Some user are mad because Nvidia new driver (347.09) Blocked Overclocking for GTX 900M

ahhming

If the drivers get hacked, then Nvidia doesn't have to support it. They very well could void the warranty.

People on here are thinking from just one angle... You need to look at it from both a reliability, performance, AND a business perspective.

As I said before... Are you willing to trade 40% of the life of the component for 10% performance?

I do honestly believe Nvidia is doing something good here. Sure it's to cover their ass, but it watches out for the customer too.

yea well, they could just update terms and say "if x, then warrenty voided and we wont deal with it" and let them do it, if they're going to do it anyway that is.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

I personally think Nvidia is in the wrong on this one. Once I purchase a laptop, I own it and it's mine to do with as I please. I See it like buying a ghz edition graphics card then having it down clocked, I'm no longer getting what I paid for, if I bought it manufactured oc'ed.

I personally do overclock my laptops. I think people forget that just because it doesn't make sense for them doesn't mean it doesn't make since for others. My job requires me to live on an airplane for a week at a time and I travel a lot. I can't bring my desktop with me. So I buy gaming laptops and OC them. I know it will never be as good as my desktop but I use it often enough that I don't want to settle for medium settings when I know it could go to higher settings.

Except Nvidia then has to deal with all the people saying "oh but my GPU died" cause it sure as hell isn't the laptop makers who are paying for those replacement GPUs (aka, replacement motherboards. Who do you think they send the bill to?) 

Laptops are designed with very specific thermal limits. Its a laptop. Cooling is already compromised beyond belief. Getting a laptop that overclocks well on any level is a miracle, given how most laptops just don't have the thermal headroom to sustain something like that without causing real damage to the components. Hell, I gave my laptops 6770m a overclock and that was sketchy as hell, to the point where I didn't think it made much sense to risk component life over a few more FPS (which would go away anyways since thermal throttling would happen sooner). 

Nvidia is in the right here. These aren't desktop class GPUs with lots of headroom to tweak.  These are laptop chips with very specific TDP values enclosed in very tiny spaces with very specific cooling methods. If Nvidia wants to clamp down and cut out all the warranty work, so be it. If you want to OC your laptop, I admire the dedication to tinkering, but I don't see the value. We have perfectly unlocked desktop class GPUs for that. 

Maybe Nvidia can revise it so that laptops that actually have proven cooling methods (aka can SUSTAIN overclocks within their thermal limits) could get special patches that allow it officially. Thats a possibility. But what they've done now is the easier and smarter "just ban everything" approach so they don't specifically HAVE to cater to any one set of laptops that can do it. 

I understand Nvidia being at the short end of the stick on the OC deal and I think they shouldn't have to cover users mistakes.

I personally feel they should implement their restrictions on the next gpu go around so people know off the bat it can't be OC'ed. If I bought the 980m with the intention to OC and they took that away after 3mo into my purchase I'd be upset to.

I understand risk involved with the laptop OCing and am willing to risk it and don't expect a manufacture to cover my mistakes. I've learned the hard way too, overclocking an AMD mobile GPU/CPU to the point where it burnt the heatsink. I didn't warranty it, I bought another because I knew I screwed up, not AMD.

Just because you don't think it's worth the risk doesn't mean I don't. I get that we have desktops for overclocking but when a desktop isn't an option and I'm forced to use a laptop to game for weeks at a time, that extra OC could be the difference between playing at settings I'm used to. 1000 point gain in firestrike with sage temps sounds good in my book.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD you whiney little motherfuckers love to bitch, don't you? (the internet, not you guys)

What nvidia said is 100% valid, and it seems so many are still butthurt over the 970 fiasco - when there was NOTHING WRONG AT ALL with the card. 

I understand their perspective 100%. They have every foot to stand on. The laptops ARE NOT ADVERTISED AS OVERCLOCKING CAPABLE - you know, like desktop GPU's.

Overclocking is NOT a supported feature of M series GTX cards. nVidia fixing a bug is nothing for you to get butthurt over, or even slightly sad.

I'm absolutely disgusted by that reply in OP's picture - nvidia shouldn't have to deal with this bullshit. They are a perfectly competent company making fantastic products, and I'm completely over 2015 being "bash nvidia" year. 

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Who wouldnt be mad?!

People who have a brain and actually pause to think about shit. 

It's like tuning the engine in your car. 90% of manufactuers will void the warranty if done so. 

How is tuning a graphics card that is NOT DESIGNED TO BE TUNED any fucking different?

Yes, it may be safe. But then look at the most popular modified cars - same fucking story. 

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD you whiney little motherfuckers love to bitch, don't you? (the internet, not you guys)

What nvidia said is 100% valid, and it seems so many are still butthurt over the 970 fiasco - when there was NOTHING WRONG AT ALL with the card. 

I understand their perspective 100%. They have every foot to stand on. The laptops ARE NOT ADVERTISED AS OVERCLOCKING CAPABLE - you know, like desktop GPU's.

Overclocking is NOT a supported feature of M series GTX cards. nVidia fixing a bug is nothing for you to get butthurt over, or even slightly sad.

I'm absolutely disgusted by that reply in OP's picture - nvidia shouldn't have to deal with this bullshit. They are a perfectly competent company making fantastic products, and I'm completely over 2015 being "bash nvidia" year. 

this I remember trying to overclock a 660m once.. I was barely able to most manufacturers dont support overclocking, and generally speaking you really shouldnt overclock a laptop anyways its really bad for the internals

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

so nvidia should disable overclocking for all their gpus

well, that's a bit out of contrast, but im not the person that would be overclocking, since the performance gain most of the time in small(hurrduur i gain 10FPS more) and not worth it.

But like said before by other people(multiple times, to lazy to search and quote them) it is about the cooling factor, mobile GPU's aren't made to overclock, neither are their coolers so OCing them gives bigger chance in failure, which would be bad for Nvidia, since they had to spend time and/or resources into looking into the problems and cause's(along with costs for replacements) but yes, people are allowed to have a choice of freedom, but honestly would you like to fry the GPU in your laptop, which isn't simply pull out RMA and work on internal GPU for a while?

they do this more as a safety measure for themselves, their products and their costumers if you ask me.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Nope, nothing wrong with the card at all... nothing at all. Move along internet, pick up that can.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

#JustKeepDigging

Lol too bad no one was a fan of ubisoft to defend them

My reply to this thread should be taken as comedy :)

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Who cares about overclocking on a thermal limited device. I wouldn't doubt Nvidia did this purposely on behalf of helping laptop manufactures.

Who cares about overclocking on a thermal limited device.

every device is in some way thermally limited.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

well that is bull. they are doing it to reduce rma's clearly

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

well that is bull. they are doing it to reduce rma's clearly

Which is an entirely valid move. You design something to be used in a scenario and validate it for that scenario; then an end user changes the settings and runs the product out of spec that is not the companies fault. If I have an engine that was designed for gas and I blew it because I was running straight alcohol  its my fault not the manufacturers.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I think the point here is that if a user wishes to burn up their laptop by overclocking it, who the hell are Nvidia to tell them no?

They already paid for it, if they want they can take it out back and throw it in a fire, none of Nvidia's business.

the graphics chip maker?the ones that takes the hit when a dude breaks the laptop by overcloking the gpu then send it for RMA? 

you can buy a laptop and throw it in a fire no one stops you. you void the warranty nobody cares.

the graphics chip maker?the ones that takes the hit when a dude breaks the laptop by overcloking the gpu then send it for RMA? 

you can buy a laptop and throw it in a fire no one is stops you. you void the warranty nobody cares.

They only reason Nvidia has to take hits is because of idiots that do not know what they are doing.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Which is an entirely valid move. You design something to be used in a scenario and validate it for that scenario; then an end user changes the settings and runs the product out of spec that is not the companies fault. If I have an engine that was designed for gas and I blew it because I was running straight alcohol  its my fault not the manufacturers.

it is but they could just be honest about it, instead of making excuses. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

it is but they could just be honest about it, instead of making excuses. 

*cough*GTX 970 works the way it was designed*cough*

PMSL

*cough*GTX 970 works the way it was designed*cough*

of course. i have 2 of them  :(

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

you shouldnt overclock a mobile gpu they are more over likely to overheat do to lack of room and  having less air to cool them. I cant blame nividia,  although I guess if you want too kill your notebook you should be allowed to do so.

I unlocked and overclocked my G75VX which has a 670MX.  The thermal cooling on this thing is phenomenal.  Before, I topped out at 59 C, and after overclocking from a base of 600 Mhz to 900 Mhz, I am still below 80 C.

I can think of 1000 reasons why allowing 1000's of people to overclock themselves.  I'd say that NVIDIA is 1000 times wrong on this.

of course. i have 2 of them  :(

What brand? Because I just realised today that mine has a bit of an oddity (G1 Gaming), it boosts to over 1450MHz, at its supposedly 'stock' settings (probably why I'm having issues-it overvolts itself by the full 87mv).

PMSL

I unlocked and overclocked my G75VX which has a 670MX.  The thermal cooling on this thing is phenomenal.  Before, I topped out at 59 C, and after overclocking from a base of 600 Mhz to 900 Mhz, I am still below 80 C.

I can think of 1000 reasons why allowing 1000's of people to overclock themselves.  I'd say that NVIDIA is 1000 times wrong on this.

Overclocking voids warranty plain and simple. So there's no reason for them to not disable overclocking at a driver level. This is in the best interest of the manufactures having to replace faulty hardware because someone decided they didn't want to spend more for the performance they needed.

honestly I dont see this as an issue

the current trend for gaming laptops are thin and light chassis with very minimal cooling solutions, I think this is the right move from nvidia

sure like 2% of their users will be annoyed, for the rest they either wont notice or wont care

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What brand? Because I just realised today that mine has a bit of an oddity (G1 Gaming), it boosts to over 1450MHz, at its supposedly 'stock' settings (probably why I'm having issues-it overvolts itself by the full 87mv).

G1 gaming. one does 1530/1907ish and the other does 1560/1940ish 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

okey, gimme all of them, u get the time u need, but i want all 1000 diffrent, proper, indviually explained reasons, go ahead.

yes, partly bait, but im serious, i want to see all 1000 reasons, nicely listed.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.