Perfectly Functional GTX 970 Cards Being Returned Over Memory Controversy

qwertywarrior

They don't provide any numbers though, so this could just aswell be clickbaiting or exaggerating.

For example, I sent mine back because of a broken display port. They say it's fine, does that add up to the equation?

It could be the fastest card ever made and cost $1, I still am not OK with being lied to. If people want to return it because of that, I'm fine with it.

This.

All of this. 

People keep saying its not a big deal and its fine cause the card preforms well enough, trying to completely ignore the shady bullshit they tried to pull.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

While it's still a great card, they still lied about the ROP count and the L2 cache size (The VRAM is physically there, just the last 0.5GB is slow)

I can understand the anger of those that returned it

The ROP count and L2 cache is still there, too, except they're disabled. This is why GPU-Z still shows the ROPs. They're there, but GPU-Z doesn't see they're inactive.

Those who are angered and are returning the cards do it simply because they expect something out of it. Not because the card is terrible, not because of false advertising, but because they expect something for free, one way or another.

I wouldn't doubt that some of the intentions are to double dip. Users buy the card and get a free game offered as a promo, then are returning it and keeping the game to buy an R9 290X with a similar promo.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

This.

All of this. 

People keep saying its not a big deal and its fine cause the card preforms well enough, trying to completely ignore the shady bullshit they tried to pull.

Sorry that people aren't getting their panties in a bunch over what a GPU maker did to violate my freedoms. 

Don't mistake our apathy for not caring. We don't like that Nvidia lied. We do like that the card performs well. A grownup could rationalize the two viewpoints at the same time and not get into childish fits about it.

Theres way more important stuff in a lot of our lives than what Nvidia just did. If it bothers people so much, shut up, return your cards, don't buy from Nvidia again. Stop talking about it and do something. The hallmark problem of the internet age. Lots of yapping, not a lot of doing. 

The ROP count and L2 cache is still there, too, except they're disabled. This is why GPU-Z still shows the ROPs. They're there, but GPU-Z doesn't see they're inactive.

Which is practically the same as it not being there and if this is their reasoning then it's 100% bullshit.

They don't advertise 2048 cuda cores either but 1664 instead, they are there but just disabled.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Time to check craigslist.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

We have consumer protection laws for a reason. They're written in blood. We shouldn't dismiss them so lightly because people disagree with this case.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The thing is it would probably have sold pretty good @ 300 USD still even if it only had 3.5 gb of vram from the get go.

Sorry that people aren't getting their panties in a bunch over what a GPU maker did to violate my freedoms. 

Don't mistake our apathy for not caring. We don't like that Nvidia lied. We do like that the card performs well. A grownup could rationalize the two viewpoints at the same time and not get into childish fits about it.

Theres way more important stuff in a lot of our lives than what Nvidia just did. If it bothers people so much, shut up, return your cards, don't buy from Nvidia again. Stop talking about it and do something. The hallmark problem of the internet age. Lots of yapping, not a lot of doing. 

Right, real grownups dont care about this and anyone showing concern is an immature child.

Got it. Kindly take your pompous ass elsewhere :(

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I would like to see the numbers of people who returned the card for that specific reason, I somehow doubt there are that many

I would still buy the GTX 970 since it still performs well and that has been proven. All I am doing use using 1080p and its not like the RAM on that GPU will max out at 3.5GB at that resolution. I am only using a 2GB card and only used 1.5GB max on every game I played. Don't know why people are freaking out so bad. It happens that different divisions in companies don't talk to each other about everything, seen it happen in the Electrical field here and there where a company changes something in a division for a product and doesn't tell anyone else and people expect that product to work with their other products.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

My take on this;

bw1qsnnsygnz6fiqtf9v.jpg

Consumers that are well within their right choose to return a product on the merit that the company wasn't completely honest about the product. And you call that sheep? Are you purposefully stupid or did you never learn what those fandangled internet words actually mean?

IM providing an example.

If that happened to my card i would return it.

Plain and simple.

Its an hypothetical scenario.

Yes but it has no relation, I mean. This card is 4gb. It's useless to keep repeating that...

Right, real grownups dont care about this and anyone showing concern is an immature child.

Got it. Kindly take your pompous ass elsewhere :(

Wow, where did you get "grown ups don't care"? 

I said, grown ups can reconcile two viewpoints. They can be upset on one aspect, happy with the other. Life isn't black and white, its infinite shades of grey. A 970 owner could be angry that they don't have the card that was advertised but they can be satisfied that the card still performs like a champ. So what are they going to do? They'll do nothing, since getting angry about it and trying to get rid of the card doesn't outweigh the benefits of keeping it, for most owners. Some owners might be the opposite, and find that returning it is better. 

Kindly learn some reading comprehension and critical thinking, and we can continue this discussion. 

Well this certainly gives people the opportunity to go the freesync route with an R9 290 and pocket the $100-150 cash money for another day.

My take on this;

bw1qsnnsygnz6fiqtf9v.jpg

Sheep in front only have 3.5gb VRAM on them, but sheep at the back have 4gb.

Very good visual interpretation :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Maybe the price of the cards will drop.

I'm hoping that too , but feel there are that many who are perfectly willing to accept the card is just as good as it was only now it is advertised with different numbers and so the second hand market for U.I.B 970s will be very hot and so the cards will not be that cheap.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

3.5GB of VRAM is still plenty for people who don't care about their resolution and framerate e-peen. 

Nvidia didn't lie about the VRAM - it's there on the card. 0.5GB of it being slower isn't a dealbreaker. The only time you'd ever need more than 3GB is for 4K gaming and multi-monitor, which is a pretty niche area within the gaming community.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2