The GTX 980M also has memory issues...

SIGSEGV

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?  Nvidia lied, there is no way they did not know that the specs were fudged.

I have no problem buying nVidia in light of this fact... I would just research more before buying their cards down the road.

Wow.

Nvidia got some 'splainin to do

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It was never really an issue though. Just an architecture decision. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

It was never really an issue though. Just an architecture decision. 

The architecture of the card is not a problem.  The architecture of their decision to lie about those ROP and L2 numbers on THEIR released specification sheets is an issue... the ONLY issue.

:)

You do realise this "benchmark" is complete shit... right...? The reason why the performance drops is due to the fact you are transfering so much data that other parts of the card become the bottleneck, not the VRAM. If you ran the same test on an AMD card, you would get very similar results. I'd like to note you can't run this current test on AMD GPUs because this current rest relies on CUDA and you would have to write the same thing in OpenCL in order to do so.

Umm, duh? We know that all 4GB of vram. It's obvious that there's a bottleneck elsewhere in the card, what do we think we're displeased about?

And no, this doesn't happen on the AMD cards, not even most other nvidia cards like the 980.  I noticed this problem when I bought my 970 without this test even, it's quite easy to replicate. Open unity or something, some game engine of some kind, and make your own stress test and watch what happens once you pass 3.2GB. Swaps are almost faster than using the vram at that point. 

So far AMD has not been caught lying about their specs like NVIDIA has. The 970 does not have 64 ROPs. Has 56 I think. They lied about the L2 cache too. So do know what you are talking about before treating us like idiots. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

They already have, there are 2 in the MSI GT80 Titan

Also "only" the last 1GB would be slow, the other 7GB is still full speed

I don't know then, all is possible.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I will still buy it. 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

so what does this mean for the 8gb 980m's out there?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

so what does this mean for the 8gb 980m's out there?

It means that the 980m might have trouble accessing some of it's RAM while keeping a high level of performance.  So 4+4 really equals 3.5+3.5.  It is still relatively early, just keep watching.

The architecture of the card is not a problem.  The architecture of their decision to lie about those ROP and L2 numbers on THEIR released specification sheets is an issue... the ONLY issue.

:)

We still don't know that they lied. And to be honest the card is still really good by all accounts. 3.5GB is pretty good. I have a 680 4GB and I have only maxed out the memory in one game and that was because of a bug in Arma 3. I can't imagine anyone ever getting past 3.5GB in any realistic scenario because the performance would drop off before you got there. But yes you are right the mistake/lie whatever it is shouldn't of happened. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

2x4GB != 8GB 

they are not talking SLI if that's what you are getting at, there are 8GB 980ms. There's always been higher vram laptop GPUs for some reason. Mostly a marketing gimmick is what I'm told. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

That's weird since there is an 8gb variant of the 980M... I call bs.

I'm pretty sure thats only the SLI one which would make it 4GB per card 

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

I'm pretty sure thats only the SLI one which would make it 4GB per card 

Actually no, it's legitimately an 8gb version afaik.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

VRAM is just a number.

I wouldn't agree with that.

Actually no, it's legitimately an 8gb version afaik.

Yup I just googled it, that seems super overkill though for a laptop?

We still don't know that they lied. And to be honest the card is still really good by all accounts. 3.5GB is pretty good. I have a 680 4GB and I have only maxed out the memory in one game and that was because of a bug in Arma 3. I can't imagine anyone ever getting past 3.5GB in any realistic scenario because the performance would drop off before you got there. But yes you are right the mistake/lie whatever it is shouldn't of happened. 

It was really lie, but you know... people should not cry about it... but they sure as hell should not forget.  I understand the argument that "they just did not know".  It is not realistic.  When they punch in numbers on the spec sheets, who do you think they ask?  the marketing guys?  No, they get those numbers from people that KNOW the numbers.  They lied. 

I am just not phased by this.  I don't get emotional because the demi-gods of GPUs lied.  I believe you are similar.

Not that many 980M-equipped laptops have a >1080p panel, so not anywhere near as big of an issue as 970 on desktop

And besides, it's not even proven. They're assuming that the 980M will have these problems as it's a cut-down GM204 like the 970.

Considering games are coming out that require upwards of 3.5GB for 1080p already on high or ultra, whether your screen is more than 1080p is irrelevant.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I don't think people are understanding this correctly. Even if these cards have a memory bandwidth problem on the last 500mb of VRAM, it was basically useless any way from the beginning. To utilize that last 4 GB you have to run games at such high resolution and texture quality the actual GPU can't even keep up. So then you have to turn down the settings or resolution. Then you don't use more than 3.5gb of VRAM. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like how it was kept a secret but am I going to never buy Nvidia? No. These things happen all the time. That doesn't mean the company is bad. Just my thoughts.

Just because the 4GB were a marketing gimmick doesn't give them the right to do that. They could have marketed it as a 3.5 GB card and it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Considering games are coming out that require upwards of 3.5GB for 1080p already on high or ultra, whether your screen is more than 1080p is irrelevant.

Which is a very small number of titles unless either 

a. games are modded, like skyrim or GTA 4/5

b. you're running at very high AA settings (which shouldn't be needed on a 15" 1080p screen)

"Rawr XD"

Yup I just googled it, that seems super overkill though for a laptop?

Mobile GPUs do this all the time, they make the cost of them insane (eg. $1000 for replacement X80 card), so extra Vram isn't a huge price difference.