The GTX 980M also has memory issues...

SIGSEGV

If it IS true then it doesn't matter.

Nvidia loyalists will always be here to defend them even if Nvidia burned down their houses.

BUT we don't know if it is true or not so best leave it for now.

Just because the 4GB were a marketing gimmick doesn't give them the right to do that. They could have marketed it as a 3.5 GB card and it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

that is the same thing im saying. i dont think the product will have any less value if it was marketed as 3.5GB + .5GB. 

Considering games are coming out that require upwards of 3.5GB for 1080p already on high or ultra, whether your screen is more than 1080p is irrelevant.

Those are outliers which poorly manage memory and don't use compressed textures.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

As if you could ever run something on a mobile gpu that needs 4GB of vram anyway lol

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

tumblr_mpdkg8gPtd1s752lqo1_250.gif

Stuff like this is pointless to get upset about, does it perform like it should overall?
Yes? Then the memory slow down is nothing to worry about

If no, then go ahead and get all worked up and huffing and puffing about it.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Stuff like this is pointless to get upset about, does it perform like it should overall?

The people that are most upset, are not upset at nVidia.  They are upset at others saying bad things about nVidia.  That actually kind of upsets me :(

:D

The people that are most upset, are not upset at nVidia.  They are upset at others saying bad things about nVidia.  That actually kind of upsets me :(

:D

At this point it seems that people and just nitpicking with Nvidia's issues when they were never a problem in the first place.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

tumblr_mpdkg8gPtd1s752lqo1_250.gif

Of course people get worked up about it, a company lies or at least hides something significant to a product, you can't brush that off. You just can't.

Oh, so people are getting annoyed by this "keep on digging" shit NOW? Not back when it was posted in every fucking thread?

At least I was always annoyed by it. -_-

Of course people get worked up about it, a company lies or at least hides something significant to a product, you can't brush that off. You just can't.

To a point you can if it isn't bothering the hardware mentioned enough that its an issue to your system then just ignore it.

|King Of The Lost|

At this point it seems that people and just nitpicking with Nvidia's issues when they were never a problem in the first place.

This issue is just getting started.  Nvidia just wants it to go away.  There are people that value honesty and when companies do bad things, a lot of those people want to make sure they answer for it.

This is an early stage of discovery, we can only watch (most of us anyways).

980M = laptop peasantry. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

AMD is going to have a field day with this. :) lol

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Which is a very small number of titles unless either 

a. games are modded, like skyrim or GTA 4/5

b. you're running at very high AA settings (which shouldn't be needed on a 15" 1080p screen)

Right now yes, only Dying Light and soon The Witcher 3, but next year every single new game will be like that.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Im just gonna say Nvidia is shit. You know, SOME people still shop by specs, even rops and cahce. They dont look at benchmarks. Non-techies

Careful, your bias is showing. 

-snip-

Edited by colonel_mortis

Careful, your bias is showing. 

It was funny at first but now its been beaten to death. And look at that, this thread is no different to the other one. 

The only thing I see that is the same throughout these threads, is the ill-directed emotional reactions towards other members that don't like what they are hearing about an established tech company.  I personally like the jokes.  I watched the video where Austin lost all his stuff in a fire last year... I never knew.  It was a bad situation for him, but he was still joking around as he walked through the rubble identifying his destroyed tech (where he could).  The jokes are a good thing in many ways.

Stop berating people for venting.  Nvidia is looking like the bad guy here, don't defend it... and don't say the jokes are annoying.  The joking around can be therapeutic.

I'd be very curious how that preforms, if that also messes up after 3.5GB then that would be rather funny.

It wouldn't mess up after 3.5GB. Multiple memory chips would be allocated towards the memory controllers. That being said, depending on how they're allocated, the last 1.5GB or so might "mess up."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If we assume that the 980M has the same issue as the 970, does it actually affect it? Cause the 980M comes to party with 8GB of VRAM. If the packaging is the same, that leaves you with 7GB of "fast" and 1GB of "slow". The 980M (non SLI at least) doesn't have the kind of horsepower to even make use of all that VRAM in the first place, and even in SLI using up 8GB of VRAM?

Good grief. You could run 2 instances of Skyrim with texture mods and still not run out. 

Once again, if Nvidia lied thats a pretty bad thing. No one is really saying it is. But if its not changing the performance of the card anyways? What really happened? Misleading consumers based off specs but not based off performance. The cards intentionally perform that way as they were intentionally gimped from the full GM204 chip to become 970s and 980Ms. Its not like Nvidia went back and ninja nerfed these cards to be worse. 

If we assume that the 980M has the same issue as the 970, does it actually affect it? Cause the 980M comes to party with 8GB of VRAM. If the packaging is the same, that leaves you with 7GB of "fast" and 1GB of "slow". The 980M (non SLI at least) doesn't have the kind of horsepower to even make use of all that VRAM in the first place, and even in SLI using up 8GB of VRAM?

Good grief. You could run 2 instances of Skyrim with texture mods and still not run out. 

Once again, if Nvidia lied thats a pretty bad thing. No one is really saying it is. But if its not changing the performance of the card anyways? What really happened? Misleading consumers based off specs but not based off performance. The cards intentionally perform that way as they were intentionally gimped from the full GM204 chip to become 970s and 980Ms. Its not like Nvidia went back and ninja nerfed these cards to be worse.

Then why have the VRAM there in the first place if it doesn't make a difference?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

LoL SLI GTX 980M. For what do you wanto SLI mobile GPU's?

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

that is the same thing im saying. i dont think the product will have any less value if it was marketed as 3.5GB + .5GB. 

Honestly, I'm not going to buy a Nvidia GPU anytime soon, because of things like this and them developing so much closed stuff (gsync, gameworks, etc). At least AMD tries to be open with their stuff.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Then why have the VRAM there in the first place if it doesn't make a difference?

Bigger numbers look better, same reason companies double the memory on low-end cards even though they can use it all. That said in SLI a 980m can probably use 4GB so 8GB is the next option for them.