Some user are mad because Nvidia new driver (347.09) Blocked Overclocking for GTX 900M

ahhming

G1 gaming. one does 1530/1907ish and the other does 1560/1940ish 

I might try again to see if mine behaves itself, because without touching anything its not that far behind (though it is unstable as hell).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I might try again to see if mine behaves itself, because without touching anything its not that far behind (though it is unstable as hell).

i only used the max power slider

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i only used the max power slider

Yeah.. that won't help me. I've just found another problem with my GTX 970, and this I've got a video of it. Apparently adding core voltage does nothing on mine.

Edit: scratch that, my recording screwed up, it looked like it was 720p on my tablet, but it turns out that its not. It records at the same quality as my phone, just without the sound.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I unlocked and overclocked my G75VX which has a 670MX.  The thermal cooling on this thing is phenomenal.  Before, I topped out at 59 C, and after overclocking from a base of 600 Mhz to 900 Mhz, I am still below 80 C.

I can think of 1000 reasons why allowing 1000's of people to overclock themselves.  I'd say that NVIDIA is 1000 times wrong on this.

huh funny I i had the same model with a 660m and I could barely overlclock it, or maybe I didnt want to hmm..... oh well

lool I never said that nivida was right it was a real dick move but still it is not safe for the laptop especially ultrabooks,

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in Sweden it is up to the manufacturer to prove that the customer is responsible for the damage on a device when claiming warranty within the first 6 months.

If I destroyed my laptop though overclocking then I would have mine replaced for free unless Nvidia could prove that I was the one responsible. That's pretty much impossible for them to do. That's why I said I think this is just Nvidia trying to cover their own butts from stupid people. It's bad for people who were going to overclock them responsibly, but those are a very small minority. For like 99% of laptop customers this is just to protect them from destroying their laptops and possibly blame Nvidia for their own incompetents.

This was pretty much my thoughts on it when I heard it on the wan show. Until then I don't overclock laptops so I never read the thread.

If nvidia can't determine that overclocking was the cause of any damage and they know overclocking causes a higher rate of RMA (especially expensive laptop RMA) then the only solution is to prevent it.  

The whole argument of allowing customers to do what they want with their own hardware is sidelined when consumers make Nvidia (through whatever oem or manufacturer)replace the hardware they broke.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

To those of you saying Nvidia did the right thing. No. They did not. I have a friend with the Lenovo Y500. It has dual 650m SLI. The default clock was 790 MHz. He overclocked it up to 1000 MHz. He merely bumped the voltage. Temps are also well within safe. He could overclock more if he did a bios flash to unlock more voltage control but he's content with his overclock right now. I know this driver only disables 900m series oc ability but still.

TBH, if a user wants to overclock. It's his own choice and he or she's taking the risk. People stupid enough to overclock till the GPU is dead is probably too stupid to even realize they can overclock their laptop...

Ah well, some hack is probably going to appear to allow oc again soon.

To those of you saying Nvidia did the right thing. No. They did not. I have a friend with the Lenovo Y500. It has dual 650m SLI. The default clock was 790 MHz. He overclocked it up to 1000 MHz. He merely bumped the voltage. Temps are also well within safe. He could overclock more if he did a bios flash to unlock more voltage control but he's content with his overclock right now. I know this driver only disables 900m series oc ability but still.

TBH, if a user wants to overclock. It's his own choice and he or she's taking the risk. People stupid enough to overclock till the GPU is dead is probably too stupid to even realize they can overclock their laptop...

Ah well, some hack is probably going to appear to allow oc again soon.

I'm guessing you either didn't read the reasons or didn't understand the reasons why this is justified.

Do you know what the RMA rate is for overclocked mobile solutions?  Nvidia does.  Do you know the actual cost of repairing/replacing laptops due to overclocking? nvidia does. do you know if there is anyway nvidia can determine if a fault is due to overclocking?  because if there isn't and Joe know it all goes and overclocks his laptop, guess who has to pay for it to be replaced when he RMA's it? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Interesting timing to say the least. Distract the public from another issue with a lesser one.

Is overclocking a mobile gpu the only way to justify spending a ridiculous amount of money on a laptop?

Yes. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Everything can be overclocked if you're brave enough, come on Nvidia are you sure you just don't wanna pack your shit and move to manufacture gaming consoles? Because this kind of ridiculous control seeking behavior is totally fine over there.

-------

Current Rig

-------

also nvidia once again fails to inform people that they gimped stuff. whats next oops we accidentally added 1000 more cuda cores to the 980 ti lets just disable them though software

also what if a manufacturer wants to overbuild the cooling in a laptop to do a factory overclock or allow consumers to overclock

This was pretty much my thoughts on it when I heard it on the wan show. Until then I don't overclock laptops so I never read the thread.

If nvidia can't determine that overclocking was the cause of any damage and they know overclocking causes a higher rate of RMA (especially expensive laptop RMA) then the only solution is to prevent it.  

The whole argument of allowing customers to do what they want with their own hardware is sidelined when consumers make Nvidia (through whatever oem or manufacturer)replace the hardware they broke.

Most importantly, this isn't like a socketed CPU or a GPU that can be removed if things go wrong (and sometimes even have provisions to be covered if they fail under overclocking). This is a soldered on, permanent part of a machine thing. If it fails, the entire board has to be replaced. I've seen what logic boards cost on computers that are worth something - FUCK PAYING FOR THAT. 

Fuck paying that as a consumer, as a repair shop, as a OEM. No thanks. Its expensive. Its not easy to just reuse components. They are minimizing their expenses and cutting out a feature that makes little sense on laptops (until better cooling methods are introduced). Maybe if heat pipes and vapour chambers worked better, Nvidia might not care. But they don't. Laptops are so tightly designed, finding a good overclocker is the exception; not the norm. 

If we want to try to do or die, we should. We buy the right to fry! Theirs is not to reason why!

So how about those laptops which are ADVERTISED to be OCed out of the box. Sorry guys. NVIDIA is well within their limits to do such a dick move. But its still a dick move.

Just got abit peeved its the SAME people defending Nvidia and not even trying to see things from another perspective. Not saying fanbois but yea...kinda hard for it not to seem so.

Manufacturers like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Acer, etc... can put the clock speed, their custom VBIOS settings (the card still OCable via VBIOS flash anyways).

Nvidia just did a drivers tweak so you can't oc those GPUs via software.

But isn't that the whole thing? That its resetting even those custom overclocks?

Most importantly, this isn't like a socketed CPU or a GPU that can be removed if things go wrong (and sometimes even have provisions to be covered if they fail under overclocking). This is a soldered on, permanent part of a machine thing. If it fails, the entire board has to be replaced. I've seen what logic boards cost on computers that are worth something - FUCK PAYING FOR THAT. 

Fuck paying that as a consumer, as a repair shop, as a OEM. No thanks. Its expensive. Its not easy to just reuse components. They are minimizing their expenses and cutting out a feature that makes little sense on laptops (until better cooling methods are introduced). Maybe if heat pipes and vapour chambers worked better, Nvidia might not care. But they don't. Laptops are so tightly designed, finding a good overclocker is the exception; not the norm. 

Not all of the GPUs are soldered, you can infact buy them separately as well. It used to be very rare that you could, now it is more common and a selling point for some laptop enthusiasists.

The real reason for this is not really your protection; otherwise some laptop manufacturers wouldn't have been marketing the laptop GPU OCing as a feature, and the feature would have been disabled long ago as well. Instead, it is much more simple - the Maxwell GPUs OC too well.

There was a similar situation with the GTX 780M and 880M. 880M was a binned, hot, overclocked 780M - and as such, it hardly had any overclocking headroom, and throttled on some laptops with inadequate cooling. You can bet that the 1000M-whatever it will be a rebranded 900-series card with higher clocks.

Is it not really a mystery how some GTX 970M and 980M laptops are at their thermal limits - but they are those new, slim machines where you physically cannot fit a very good cooling solution. However, the very same GPUs are also sold in much more thick enclosures with much heavier duty cooling. It only makes sense to overclock in that case - especially when we're not talking about 10 - 15% gains, we could be talking about 40% gains.

From what I've heard, this kind of behaviour isn't new to nVidia. For example, GTX 500-series were hardlocked to maximum of 1000 Mhz core clock in their later drivers, despite some GPUs overclocking better. Though few had the chip and the cooling to accommodate for that, it was a handy way to make a GTX 680 more appealing. This was on desktops btw.

The way how it would be appropriate is to give the oem the ability to enable overclocking if they choose to do so. That way, the oem who knows the TDP limitations of the laptop can judge whether if the cooling will be adequate for overclocking or not. And then they can market these features to the enthusiast crowd, who was already very aware of the overclocking possibilities.

I'm not really supporting nVidia anymore after the GTX970 fuck-up but this is a good move to block overclocking on a mobile GPU.

Who the hell wants a performance difference of between 1 and 5%?? It is not right and you're decreasing its lifespan.

Wanna overclock? Get a desktop than rather spending more than 2000 fucking dollars on a thing you'll never get the desktop class performance.

Dust builds up very easily and the temps will increase gradually over the months and few years.

And the problem with OEMs is they are damn cocky and retarded to make the laptop easy open-able to get rid of dust.

Spending more than 2000 dollars to overclock just to gain 1-5% performance extra. SMDH.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I see where nvidia is coming from about it being a laptop and it not being the greatest thermals for overclocking but if the user wants to risk damage to their pc then let them do it they will probably just go buy another one if they break it or get it repaired and replaced by another nvidia product.

I see Nvidia is gonna Keep Diggin with Ubisoft. They grouped up. First my 970 and now everyone on the globe with a new GPU in there Notebooks... bug... sure. Nvidia is gonna lose a lot of consumers I guess.

Since they did the 970 thing they aren't stopping that crap, are they? Nvidia lost all my respect and I'm not sure if I ever gonna buy an Nvidia card again. MY FIRST CARD....970.

I hate them.

Nvidia's new mobile fancy GPU's are incomming. Unlocked +100$ more to pay.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

Imbeciles overcocking Mobile GPUs to get more performance. Jesus fuck that's stupid :D

Doing it for fun/tests is fine. Not for 24/7 use.

Cars are so limited in airflow....

I agree with links 100% on this:

User should be able to do whatever he wants with the product (void warranty, destroy etc.)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE