The GTX 980M also has memory issues...

SIGSEGV

LOL, good luck on getting the mobile chip to use 3.5 in any game ever anyway. to put it to more extreme, imagine a  gt410 with 8 gigs of ram. it doesnt matter if the 7.5 gigs of vram where slow anyway. 

http://tech4gamers.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-also-memory-problem/

If this is true then NVIDIA is just digging an even bigger hole...

They just have AMD more "Fixer" materia 

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Next thing we know, the Titan II will only be able to use 8GB of its total 12GB.....

Wow Nvidia

Keep it up!

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

They just have AMD more "Fixer" materia

What if AMD is paying Nvidia employees to make the company look bad? Sp(0.o)ky

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

LOL, good luck on getting the mobile chip to use 3.5 in any game ever anyway. to put it to more extreme, imagine a gt410 with 8 gigs of ram. it doesnt matter if the 7.5 gigs of vram where slow anyway.

You're comparing a GT410 with 8GB of VRAM to a 980M with 8GB?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

what are you talking about:D?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

AMD doesn't have the funds.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Honestly, I'm not going to buy a Nvidia GPU anytime soon, because of things like this and them developing so much closed stuff (gsync, gameworks, etc). At least AMD tries to be open with their stuff.

those two companies have different philosophies. 

Next thing we know, the Titan II will only be able to use 8GB of its total 12GB.....

Wow Nvidia

Keep it up!

Can't happen. The reason why it happens is because of the disabled hardware on the 970.

I wouldn't agree with that.

It's an old joke...

what are you talking about:D?

Just trying to lighten up this thread a little lol, too many angrys fanboys (talking about both team red and green)

Just trying to lighten up this thread a little lol, too much fanboy wars

I am no fanboy:)

I got 970's, But I am pissed off, And I hope Nvidia will release somekind of update to fix this issue, 

You're comparing a GT410 with 8GB of VRAM to a 980M with 8GB?

it was a extreme example. the actual core cant keep up with anything that would use that much vram anyway. 

They talked about it on the wan show about the 970, that by the time the game used 3.5gigs of vram it was unplayably slow anyway. 

that being said, I still think its false advertising and BS. 

I am no fanboy:)

I got 970's, But I am pissed off, And I hope Nvidia will release somekind of update to fix this issue,

Yeah, not everyone here is a fanboy, but there are quite a few, I have a 9600gt atm but when I upgrade I might go with an AMD R7 250X 2GB rather than the 650Ti after all this

Oh, you misunderstand. They like the whole "keep on digging" when its about companies they don't adore. As soon as it comes to something like nvidia its childish and everyone should just forget about the things they've done because bringing them up is just spam. Now lets go to the nearest amd thread and make the "it'll heat your home" joke to really really savor in the hypocrisy.

I've actually been telling people to stop using it. It's overused and the joke is no longer funny much like the PC master race joke.

To this thread in general:

Really?  people are not defending Nvidia,  For the love of all things good, read what people are saying and stop making assumptions about their intent. 

Hang shit on Nvidia for what they did, enjoy a joke about their lack of "communication",  even say you prefer AMD, that's fine, that's acceptable and that's personal opinion that everyone has the right to voice.

BUT, don't go making shit up to support your opinion, some people on these forums believe everything they read.  Don't go trying to insinuate that only Nvidia do this, don't go trying to insinuate that it was intentional until you have evidence to support it and don't go making out that you understand the internal workings of the GPU better than Nvidia does.  For god's sakes you don't know how immature you look when you make blanket statements about the inner functioning of the card that several, significantly more experienced people have already said otherwise.

We know how Nvidia products perform along side AMD products, we have some very thorough benchmarks detailing this,  no body needs to make up stuff, simply refer to the reviews.

Right now when ever there is an nvidia thread we seem to be getting the same few people spamming with the same posts making the same insinuations and complaints, we get it, we know how you feel. but stick to the facts and stick to the topic.  And don;t get but hurt when someone has finally had enough of your constant drivel and calls you out on it.

/rant

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't think people are understanding this correctly. Even if these cards have a memory bandwidth problem on the last 500mb of VRAM, it was basically useless any way from the beginning. To utilize that last 4 GB you have to run games at such high resolution and texture quality the actual GPU can't even keep up. So then you have to turn down the settings or resolution. Then you don't use more than 3.5gb of VRAM. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like how it was kept a secret but am I going to never buy Nvidia? No. These things happen all the time. That doesn't mean the company is bad. Just my thoughts.

This was said countless times in other threads, but people ignore it because the cool thing to do right now is to hate on Nvidia. No idea what the issue is.

Really?  people are not defending Nvidia,  For the love of all things good, read what people are saying and stop making assumptions about their intent. 

Hang shit on Nvidia for what they did, enjoy a joke about their lack of "communication",  even say you prefer AMD, that's fine, that's acceptable and that's personal opinion that everyone has the right to voice.

BUT, don't go making shit up to support your opinion, some people on these forums believe everything they read.  Don't go trying to insinuate that only Nvidia do this, don't go trying to insinuate that it was intentional until you have evidence to support it and don't go making out that you understand the internal workings of the GPU better than Nvidia does.  For god's sakes you don't know how immature you look when you make blanket statements about the inner functioning of the card that several, significantly more experienced people have already said otherwise.

We know how Nvidia products perform along side AMD products, we have some very thorough benchmarks detailing this,  no body needs to make up stuff, simply refer to the reviews.

Right now when ever there is an nvidia thread we seem to be getting the same few people spamming with the same posts making the same insinuations and complaints, we get it, we know how you feel. but stick to the facts and stick to the topic.  And don;t get but hurt when someone has finally had enough of your constant drivel and calls you out on it.

/rant

Who are you talking to?

This does not affect me. How much does a laptop with dual 980m cost? I saw one a CES 15 and I would go for the 980m 8GB version.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Who are you talking to?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

:( Why?

Because I'd like to discuss the technology specifically, not the shit people make up because they hate a company. 

Because I'd like to discuss the technology specifically, not the shit people make up because they hate a company. 

Well, then... discuss the tech and not whether or not people are making stuff up.  ;)