Perfectly Functional GTX 970 Cards Being Returned Over Memory Controversy

qwertywarrior

Ubisoft did nothing different than what other companies do: showcase their E3 demos on much higher end systems; both Sony and Microsoft did it with consoles too. The reality is that they probably had to reduce the graphic fidelity to meet the resolution and framerate targets on average or above average PCs. Enthusiasts with GTX 770s or above should have a smooth gaming experience with it, for people who don't care about "zomg must have 4K at 60FPS or game is shit". 

If you really want to send a message, a large group of gamers will have to boycott gaming companies entirely. That won't happen. Gaming companies will keep going even if a small fraction of players boycott the company. 

They removed effects of the game.

And then named the files for example E3 rain and tucked them away in the games code.

Google the worse MOD.

Most hardware owners dont care about morality.

If i told them their card is made thought child labor and that baby seals were sacrificed to satan in order to make it.

They would NOT care.

Its sad we are like this ;(

And i have made my new SIG.

Do you honestly think hardware companies are unique in that regard? Fun fact, all of your clothes and shoes, everything you possess, is most likely the result of child labour or some form of exploitation. 

North Americans will be up in arms if everything you owned was produced in North America. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Not really , as i mentioned before.

If my 270x had 1.5 GB of VRAM i would not be able to run a SINGLE game from this year.

Lol my 550ti had 1GB and it runs shit fine

Lol my 550ti had 1GB and it runs shit fine

Ok, so we have entire threads on this forum arguing that for 1080p gaming 3gb of VRAM is enough but...ah..1gb..is a little outdated even for 1080p

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Ok, so we have entire threads on this forum arguing that for 1080p gaming 3gb of VRAM is enough but...ah..1gb..is a little outdated even for 1080p

Maybe for Skyrim with texture mods, but even then 2GB was enough, my GTX 650ti plays it just as well as my GTX 970 (both hit the enforced FPS limit with ease.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Meh, I have to side with the people returning their cards. While most will agree that 4GB will not be fully used, I'd much rather have something that fully works at the advertised speed. Imagine if SSDs, HDD, RAM, and/or your Internet showed the same scenario? I would definitely look at an alternative if that was the case.

They can't be perfectly functional if they are broken by design.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Idiot, it already only has 1.6 ish. Where do you think driver info and required system stuff is stored? There's about 430MB now on any big card that's used exclusively for non-game info.

My R9 280x sits at 60-150 Mb when not gaming or viewing videos.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

I play games at 1440x900 and if had 1 GB i wouldnt be able to play dying light since that POS uses 1.9 VRAM.

They can't be perfectly functional if they are broken by design.

I'll put it this way, since a GTX 970 can be overclocked to match a GTX 970 in raw performance, Nvidia had to limit them in some way to make their more expensive product viable.

PMSL

My R9 280x sits at 60-150 Mb when not gaming or viewing videos.

I've found that when Windows 7 is set to performance mode and the classic theme, it uses less than 60MB of vRAM.

PMSL

I've found that when Windows 7 is set to performance mode and the classic theme, it uses less than 60MB of vRAM.

Windows 8.1 with 0 shenanigans.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Why would anybody use aero?

It eats up resouces.

If i had double xeon i would still use windows classic lol.

Why would anybody use aero?

It eats up resouces.

If i had double xeon i would still use windows classic lol.

Aero is more for the 'looks', and when your forced to use the iGPU, the less vRAM the better (though I've hear reports that Windows 8 uses more with metro, but I never saw how that was possible).

PMSL

Hello! Victorious Secret here once again to remind you that I think i'm better than you all! I have no further input, I just wanted to let you know how low you all really are when compared to me!

Honestly I think you're just mad that you were compared to the people you refer to as "peasants."

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Aero is more for the 'looks', and when your forced to use the iGPU, the less vRAM the better (though I've hear reports that Windows 8 uses more with metro, but I never saw how that was possible).

Pardon my french but screw the looks.

I want performance \m/

I wouldn't return my asus GTX 970 its a beast(got mine overclocked to 1.4ghz lol)  runs my games at 2560x1080 resolution fine with loads of vram left over 

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

Pardon my french but screw the looks.

I want performance \m/

Put it this way, if I had a IDE SSD (or 1.5GB of DDR), I'd have Windows 7 installed on my 1999 P3 desktop, because its got the graphics horsepower to run any Win7 theme.

PMSL

I wouldn't return my asus GTX 970 its a beast(got mine overclocked to 1.4ghz lol)  runs my games at 2560x1080 resolution fine with loads of vram left over 

Your ASUS GTX 970 runs at 1.4GHz stable whilst my Gigabyte G1 Gaming struggles to run stable at its factory overclock? Dafaq?

PMSL

Honestly, I find this all very good.

Nvidia has the majority market share in the dedicated card sector and it feels like with the 700 and 900 series that they were playing it rather safe.

If AMD really knocks it out with the R9 300 series and takes some money away from Nvidia this should, hopefully, light a fire under Nvidia to start pushing the things forward again.

I honestly don't see the problem. Because everyone was onboard with the card because of what the hard proof of performance was meaning they saw the benchmarks they saw the in game performance and the 970 was praised as one of the best if not the best card out there. Then all of a sudden .5gb of memory cant be used that sucks but everyone knows they will fix it soon with driver updates. Then all of a sudden some stats on paper were found to be wrong and all of a sudden the card is the worst one in existence when it still obviously out performs just about anything its put head to head against just the same as it did at launch. So where is the real problem????

I could understand if they said one thing before launch and advertised X performance but it actually got Y in game but the X performance that was shown during their marketing campaigns is still there why all the fuss honestly? And no this is not just because its Nvidia that im saying this I am saying this for any product. Hell it was all of the consumers that were praising this card to be the best of the best.

I'll put it this way, since a GTX 970 can be overclocked to match a GTX 970 in raw performance, Nvidia had to limit them in some way to make their more expensive product viable.

yeah i have waterblock on mine, it overclocks like a freaking monster. absolutely love it right now.

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

I honestly don't see the problem. Because everyone was onboard with the card because of what the hard proof of performance was meaning they saw the benchmarks they saw the in game performance and the 970 was praised as one of the best if not the best card out there. Then all of a sudden .5gb of memory cant be used that sucks but everyone knows they will fix it soon with driver updates. Then all of a sudden some stats on paper were found to be wrong and all of a sudden the card is the worst one in existence when it still obviously out performs just about anything its put head to head against just the same as it did at launch. So where is the real problem????

I could understand if they said one thing before launch and advertised X performance but it actually got Y in game but the X performance that was shown during their marketing campaigns is still there why all the fuss honestly? And no this is not just because its Nvidia that im saying this I am saying this for any product. Hell it was all of the consumers that were praising this card to be the best of the best.

Most people have a moral issue with this.

The performance is the same.

Honestly I think you're just mad that you were compared to the people you refer to as "peasants."

Yah man, i'm really really upset. 

Or, maybe he's just being a dick and doing nothing but trying to belittle anyone who doesnt agree with him?

Idk, you're right, that seems unlikely. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015