Researcher - Light from electronic devices cause teenager to sleep less

ahhming

The research confirms long-standing assumptions about the effects of electronic devices on sleep, but scientists say the exact mechanisms at work still aren’t clear. Light from electronic devices could be affecting teenagers’ body clocks, for example, or there could be less obvious effects, such as the emotional stimulation from chatting with friends.

Screen_Shot_2015-02-02_at_9.31.14_PM.0.p

Researchers surveyed more than 10,000 16-to-19-year-olds from Norway, questioning them about their use of electronics and sleeping habits. Those who used gadgets including MP3 players, video game consoles, tablets, smartphones, and computers for more than five hours a day were three-and-a-half times more likely to sleep for fewer than five hours at night, and 49 percent likelier to need more than an hour to get to sleep.

Previous studies have found a link between the exposure to artificial light and decreases in melatonin, the hormone that controls our body clock.

Teenagers who use smartphones, laptops, and tablets more often than their peers take longer to fall asleep and sleep for less time overall, a new study published in the journal BMJ Open shows. The finding suggests that if teenagers want to sleep better, they should try looking at screens less.

BMJ Open

Abstract

Objectives Adolescents spend increasingly more time on electronic devices, and sleep deficiency rising in adolescents constitutes a major public health concern. The aim of the present study was to investigate daytime screen use and use of electronic devices before bedtime in relation to sleep.

Design

A large cross-sectional population-based survey study from 2012, the youth@hordaland study, in Hordaland County in Norway.

Setting

Cross-sectional general community-based study.

Participants

9846 adolescents from three age cohorts aged 16–19. The main independent variables were type and frequency of electronic devices at bedtime and hours of screen-time during leisure time.

Outcomes

Sleep variables calculated based on self-report including bedtime, rise time, time in bed, sleep duration, sleep onset latency and wake after sleep onset.

Results

Adolescents spent a large amount of time during the day and at bedtime using electronic devices. Daytime and bedtime use of electronic devices were both related to sleep measures, with an increased risk of short sleep duration, long sleep onset latency and increased sleep deficiency. A dose–response relationship emerged between sleep duration and use of electronic devices, exemplified by the association between PC use and risk of less than 5 h of sleep (OR=2.70, 95% CI 2.14 to 3.39), and comparable lower odds for 7–8 h of sleep (OR=1.64, 95% CI 1.38 to 1.96).

Conclusions

Use of electronic devices is frequent in adolescence, during the day as well as at bedtime. The results demonstrate a negative relation between use of technology and sleep, suggesting that recommendations on healthy media use could include restrictions on electronic devices.

source:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/3/7971479/teenagers-computer-screens-sleep-disruption

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/5/1/e006748

Ehm this has been known for ages? It reduces the production of Melatonine if I'm not mistaken. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Seems about right for my sleep...can get as low as 4 hours of sleep some days xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

SLEEP_IS_FOR_THE_WEAK.jpg

There is no sleep, there is only internet. and the battlefield hardline beta

and caffeine, lots and LOTS OF CAFFEINE

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i stay the whole day on my laptop and sleep like 8 hours a day

this is kinda worrying

by these estimates if i dont use my laptop i could be in a coma .....

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I spend 9 hours a day on pc at work

2-3 hours a night on my PC and say an hour or 2 on my phone

I get a minimum of 7-8 hours a night

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

but scientists say the exact mechanisms at work still aren’t clear.

Interesting they say that when there are other studies that tell us why.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I dunno, sometimes my wife will let me game for 8 hours on a Friday night, and as long as my wife leaves me alone the next day I'll sleep a good 12-16 hours.  :D

I get away with that maybe twice a year though...  :(

Joking aside, it does make sense to a degree, but what about the fact that they are more likely to be staying up later because they want to do something on the PC, but still have to wake up at 7 am like everyone else? I could have missed it, but it doesn't seem like they are letting them sleep until they wake up on their own, its just asking how long the slept and ignoring the reason they woke up (e.g. alarm clock to get to work). It could just as well be interpreted as people who use devices with screens are more likely to stay up later.

from age 12-22 falling asleep before aorund 11pm is extremely rare. its hard coded into teenagers.

screen time reduced the producing of this one chemical i cant fkn remember.

seeing as i am perfectly fine on like 4 hours of sleep a day, and i get 12... im not going to stopusing my tech.

pirate metal.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I use to be able to fall asleep pretty easy when I was in high school and college. I try to go to bed around 11pm, but usually don't pass out until 1pm. Sucks because I need to get up at 6am every morning for work. I have even tried blackout drapes, turning the surge protector off so nothing lights up in my room. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Surely everyone knows this already. It affects different people to differing degrees. I am very sensitive to it. For example, if I look at my phone for too long after about 9:30pm I'll usually have a shit night. Conversely, one of my flatmates can stare at his laptop that's as bright as the face of the sun inside a well-lit room until 1:00am and still sleep through.

To figure out if it affects you, install f.lux and don't look at screens for at least an hour before you go to bed. Also limit the lighting around your house if possible. Do this for a week and see how you sleep.

I use my PC from 2-8 hours a day and my sleep averages around 8-12 hours.

What is this.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Computers-the new substitute for coffee.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I could have said that from personal experience. And it's not just teenagers. I sleep less if I go straight from playing games or watching stuff on my PC to going to bed. I need to relax first and watch the news or something. I sleep about 5-8 hours varying. But it might also be my job, highly stressful so when you come back home you need to do something in-between sleeping otherwise you won't get to sleep. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

That's why when I sleep, I turn off everything including the Wi-Fi.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I am on my computer something between 4-12 hours (now even 16 ) a day from when i was 4 years old. I am 23 years old now.

I Can go to ERM Sleep phase in 2 minutes.

I am sleeping 5 hours a day and then 30 minutes after lunch.

I feel good.

It's not always true what researches find out.

These researches were conducted ages ago and are not mistaken.

It's a good practice avoiding screen light before bed, reading a chapter of a book before sodding off is a good way to prevent this.

Well, I don't sleep less and I use my devices a lot for work and studying, especially when I was a teenager...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |