NVIDIA have been hit with a class action suit over the GTX 970.

Any class action lawsuit is truly pointless and only serves to benefit the lawyers. The only possible benefit would be more scrutiny over marketing.

Pointless? Oh please not again.

First when the 970 3.5GB fiasco started, the specs became completely meaningless, now a lawsuit is completely meaningless.

I wonder what else will become meaningless as we go on with the 970 story.

As I said before, a lawsuit does not hurt you or me. So what is there to complain?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

The other manufacturers pulled the cards?

Please, let me jump off a bridge for not having the opportunity to read other users' posts due to my opening the topic before others could even post.  <_<

I don't know if you understood my point. I agree with you. The stupidity is attributed to the people that did the lawsuit, since they should not involve the manufacturers, let alone GigaByte in particular. Misunderstanding at its finest :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Again I'm not starting a big thing here again (You all probably read my sentiments on this: a lie by omission it's still a lie) but if we focus on this type of claims then yes there is a legal case here. Granted there's almost always a legal case (The idiots who where selling the 1k cable for audio come to mind) but on the contrary, I think that even if lost it could end up impacting and reducing the practice of stupid claims and marketing words on products which to me it's positive.

Or it might at least put an end to excuses like "miscommunication". Or so I hope.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I don't know if you understood my point. I agree with you. The stupidity is attributed to the people that did the lawsuit, since they should not involve the manufacturers, let alone GigaByte in particular. Misunderstanding at its finest :P

They're likely one of the biggest partners Lawyers target the biggest fish they can, kinda how you see lots of people going after Samsung even though they're millions of phone makers, Samsung just happen to be a large, juicy target.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Or it might at least put an end to excuses like "miscommunication". Or so I hope.

Sadly nothing can end fanboyism, but I agree with the hope sentiment yes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Okay, now I understand. Read your post at midnight or something, so I probably wasn't getting it completely. Thanks for clearing it up a little more. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I truly believe AIBs should not be involved into the lawsuit. They did NOTHING to deserve this.

Sadly nothing can end fanboyism, but I agree with the hope sentiment yes.

My gripe is that they got away with the excuse. What I hope from the lawsuit if that from now on they (and anyone else) will be compelled to provide fair compensation to make up for their shortcomings/mistakes. That's all. Fair and square. No?

Don't see what you found fanboyish...

I think the bad publicity they will get for this will hurt them more than what they'll end up paying, and I think that's fair. The issue doesn't affect performance that much, but they should not get away with being deceitful.

My gripe is that they got away with the excuse. What I hope from the lawsuit if that from now on they (and anyone else) will be compelled to provide fair compensation to make up for their shortcomings/mistakes. That's all. Fair and square. No?

Don't see what you found fanboyish...

I meant people on this forums that minimized or even defended Nvidia mainly due to that green logo and not because of any logical reasons consumers like us should be interested in, like what you think should be a very universally held sentiment of "Don't fucking lie to me, don't mislead me, don't intentionally omit things" and so on, but like I said once they see "green team" they seemingly see no reason beyond that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They're likely one of the biggest partners Lawyers target the biggest fish they can, kinda how you see lots of people going after Samsung even though they're millions of phone makers, Samsung just happen to be a large, juicy target.

Yeah. Money is what makes the Earth spin... 

Okay, now I understand. Read your post at midnight or something, so I probably wasn't getting it completely. Thanks for clearing it up a little more. :P

Yeah man no problem :D

Pointless? Oh please not again.

First when the 970 3.5GB fiasco started, the specs became completely meaningless, now a lawsuit is completely meaningless.

I wonder what else will become meaningless as we go on with the 970 story.

As I said before, a lawsuit does not hurt you or me. So what is there to complain?

Nvidia spends money on lawyers, uses card prices to recoup the loss. It hurts the consumer if it's frivolous, which this is by all sensibilities.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nvidia spends money on lawyers, uses card prices to recoup the loss. It hurts the consumer if it's frivolous, which this is by all sensibilities.

Of course there are alternatives if the card prices are too high. The benefits of competition. One less thing to worry about.

Of course there are alternatives if the card prices are too high. The benefits of competition. One less thing to worry about.

In a competitive market, you'd have a point. GPUs is a duopoly system. There's no real competition to be had. This is why it infuriates me that Nvidia reneged on its licensing when Larabe was analyzed. A third competitor would have helped a lot.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

In a competitive market, you'd have a point. GPUs is a duopoly system. There's no real competition to be had. This is why it infuriates me that Nvidia reneged on its licensing when Larabe was analyzed. A third competitor would have helped a lot.

The competition between the two is fierce enough I guess?

But I do agree with your point.

The competition between the two is fierce enough I guess?

But I do agree with your point.

Not really. There's no reason either company's flagship cards should cost more than an x930K processor from Intel, even at launch.

Before this incident, I was an Nvidia fanboy, now, I am going to switch to AMD at my next possible opportunity. Nvidia is dead to me until they apologize for lying about the card. No half assed cop-out blaming a clerical error.

Ooh Is that why you're taking 8 ROPs so personally? If you'd never been a fanboy to start with, you probably wouldn't have gone so far the other way. Because it's really not that big of an issue.

Ooh Is that why you're taking 8 ROPs so personally? If you'd never been a fanboy to start with, you probably wouldn't have gone so far the other way. Because it's really not that big of an issue.

People are obviously shopping by specs and not benchmarks all of a sudden.

Don't cry over companies because companies don't cry over you. 

It should have been expected, but after 93 pages on the other thread and now 13 on this and people still don't get half of it and it's rather disappointing.

For the last time:

No one is excusing Nvidia, some of us are just keeping things in perspective.  You know, not getting carried away with extreme and sometimes quite erroneous opinions.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just a reminder from our very own Code of Conduct: :)

Core Values: 

• "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

<p>

Core Values:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.

Thank you based ghost

Core Values: 

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members

Thank you. It appears that some people feel it necessary to call people irrational and illogical because they have a dissenting opinion. It is very upsetting.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

That's not a great analogy but let's go with it for now.

Did the camera manufacturer ever tell you that the camera supports the capacity you put into it (so the product page doesn't claim up to 64GB and you used a 128GB card)? If they specifically claimed to do so on their website, at full speed, then it's a lie. If they didn't claim to support it then it's not a lie. If they just claim "support the latest UHS class 3 standard" and it works fine with everything up to 64GB, but when you put a 128GB card into it everything above 65GB is slow then that's perfectly reasonable and does not deserve a lawsuit.

Want a better analogy? SSDs and eMMCs. Did you know that if you fill your SSD up to over ~80% the performance of it will go down?

I want to see what @Trik'Stari, @zappian and everyone else with the pitchforks thinks of this because it is exactly the same scenario.

One speed is advertised and one capacity is advertised. The more of the capacity you use, the lower speed you get. The same is true for hard drive speeds as well. The data written near the center of the disk is far slower than the area near the edge.

It's not just Samsung that is affected by this either, it's every single SSD and eMMC.

First off. You totally missed my point. Its not whether or not the card is supported. But rather with even SUPPORTED cards the camera locks up at 87.5% full and I sold it not saying anything. I don't know about you but if you in no way found it even remotely shady. Then I don't really want to even bother trying to explain anymore cause you're too caught up with NVIDIA.

2nd off. The SSD sounded good eh? But its not. Not even by a mile. It's common knowledge that all storage medium slows down when approaching capacity, also the slow down is typically not that extreme. With graphics card its not at all. Look at the 980, 290/X all these 4GB cards DONT behave in the same way as the 970 does. The 970 is the odd one out. Infact if you want to use that argument about storage medium I would then say that kind of scenario is what I personally am trying to avoid with this entire vram issue. Stop giving the companies any room to do this lest in the future we have to start giving advice like "we need at least a gpu that doesn't use up more than 3/4 of its vram or it would slowdown."

Edit : If NVIDIA had handled this differently, maybe apologized and seem abit more apologetic about this. I wouldn't bother shaking the tree and give them a benefit of doubt. I mean even Apple had to give in to consumer over the antenna issue (still not the best way to resolve it but there was some form of resolution) so why are we giving Nvidia so much leeway when they haven't done much to redeem themselves? Their actions thus far just seem as tho they just want to sweep it under the rug. At least to me.