Perfectly Functional GTX 970 Cards Being Returned Over Memory Controversy

qwertywarrior

You have no clue what you're talking about, please stop while you're ahead.

It's one thing to be opinionated, but it's another to talk of issues you can't comprehend.

I'm not saying they should continue to advertise it like that, and considering I understand the business side of things a bit more than most of these "boycotters," I only hope NVIDIA, like nearly every other company in existence, gets a better grip on how well the departments interact with each other. For the engineers at NVIDIA to not be able to communicate vital information like a partially disabled ROP/memory controller to the technical marketing/PR, it's embarrassing, quite frankly.

I'll also be sure to accuse board members of being liars that should have known better before they posted, because this board should not tolerate shady opinions and human imperfection! Hail Gaben!

I meant GPU Z , it was a typo now calm down.

Name calling i like it.

Yes but all the ram in my card is equally fast.

The 0.5GB section isn't slow, it's the connection to it that is. -_-

Tomato tomato.

Thats what makes it be slower.

Its a lower priority memory AFAIk.

And how often does it get accessed? Rarely if ever. So boohoo.

I'm just saying I won't support a company that does this kind of stuff to its customers.

How is that so insanely hard to understand? I find it very difficult to understand how anyone can simply be "meh" about something so shady just because the performance is pretty good.

You are perfectly entitled to take the "I won't support.." attitude.  It's not hard to understand at all.

I feel people are not arguingchattering about whether or not NVIDIA lied/were economical with the truth they are arguing about whether it matters that NVIDIA lied/were economical with the truth.

Sometimes taking the moral high ground costs, sometimes that cost is not worth the benefits TO THE INDIVIDUAL..

Whether you feel it matters NVIDIA lied/were economical with the truth and are a 'bunch of $%^£*', is really niether here nor there, either use them or do without it is as simple as that.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

No way I'm returning my reference 970. I love this thing and it blows my old 550 ti out of the water.  :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

It would be a bigger deal with a smaller memory size.

Was just saying that.

*facepalm* No, that's not what you were just saying.

Not really , as i mentioned before.

If my 270x had 1.5 GB of VRAM i would not be able to run a SINGLE game from this year.

Then you didnt understand my example.

Moving on...

No I did, you're just wrong and creating a bad example to complain about something.

Ah yes, all those 1 year old assembly line robots.  Ya know those machines don't even get bathroom breaks, and when they get their oil changed it's not even with good synthetic greases.

The fanboys, and share holders, are real.

on a related note.  Intel does go the extra mile to assure that the raw materials they use in the manufacturing of their products are sourced from responsible people/mines.

Edit source(s) should have been posted originally (my bad)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/corporate-responsibility/conflict-free-minerals.html

http://www.amd.com/en-us/who-we-are/corporate-responsibility/supplier/conflict-minerals

Most hardware owners dont care about morality.

If i told them their card is made thought child labor and that baby seals were sacrificed to satan in order to make it.

They would NOT care.

Its sad we are like this ;(

And i have made my new SIG.

So a seal walks into a club...

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

So, people are in a huff over what is admitedly an over sight from Nvidia, but was noticeable if you actually looked at the way the GTX 970 is built, there is no way it could have had Cuda cores disabled without affecting the card design in general.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

In the UK, it's written into consumer law, if an item is "not as described" you are entitled to a refund, also technically it's not limited to the normal 12 Months consumer contract...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

In the UK, it's written into consumer law, if an item is "not as described" you are entitled to a refund, also technically it's not limited to the normal 12 Months consumer contract...

In most EU courts this would even fly as false advertisement.

Dunno about the USA.

So a seal walks into a club...

Well seeing how polar bears are having a hard time now and some seal populations are out of control...  Club a seal, save a bear may just be a welcome thing. 

Error 404 : Punchline not found.

It is the punchline ;)

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Its funny, members of this forum cry PCMR and decry how filthy the console peasants are; yet look at all the misinformation and bickering going on here.

You Nvidia v. AMD types are just as pathetic as the XBO v. PS4 types. 

Its funny, members of this forum cry PCMR and decry how filthy the console peasants are; yet look at all the misinformation and bickering going on here.

You Nvidia v. AMD types are just as pathetic as the XBO v. PS4 types. 

Hello! Victorious Secret here once again to remind you that I think i'm better than you all! I have no further input, I just wanted to let you know how low you all really are when compared to me!

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

In most EU courts this would even fly as false advertisement.

Dunno about the USA.

There is indeed a case for that due incorrect quoting of the L2 cache and SMs in the specification, the memory issue they could get away with because there is physically 4Gb soldered to the PCB, I do Feel sorry for Nvidia as everyone has jumped on the bandwagon, but its a bit like a car manufacture selling a V8 and later saying, sorry we made an error its actually a V6, so it could be a big deal for them if someone pushed for false advertising... 

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Although this sort of mass return is a bit much. Customers should have every right for compensation when the product they bought isn't the same as the product they paid for. 

I absolutely love my GTX 970, would love to get another one for sli. 

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

Im just gonna ask one thing here .

Where you okay when ubisoft lied about watch dogs at E3?

Did you support them then like this?

Not saying im sure i know nvidia lied but still i would like an answer.

Ubisoft did nothing different than what other companies do: showcase their E3 demos on much higher end systems; both Sony and Microsoft did it with consoles too. The reality is that they probably had to reduce the graphic fidelity to meet the resolution and framerate targets on average or above average PCs. Enthusiasts with GTX 770s or above should have a smooth gaming experience with it, for people who don't care about "zomg must have 4K at 60FPS or game is shit". 

If you really want to send a message, a large group of gamers will have to boycott gaming companies entirely. That won't happen. Gaming companies will keep going even if a small fraction of players boycott the company. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2