad the tech review industry and forums have gotten. Benchmarks can now be bought and paid for. People like you who harass new users and make them feel bad about their new computer are allowed to be on a site.

I am ASHAMED to have ever been on this forum and even more ashamed that I helped people here, instead of a better moderated site, and often recommended it, and to be honest I should have left after Slick bench marked Far Cry 4 and failed to use an AMD driver which came out before release.

Stay classy Faa and LTT. I do not have the time to argue BS 24/7 or even part time. My job is not to promote a company illegally... 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Final warning.

Any posts which the mods find to be inflammatory, abusive, off topic or otherwise in breach of our Code of Conduct will be given warning points, no questions asked. I don't care how provoked and necessary your post was. I don't care what the other person said. Personal attacks and flaming will not be tolerated.

Any further nonsense and this thread will be locked.

HTTP/2 203

Honestly the class action shouldn't be about vram, it has 4GB as advertised, its the ROPs and cache they lied about.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Honestly the class action shouldn't be about vram, it has 4GB as advertised, its the ROPs and cache they lied about.

I'm keen to see how they argue this one in court:

which were sold based on the misleading representation that the GTX 970 operates with a full 4GB of VRAM at GDDR5 (not a less performant 3.5 GB with a less performant and decoupled .5 GB spillover),

Given their is no actual "performant" rating or scale for the ram that was marketed (just an upto figure). Nvidia can simply argue it never stated a performance because there are too many factors beyond nvidias control to account for, ergo any performance conclusions drawn would have to be proven to be directly from nvidia or gigabyte and not an approximation based solely on it having 4GB of vram.   Obviously the interface will have an effect on vram performance, however as we all know it cannot be used to calculate specific performance.  Just like which sata you use will effect data transfer, however there are many other factors that determine the actual end result.

From the actual filing:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/256406451/Nvidia-lawsuit-over-GTX-970

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Given the lackluster records of the attorneys handling this, I especially don't see Gigabyte losing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I've thought about this and i'm confused...

For about $200 less you can have a gpu that is nearly identical to a 980, but with -10% performance?

who's crying? Nvidia gave you the chance to get great gaming AND save a metric shit-ton of money($200 can go a long way if  ya know how.)

Or maybe, just maybe the 980 is the expensive card? Just sayin.

Meh, the VRAM has less bandwidth than advertised. It was something like 224-bit for the 3.5GB, and 24-bit for .5GB IIRC.

Why people care about that is because it is harder to see in benchmarks and can be a true cause for a bottleneck. The ROPs, cache are much harder to quantify and whatever the impact on performance those specs might give you, is likely shown in the graphs already.

Given the lackluster records of the attorneys handling this, I especially don't see Gigabyte losing.

It'll be very surprising to see this drag on for long. They'll get a sealed settlement IF the case is even heard. Just cause a firm says "class action" doesn't mean a judge doesn't say "yea, not happening". The defence can also move to decertify the class entirely if they're even granted permission to have a class action in the first place. 

As much as people know about technology here, reading up on the law will be helpful too. 

According to the specs, -20%. The only thing 970 was said to have less was the amount of CUDA cores and slightly lower clocks (and you could OC it anyway).

When you give the whole card smaller bandwidth (even the 3.5GB), and the rest of the memory is rarely usable, the differences become larger. Especially since you can complement with the smaller CUDA core count by sticking more cards into an SLI-configuration, but you can't up the memory bandwidth or the amount of available VRAM that way.

It's still a good card, nobody's denying that, but I'd say it's a good thing that the legal system is telling nVidia to not pull bullshit like this. Remember, they only came forward about this after users had noticed that something was wrong. I don't understand the sentiment of having to be thankful to nVidia, especially since the cards have very good margins to begin with (sure, most of the cost is RnD, but if there was tighter competition they wouldn't be selling you flagships cards with 256-bit bus).

20%, I stand corrected. And you're right, the case not only disciplines nVidia for their actions, but also serves as a warning to others.

Or maybe, just maybe the 980 is the expensive card? Just sayin.

At launch the 970 cost only about £50 more than what the GTX 760 cost when it was at full price. I'd say it's both.

How about we sue those publishers that released unfinished games?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

*cough*Ubisoft*cough*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is just dumb. No more to see here folks.

http://www.law360.com/articles/572282/australia-sues-valve-over-online-video-game-return-policy

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

That's BS, an article pertaining to the country I'm in and I need to register?

PMSL

That's BS, an article pertaining to the country I'm in and I need to register?

Yep, you can find it all somewhere else though.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I guess. Even though we both know my position on this topic, I gave up arguing about it because:

1. It doesn't matter what any of us think

2. All we can do is sit back and watch.

Forums are for discussion.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Cool. Class action lawsuits benefit the attourneys more than the actual people on the lawsuit. Guess some of you guys/gals will be getting a $2 check in the mail. Although it is good to see someone doing something about it. I have been invovled in several class action lawsuits and all the companies are still around. Nothing really happened and I got a $2 and $3 check in the mail. I did not start the class action lawsuit.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Forums are for discussion.

And as with any discussion, if opposition wants to dismissively paint you as an "illogical" bandwagon retard, then one is able to walk away from the immaturity.

So happy to see Nvidia get sued here.  They deserve it.  Being an Nvidia fan it would be nice though if people sent a message and stopped buying their damn cards for a bit to send a real clear message to them.  I don't care that the GTX 970 performs well for 1080p and 1440p and at certain other game settings.  What I care about is holding a company accountable for being liars and putting garbage on the market .... crippled arse 1/7th the speed 500 MB of vram.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

So happy to see Nvidia get sued here.  They deserve it.  Being an Nvidia fan it would be nice though if people sent a message and stopped buying their damn cards for a bit to send a real clear message to them.  I don't care that the GTX 970 performs well for 1080p and 1440p and at certain other game settings.  What I care about is holding a company accountable for being liars and putting garbage on the market .... crippled arse 1/7th the speed 500 MB of vram.

Note that the case isn't for all of those who bought a GTX 970, only some of them. And its not even that many people if you look at all of the details.

PMSL

Note that the case isn't for all of those who bought a GTX 970, only some of them. And its not even that many people if you look at all of the details.

A large majority if not all I thought had the ****** vram so it is quite a few.  Don't make light of how many have this issue.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S