The NSA Has the Master Key to Unlock Your Phone's Secure Messages

us2f8awd2wp4pdrebjbe.jpg

I guess having access to all your nudes and dirty jokes is very important to the NSA et al, who seem hellbent on having AS MANY ways of accessing your information as humanely possible. 

One would think they already have enough ways to get what they need, but according to this article they clearly want more and have resorted to straight up theft to get access to what they need. 

According to top-secret documents given to The Intercept by Edward Snowden, British and American spies stole encryption keys from the largest SIM card manufacturer in the world. This is a huge deal because it means it could be way, way easier for the NSA to conduct widespread surveillance of encrypted communications without ever asking permission or even letting on that it's doing so. 

With these stolen keys, the NSA and GCHQ (the British equivalent) have the ability to conduct surveillance on our phones without getting warrants or asking permission from telecom companies or foreign governments. The SIM card manufacturer, Gemalto, sells to Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and over 450 wireless carriers worldwide, so the theft gives spies a tool to unlock an untold number of encrypted communications.

This is bad news for pretty much anyone with a phone, since it's highly likely that your phone contains a Gemalto-manufactured SIM card, and that means any attempts on your part to encrypt communications is futile. It's also bad news for governments other than the U.S. and U.K., since these encryption keys give them an easy way to spy in foreign countries without asking permission (that they'd never get). And it's really bad news for Gemalto, since the NSA and GCHQ cyberstalked and hacked its employees to obtain the keys.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/19/great-sim-heist/

http://gizmodo.com/the-nsa-has-the-master-key-to-unlock-your-phones-secure-1686825874

Privacy isn't a thing any more. Sad but true.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thanks 'Murica for all the freedom, I can even feel it over here in Austria

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

so what? if they want to look at my boobie collection so be it. titties are the secret so a safe and secure country. 

"Land of liberty"

naw see, US citizens are 99% fine. (ish)

everyone else in the world needs to be worried. seems like its only US citizens that are up in arms, when in reality if you look at what the NSA does, its mostly directed and hacks foreign countries. 

Im surpised we havent heard more anger coming from foreign leaders. 

It's funny how fitting this song is :P

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

what a legal way of doing things

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

"Why would you care about what the government can see if you have nothing to hide?"

-no one, ever

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

so what? if they want to look at my boobie collection so be it. titties are the secret so a safe and secure country. 

Sorry, but you reminded me of this song.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Sorry, but you reminded me of this song.

lol never heard of that song...glad you shared it  :)

Doesn't mean we shouldn't fight for it anymore.

Snowden motivates the outer world to do so.

*takes tinfoil hat out of vault and begins to out on*

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

*sigh*

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.

BensBigIdea.gif

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

I wonder how long before "you have a problem with us spying on you" becomes "you are an enemy of the state".

Before you call me a tinfoil hat/neck beard,.....what was the response years ago when people like myself said "the government is spying on everyone"?

*minds blown*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yay!!!!! more sucky news. Snowden should release all the files he has online.....this is just ridiculous. 

I recently contacted Seagate about their view on the whole NSA HDD firmware report and i haven't heard an answer yet....yes i know they won't touch it with a wireless signal much less a 10foot pole.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I guess as long as it catches us some "bad-guys" it's alright, right? RIGHT?

so does stolen evidence count in front of the court now?

mobile-9165-1373525116-8.jpg

Also ... I don't live in us .. So I don't really care what NSA does ...

But .. What they are doing is wrong ...

Muricans ... Only a matter of time before eating pretzels and cheetos becomes a threat to national security

ce1-640.jpg

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

Yay!!!!! more sucky news. Snowden should release all the files he has online.....this is just ridiculous.

That guy should get a statue, or even permanent residence in the White House. It would be the first time in decades that there'd be someone sincere there.

So essentially if I steal documents that assist to protect me (e.g company financial reports before they are due) I am going to be charged and punished, but if the NSA do it it's fine? 

too many people have forgotten what the phrase "we live in a free country" means.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.