Perfectly Functional GTX 970 Cards Being Returned Over Memory Controversy

qwertywarrior

So does this mean the 970 owners will stop giving me shit for buying a 980?

You bought a 980 what a **** :P .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

You bought a 980 what a **** :P .

I need a good cry now. :(

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I was going to return mine, but I just really couldn't be arsed to. I opened up an RMA but canceled it shortly afterward as while the 970 has this issue, I still think it is a powerful care for the price, that and also I couldn't do without my computer for a few days as I need it for college work.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I was going to return mine, but I just really couldn't be arsed to. I opened up an RMA but canceled it shortly afterward as while the 970 has this issue, I still think it is a powerful care for the price, that and also I couldn't do without my computer for a few days as I need it for college work.

I'm lucky in that regard, I've still got my GTX 650ti which does ok at 1080p.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A lot of what I do is very dependent on CUDA performance, so the extra cuda cored were a driving factor. You would be surprised how many people got on my case for buying a 980 over the 970.

To the point at hand, if any 970 owners feel cheated because of the misrepresentation of the ROPs and L2 cache, they should be able to return their cards if they wish.

The memory partition however I see as different, the performance of the card has not changed since everyone initially saw benchmarks and there is 4GB of VRAM on the card, so IMHO there is no leg to stand on with that issue.

They do. No one can predict the future of how much VRAM games will use at 1080p and 1440p. During the Crysis and Far Cry 2 days, 1.5 GB of VRAM was enough for 1080p. Today we have games like Dying Light, modded Skyrim and Shadow of Modor with use up to 3 GB at 1080p. What would have happened when that one game that might come that requires more than 3.5 GB of VRAM?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

So does this mean the 970 owners will stop giving me shit for buying a 980?

Who the hell would give you shit for buying a 980? It's equivalent or sometimes better than the 780Ti and ~$200 cheaper.  What's even more amazing is that it achieves this on a 256-bit bus and only 2048 CUDA cores. If 970 owners give you shit smack em in the head.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I need a good cry now. :(

If the social pressure of owning an expensive video card is to much you could just give me the 980 ;)

RTX2070OC 

What's even more amazing is that it achieves this on a 256-bit bus and only 2048 CUDA cores. If 970 owners give you shit smack em in the head.

Which is why I find it so weird how (nearly) noone simultaniously (next to despising them for their advertisement of said card) applauds nvidia for making the 970 do it's thing on 1664 cores and a 224bit bus. It is, from a technical standpoint, pretty damn impressive. 

If the social pressure of owning an expensive video card is to much you could just give me the 980 ;)

If it becomes overwhelming you will be the first one I contact ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro