Some user are mad because Nvidia new driver (347.09) Blocked Overclocking for GTX 900M

ahhming

36a.jpg

GeForce drivers (version 347.09) was found that it blocked GeForce GTX 900M overclocking capabilities. The series originally have overclocking capabilities, but users complained that after the update frequency of the latest graphics driver rollback to default factory clock.

What does this means.

Some laptop such as Asus have a a progmrame which boost performance will be affected.
http://www.asus.com/us/site/g-series/#power

Less performance as Maxwell produce less heat and more overhead for OC
From what we have seen in user testimonies, some owners of high-end laptops have been able to get up to 30% more performance out of their graphics chips.

Shinra358-
 I have a notebook with a desktop processor. I'm having no issues and I have a 980M I just got. Overclocked, I am getting 9503 on firestrike. Not overclocked, I'm getting 8470. That's a pretty decent difference. My gpu temps don't go past 80c and my processor doesn't go past 60c.....

Thier reason? Overclocking was a bug feature that was not intended in the first place.

nvidia please. stahp

Thread:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/805791/geforce-drivers/gtx-900m-overclocking-with-347-09-347-25/post/4458903/#4458903

Article:
http://www.techpowerup.com/209820/nvidia-disables-geforce-gtx-900m-mobile-gpu-overclocking-with-driver-update.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDIA-Disables-Mobile-GPU-Overclocking-Without-Warning-472953.shtml

http://hardocp.com/news/2015/02/12/nvidia_drivers_remove_gpu_overclocking_from_laptops_maxwell_based_gpus63#.VN2cIOaUf0y

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_disables_gtx_900m_overclocking_with_driver_update/1

Who wouldnt be mad?!

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

you shouldnt overclock a mobile gpu they are more over likely to overheat do to lack of room and  having less air to cool them. I cant blame nividia,  although I guess if you want too kill your notebook you should be allowed to do so.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Is overclocking a mobile gpu the only way to justify spending a ridiculous amount of money on a laptop?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Why... why in the hell would you overclock on a laptop?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Well built laptops can handle overclocks, and the performance boost is always good.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

See how far you can push it. If you aren't damaging anything, which on things like high end asus laptops you aren't, then why not? 

Well built laptops can handle overclocks, and the performance boost is always good.

I'd think you'd get a thermal throttle before you get benefit from the overclock, but I don't use a laptop, so eh.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I'd think you'd get a thermal throttle before you get benefit from the overclock, but I don't use a laptop, so eh.

Then don't comment.

PMSL

Edgy.

Sorry, I'm a bit pissed at having another 2 brand new HDD die.

PMSL

Quite a shame there are no AMD based laptops that I can find on the market anymore/yet, I'm guessing that's because of a new architecture coming out for their mobile chips and GPUs.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

can i say it ? 

ok ill say it KEEP ON DIGGIN NVIDIA ! 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Quite a shame there are no AMD based laptops that I can find on the market anymore/yet, I'm guessing that's because of a new architecture coming out for their mobile chips and GPUs.

Asus Ultrabook (I forget the model, but my Mum is noticing that it runs a lot hotter than her first gen i5 convertible, and a lot slower too).

can i say it ? 

ok ill say it  KEEP ON DIGGIN NVIDIA !

That's Ubisoft's line.

PMSL

-snip-

.. don't bait the trolls..

-snip-

Personally, and for the record I use my gaming laptops as mobile workstations a lot, this doesn't bother me.

Even if you have a beefy notebook like the Asus ones I have, heat can be a real problem. Imagine that heat in something like a Razer blade, where cooling is not nearly as effective. I'd rather sacrifice a little in the way of added performance for longer stability.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

.. don't bait the trolls..

sorry .-. forgot people on tech forums get a little flamed (no im not being sarcastic , in case someone thinks im saying this in a sarcastic way , which i am not)

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

How is that ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen's fault? Don't be a dick, it'll get you a lot further :)

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

RMA? It's all gouda.

Asus Ultrabook (I forget the model, but my Mum is noticing that it runs a lot hotter than her first gen i5 convertible, and a lot slower too).

That's Ubisoft's line.

a.) Asus has that regionally and at least on the US Asus site there is no AMD option   -_-

I did go to the UK site and surely they had an AMD ultrabook... http://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/X102BA/

b.) Ubisoft is cool, they're French. Nvidia on the other hand is digging.  ;)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

How is that ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen's fault? Don't be a dick, it'll get you a lot further :)

I apologized.

RMA? It's all gouda.

These are respectively the 7th and 8th HDD I've had fail within the last 4 years, with minimal use as storage HDD.

PMSL

I never saw a point in overclocking in laptops anyways. Kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop.

I never saw a point in overclocking in laptops anyways. Kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop.

free performance? If it doesn't overheat I fail to see the issue. Maxwell TDPs are generally good too. And some users may want a temporary performance boost especially when plugged in. Obviously you won't see the big overclocks you do on desktop.

I apologized.

These are respectively the 7th and 8th HDD I've had fail within the last 4 years, with minimal use as storage HDD.

I know lol, no hard feelings, just making a statement. What the hell do you do to those hard drives though?!