NVIDIA have been hit with a class action suit over the GTX 970.

Source - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887234/nvidia-hit-with-false-advertising-suit-over-gtx-970-performance.html

Gaming enthusiasts have been griping for months that Nvidia's GeForce GTX 970 graphics chip doesn't operate up to snuff, and now someone has taken the company to court over it.

Nvidia was hit with a class action lawsuit Thursday that claims it misled customers about the capabilities of the GTX 970, which was released in September.

Nvidia markets the chip as having 4GB of performance-boosting video RAM, but some users have complained the chip falters after using 3.5GB of that allocation.

The lawsuit says the remaining half gigabyte runs 80 percent slower than it's supposed to. That can cause images to stutter on a high resolution screen and some games to perform poorly, the suit says.

It was filed in the U.S. District Court for Northern California and names as defendants Nvidia and Giga-Byte Technology, which sells the GTX 970 in graphics cards.

Nvidia declined to comment on the lawsuit Friday and Giga-Byte couldn't immediately be reached.

Responding to the issue last month, Nvidia acknowledged that the GTX 970 uses a different memory subsystem design than its higher-end GTX 980, but it said that difference has a negligible impact on performance. 

It has also said that, due to an error, the original specifications it published for the GTX 970 were incorrect.

Some gamers are unhappy and want their money back. A discussion thread about the topic at the GeForce.com website runs for 360 pages. There's also a petition at Change.org with more than 8,000 signatures asking regulators in Europe and the U.S. to force Nvidia to provide refunds.

Thursday's lawsuit seeks a jury trial and whatever damages apply under California law. It was filed on behalf of all consumers in the U.S. who bought graphics or video cards with the GTX 970. It will be up to the judge to decide whether the lawsuit can proceed as a class action.

This is kind of a big deal. Basically, they're being hit with a suit along with Gigabyte, though I don't see what they have to do with it. Not too suprising though. How do I feel? I don't know. I think it's a waste of time. Companies lie to you people. All of them. None of them are little innocent goody two shoes. Not to say that there's an excuse for lying. There isn't, but don't be suprised if they are lying to you.

Apparently this was on the WAN Show. HI MOM!

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

hhahha nvidia getting sued, theyle proburly still kick ass in the gpu world

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Just send me a backplate and id be happy  :D

Rose's are red violets are blue, without computers I'd know not what to do.

Good. I hope they get taken to the cleaners for this, even if I don't get my money back. Companies need to learn that lying about a product is NOT okay.

Typical american sueing for everything  :D

I feel the one against Nvidia is warranted, but the one against Gigabyte? Why?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I feel its useless.

Nvidia will continue to throw sand at the consumers eyes until they keep making money.

Like Ubisoft.

Or pretty much like everyone else. Intel are probably still lying to us. So are Kingston, AMD and the rest of them. I won't trust that companies always tell us the truth because they don't.

Not to say that there's an excuse for lying. There isn't, but don't be suprised if they are lying to you.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Or pretty much like everyone else. Intel are probably still lying to us. So are Kingston, AMD and the rest of them. I won't trust that companies always tell us the truth because they don't.

I like my Ubisoft comparison.

Its very relevant as of late.

Did Nvidia actually do anything illegal. I mean there was actually 4GB on the card you know. It's just 0.5GB of that 4GB was slower then the rest. It's like sueing AMD and Nvidia for saying there is 8GB on a dual GPU card when you can only use 4GB of that memory.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Not everything. I generally think lawsuits are stupid, but in this case I think it's completely justified, they lied about it, made up a bullshit excuse, and then offered absolutely nothing for their customers who felt wronged. a 20% refund? They might has well have spat in our faces and said "fuck you, we got your money, use the damned thing as a coaster, we don't care"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did Nvidia actually do anything illegal. I mean there was actually 4GB on the card you know. It's just 0.5GB of that 4GB was slower then the rest. It's like sueing AMD and Nvidia for saying there is 8GB on a dual GPU card when you can only use 4GB of that memory.

The only real issue is the "miscommunication" of specifications aside from the VRAM. There are 4GB and all of it works, just slower.

I feel its useless.

Nvidia will continue to throw sand at the consumers eyes until they keep making money.

Like Ubisoft.

ive realized that us nVidia customers are as blind as apple fanboys alot of the time. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

But the lawyers thank you. They thank you SO MUCH. 

ive realized that us nVidia customers are as blind as apple fanboys alot of the time. 

I've realized that people who generalize like that are blind, point blank. 

Yes, I see the irony in what I just said. 

But the lawyers thank you. They thank you SO MUCH. 

But you don't see the irony, you said we're blind. ;)

Not everything. I generally think lawsuits are stupid, but in this case I think it's completely justified, they lied about it, made up a bullshit excuse, and then offered absolutely nothing for their customers who felt wronged. a 20% refund? They might has well have spat in our faces and said "fuck you, we got your money, use the damned thing as a coaster, we don't care"

i just think its a bit extreme to sue over a GPU.

I would say so.

I mean some people defend the TITAN Z LOL.

I myself have both nvidia and AMD cards and have used both.

I just dont like the lying , the gameworks rigging and the anti consumer BS:

It's still pointless.

It still has 4GB of VRAM.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Source - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887234/nvidia-hit-with-false-advertising-suit-over-gtx-970-performance.html

This is kind of a big deal. Basically, they're being hit with a suit along with Gigabyte, though I don't see what they have to do with it.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I tried to search it.

Good. Not that the people will ever see a dime for a decade and it will prob be like a shiny nickle, and the only people that will get money is lawyers, but at least it might humble them a bit. Nvidia has some fun in court awaiting them. First Samsung and now this.

Better to make a company hurt (and bad press will hurt them more than anything) than to keep bending over and saying please sir may I have another. It is more of a middle finger to Nvidia than a "get rich scheme". We all know how this works. The end user will get nothing.

ROP's/Cache size given to press which they posted were false.  Nvidia has also said they "designed the card to work that way" and has so many BS, conflicting statements that this case will win. It will just take a half a decade...

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

i chose my words carefully, and i stand by what i said. its not everyone and if you have been on this forum for a long time you will notice it too. of course its not everyone and most people like me or you may be open minded in a gpu vs. gpu discussion. the same can be said for people who root for intel, the other day i asked on the forums if a AMD A10 is enough to run Photoshop. the reason why i chose such a cpu was because all my money went into a large ssd drive. some guy decided to rip me a new one and called me  retard for even thinking about purchasing a A10 instead of a core i3.

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Just switched to NVIDIA last week after years of AMD. (Never been on a Green Team Card before.) I must say, the 970 is such a pleasure to use. The 0RPM idle mode, the super quiet fans at loads, and the amazing gaming performance! I can play things like Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor at Ultra settings and never go below 60fps. The card has also transitioned into the last .5GB of VRAM near flawlessly for me, and I suspect that's because of the new drivers. It works, it works great, and I couldn't be happier.

I don't think this lawsuit is necessary.