Perfectly Functional GTX 970 Cards Being Returned Over Memory Controversy

qwertywarrior

Wow, where did you get "grown ups don't care"? 

I said, grown ups can reconcile two viewpoints. They can be upset on one aspect, happy with the other. Life isn't black and white, its infinite shades of grey. A 970 owner could be angry that they don't have the card that was advertised but they can be satisfied that the card still performs like a champ. So what are they going to do? They'll do nothing, since getting angry about it and trying to get rid of the card doesn't outweigh the benefits of keeping it, for most owners. Some owners might be the opposite, and find that returning it is better. 

Kindly learn some reading comprehension and critical thinking, and we can continue this discussion. 

Hello! My name is Victorious Secret and in basically every post i make I try to belittle and insult the person behind the other keyboard! Presumably because i'm insecure or something!

A grown up would also be able to actually take the moral high ground and rationalize that maybe we should actually punish nvidia for the bullshit they attempted. Just because the card performs well (and nobody is arguing it doesnt) dosn't mean I'm going to bow my head and just allow them to say sorry and keep giving them my money. I would personally return the 970 out of pure moral standing because, as a grown up mind you, I have the ability to choose what I would consider the moral high ground and speak with my wallet. You seem to be under the idea that everyone should ignore the fact that this happened and if you dont like it then just quietly return the card.

I will not support a company, regardless of red or green, that actively lies to me for the sake of marketing. 

That is a moral ground. One that any rational grown up can take.

If you're fine with what they did or you couldnt give less of a damn then keep your card and give them your money. Thats fine. But don't come in here with your "holier than thou" attitude saying that anyone who voices concern or returns the card is childish just because the card performs fine. because "since getting angry about it and trying to get rid of the card doesn't outweigh the benefits of keeping it" doesnt actually fly with everyone just because you think it.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

If they want to return the cards, let them its their right as buyers to return anything. The only people getting mad over this are nvidia fanboys.

Im just gonna ask one thing here .

Where you okay when ubisoft lied about watch dogs at E3?

Did you support them then like this?

Not saying im sure i know nvidia lied but still i would like an answer.

Consumers that are well within their right choose to return a product on the merit that the company wasn't completely honest about the product. And you call that sheep? Are you purposefully stupid or did you never learn what those fandangled internet words actually mean?

I'm saying with a pretty high certainty that they're acting on impulses and are guided by public opinion/moral reasons more than they are by reasoning.

If they want to return the cards, let them its their right as buyers to return anything. The only people getting mad over this are nvidia fanboys.

Who said they can't return them? They can, and I'm saying if you feel that strongly you absolutely should return the card and get something else. 

Retailers will take returns. GPU partners might setup programs with retailers to accept stock back. But Nvidia themselves are on the sidelines as far as dealing with compensation (for now). Maybe they'll offer a few games or maybe gift cards or maybe they'll authorize those things through their board partners. No one knows. 

If you're within 14 or 30 days, return. If not, sell or just wait and see what happens. 

I'm saying with a pretty high certainty that they're acting on impulses and are guided by public opinion/moral reasons more than they are by reasoning.

Are you against their right of return their card?

Maybe some people didnt want to support nvidia after this.

Im fine with that.

You will get cheap open box 970s now so dont complain :D

The cards will find a new home anyways.

Nothing is wasted

I would personally return the 970 out of pure moral standing 

What if there is no realistic alternative (980 is a bit dear, R9 270s are a bit of a space heater/noisy[and now over a year old]), is taking the moral high ground there not 'cutting your nose off to spite your face'?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

What if there is no realistic alternative (980 is a bit dear, Radeon [i believe] cards are a bit of a space heater/noisy), is taking the moral high ground there not 'cutting your nose off to spite your face'?

I'm just saying I won't support a company that does this kind of stuff to its customers.

How is that so insanely hard to understand? I find it very difficult to understand how anyone can simply be "meh" about something so shady just because the performance is pretty good.

"we actively lied to you for the sake of marketing and you caught us...oops, sorry i guess."

"well I guess i'll keep giving these people who just admitted to lying to our face money, I'm ok with this"

It just doenst click for me.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I'm just saying I won't support a company that does this kind of stuff to its customers.

How is that so insanely hard to understand? I find it very difficult to understand how anyone can simply be "meh" about something so shady just because the performance is pretty good.

Most hardware owners dont care about morality.

If i told them their card is made thought child labor and that baby seals were sacrificed to satan in order to make it.

They would NOT care.

Its sad we are like this ;(

And i have made my new SIG.

I can understand if people want to return the card because they have been lied to. Doing what you can to not support such behaviour is the only way to punish those involved and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Wow... 
If I were them I would have just kept mine but hey, at least that means more cheap 970s on ebay

Life.exe is missing

Most hardware owners dont care about morality.

If i told them their card is made thought child labor and that baby seals were sacrificed to satan in order to make it.

They would NOT care.

Its sad we are like this ;(

We don't. Most of what we own electronics wise was made that way. So either throw away your entire PC or get with the program of life. 

Me? I really don't give a shit that at least half of my tech was made in slave labour conditions over in China. Someones going do it, its sure as hell not going to be me. If people were that moral, you wouldn't even buy PC components knowing how some of this stuff gets made. 

Which is practically the same as it not being there and if this is their reasoning then it's 100% bullshit.

They don't advertise 2048 cuda cores either but 1664 instead, they are there but just disabled.

I mean, the R9 295X2 and GTX Titan Z are both advertised as having twice as much memory as what's actually usable, and nobody tries to boycott either company for that.

I'm simply saying, it was an easy mistake to make. Given the general mentality of the users on this board and elsewhere, I honestly feel like I'm going to have to call out every person who makes even the simplest mistake, because they should have known better when they posted.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

We don't. Most of what we own electronics wise was made that way. So either throw away your entire PC or get with the program of life. 

Me? I really don't give a shit that at least half of my tech was made in slave labour conditions over in China. Someones going do it, its sure as hell not going to be me. If people were that moral, you wouldn't even buy PC components knowing how some of this stuff gets made. 

Victorious Secrect supports the killing of baby seals and child labour.

Confirmed.

Victorious Secrect supports the killing of baby seals and child labour.

Confirmed.

What, you don't? I expect you to get rid of everything that came from India, Brazil, Taiwan, China, the Phillipines. Basically most of what you own. Get rid of it now. If you're so strongly against these practices.

Get off the high horse already.

I mean, the R9 295X2 and GTX Titan Z are both advertised as having twice as much memory as what's actually usable, and nobody tries to boycott either company for that.

And I still think both AMD and Nvidia are totally idiotic for marketing as that it just wasn't that big of a deal compared to the 970 VRAM issue

I'm simply saying, it was an easy mistake to make. Given the general mentality of the users on this board and elsewhere, I honestly feel like I'm going to have to call out every person who makes even the simplest mistake, because they should have known better when they posted.

It was advertised with 64 working ROPs and 2mb of L2 cache, neither of which were true

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

And I still think both AMD and Nvidia are totally idiotic for marketing as that it just wasn't that big of a deal compared to the 970 VRAM issue

It was advertised with 64 working ROPs and 2mb of L2 cache, neither of which were true

Do you have a 970?

I heard if you go to CPU z it lists 64 ROPS.

Which is kinda shady if true.

Can you confirm it please?

Thanks

How many of you are actually effected by this? Maybe two? It's just a placebo that suddenly the card is worthless. No it's not. Many of you will never fill the 3.5GB pool. But no, you're all a bunch of whiny consumers.  -_-

The best way to construct an argument is knowing what you're talking about, you obviously don't.

Not really , as i mentioned before.

If my 270x had 1.5 GB of VRAM i would not be able to run a SINGLE game from this year.

Idiot, it already only has 1.6 ish. Where do you think driver info and required system stuff is stored? There's about 430MB now on any big card that's used exclusively for non-game info.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

How many of you are actually effected by this? Maybe two? It's just a placebo that suddenly the card is worthless. No it's not. Many of you will never fill the 3.5GB pool. But no, you're all a bunch of whiny consumers.  -_-

The best way to construct an argument is knowing what you're talking about, you obviously don't.

I meant gpu Z.

It was a typo sorry.

Idiot, it already only has 1.6 ish. Where do you think driver info and required system stuff is stored? There's about 430MB now on any big card that's used exclusively for non-game info.

Name calling i like it.

Yes but all the ram in my card is equally fast.

Ah yes, all those 1 year old assembly line robots.  Ya know those machines don't even get bathroom breaks, and when they get their oil changed it's not even with good synthetic greases.

The fanboys, and share holders, are real.

on a related note.  Intel does go the extra mile to assure that the raw materials they use in the manufacturing of their products are sourced from responsible people/mines.

Do you have a 970?

You have no clue what you're talking about, please stop while you're ahead.

It's one thing to be opinionated, but it's another to talk of issues you can't comprehend.

It was advertised with 64 working ROPs and 2mb of L2 cache, neither of which were true

I'm not saying they should continue to advertise it like that, and considering I understand the business side of things a bit more than most of these "boycotters," I only hope NVIDIA, like nearly every other company in existence, gets a better grip on how well the departments interact with each other. For the engineers at NVIDIA to not be able to communicate vital information like a partially disabled ROP/memory controller to the technical marketing/PR, it's embarrassing, quite frankly.

I'll also be sure to accuse board members of being liars that should have known better before they posted, because this board should not tolerate shady opinions and human imperfection! Hail Gaben!

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Ah yes, all those 1 year old assembly line robots.  Ya know those machines don't even get bathroom breaks, and when they get their oil changed it's not even with good synthetic greases.

The fanboys, and share holders are real.

on a related note.  Intel does go the extra mile to assure that the raw materials they use in the manufacturing of their products are sourced from responsible people/mines.

We could rename this to nvidia tech tips forum and i would NOT notice.

:D

Just kidding you guys.