Perfectly Functional GTX 970 Cards Being Returned Over Memory Controversy

qwertywarrior

Most people have a moral issue with this.

The performance is the same.

A moral issue? You must not be human then, because humans aren't perfect in nature.

NVIDIA, created by humans, run by humans, made a human mistake. Are you morally opposed to humanity? If so, what planet or general species are you from? I'd love to learn.

Yah man, i'm really really upset. 

Or, maybe he's just being a dick and doing nothing but trying to belittle anyone who doesnt agree with him?

Idk, you're right, that seems unlikely. 

A single man can only put up with so much ignorance. I'm typically blissfully ignorant of the ignorance on this board, lol.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

A moral issue? You must not be human then, because humans aren't perfect in nature.

NVIDIA, created by humans, run by humans, made a human mistake. Are you morally opposed to humanity? If so, what planet or general species are you from? I'd love to learn.

A single man can only put up with so much ignorance.

Im opposed to incompetence.

Most people have a moral issue with this.

The performance is the same.

I personally think people should get off their high horse and stop feeling entitled, because from what i've heard the 970 was launched way cheaper than its predecessor so they should just be happy and shut up and stop being entitled brats about it. Honestly with all the crying i've seen on the internet you could swear they were spoon fed little rich kids that had everything handed to them in life.

Hell if you look at the performance of the card even with the issues its had it should still be priced way higher than it is for what it does.

I personally think people should get off their high horse and stop feeling entitled, because from what i've heard the 970 was launched way cheaper than its predecessor so they should just be happy and shut up and stop being entitled brats about it. Honestly with all the crying i've seen on the internet you could swear they were spoon fed little rich kids that had everything handed to them in life.

If we dont "cry".

"Nvidia will think , hey guys remenber when we scammed our costumers and nobody complain did that affect our stocks?

Nah man it was okay.

Sure man lets do it again but worse this time.

Yeah dude that sounds awsome"

Thats why i dont preorder games , because i wont support the preorder culture.

And i dont buy ubisoft games because i dont support what they do.

You however have a different opinion and i respect that , but respect has be a two way street.

Im opposed to incompetence.

So you're telling me that you fully understand how and why the error was made? You understand NVIDIA and how all of their departments interact with each other (or any company in general), you understand the engineering behind the GTX 970 and how the VRAM was segmented and the deactivated ROPs/L2 cache was still shown, and how NVIDIA's technical PR/Marketing couldn't spot the issue at first?

I'm guessing you're a capable businessman and engineer that could probably start his own company to produce more efficient, more powerful graphics cards and conduct sales better than NVIDIA ever could?

I'll put it this way, since a GTX 970 can be overclocked to match a GTX 970 in raw performance, Nvidia had to limit them in some way to make their more expensive product viable.

What does that change? Nvidia sold the cards with certain specifications but it turned out those specifications were a lie.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

So you're telling me that you fully understand how and why the error was made? You understand NVIDIA and how all of their departments interact with each other (or any company in general), you understand the engineering behind the GTX 970 and how the VRAM was segmented and the deactivated ROPs/L2 cache was still shown, and how NVIDIA's technical PR/Marketing couldn't spot the issue at first?

So I'm guessing you're a capable businessman and engineer that could probably start his own company to produce more efficient, more powerful graphics cards and conduct sales better than NVIDIA ever could?

Does a game reviewer need to be able to make a better game than the one he is reviewing to be able to criticize it?

Do you have to be a car engineer to review a car?

If we dont "cry".

"Nvidia will think , hey guys remenber when we scammed our costumers and nobody complain did that affect our stocks?

Nah man it was okay.

Sure man lets do it again but worse this time.

Yeah dude that sounds awsome"

Thats why i dont preorder games , because i wont support the preorder culture.

And i dont buy ubisoft games because i dont support what they do.

You however have a different opinion and i respect that , but respect has be a two way street.

That may be true but at the same time there is no reason to all of a sudden have wave upon wave of people returning the cards like they are when the card performs EXACTLY the same as it did the day they decided "hey i really like what i've seen from the reviewers about this card so it will be my next upgrade" and walk into the store or jump online and buy it. I understand everyone has their own opinion but its no reason for people to be saying BOYCOTT NVIDIA they are the worst company around blah blah blah. As I see it they gave the people what they wanted a value card for a value price.

Does a game reviewer need to be able to make a better game than the one he is reviewing to be able to criticize it?

Yes, unless you can build a GPU then bow down and give godking nvidia everything you own.

Also curse AMD. We do that here. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

That may be true but at the same time there is no reason to all of a sudden have wave upon wave of people returning the cards like they are when the card performs EXACTLY the same as it did the day they decided "hey i really like what i've seen from the reviewers about this card so it will be my next upgrade" and walk into the store or jump online and buy it.

They have their right to not support nvidia after this.

Thats all im saying.

Some people refuse to buy intel cpus because they did a deal with anita sarkeesian lol.

I guess this whole drama is gonna significantly benefit the AMD launch. Or atleast the card in the new lineup thats gonna compete with the GTX 970 performance wise.

R9 380x HYPE!

Steve

I'm guessing you're a capable businessman and engineer that could probably start his own company to produce more efficient, more powerful graphics cards and conduct sales better than NVIDIA ever could?

Dude i cant boycott nvidia all i want.

Besides i fucking recommended a nvidia GPU 10 minutes ago so back off.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/300569-first-build-help/

I will recommend it if its the right fit.

But i dont like what they did .

Are you taking my right away to dislike something?

They have their right to not support nvidia after this.

Thats all im saying.

Some people refuse to buy intel cpus because they did a deal with anita sarkeesian lol.

I'll be honest I dislike AMD gpu's because of a bad experience i personally had with them but i don't tell everyone they are the worst never use their cards. I have actually recommended AMD cards to many of my friends over the years and still do, i just personally don't want another in my next machine.

I'll be honest I dislike AMD gpu's because of a bad experience i personally had with them but i don't tell everyone they are the worst never use their cards. I have actually recommended AMD cards to many of my friends over the years and still do, i just personally don't want another in my next machine.

Fair enough.

I have used AMD gpus for 5 years with minimal issues.

I will change my GPU brand when im not satisfied like most people.

1) No, but I expect they know what he or she is actually talking about when they review the game. I don't expect the reviewer to give me their bias on a company and then input that bias in the final determination of whether or not the game is a solid one, I expect the reviewer to fluently describe the game, the mechanics of it, and length and quality of it, etc. I'm not looking to see an uneducated opinion of the company and its inner workings, I'm looking for details on the game.

2) Should I let a 13 year old review a Ferrari? No, I still fully expect somebody to have a basic understanding of what it is they're reviewing so they can correctly inform the consumer. You've shown that you don't even have a basic understanding of what it is you're talking about, I have no reason to believe that you've put forth a credible argument.

1) No, but I expect they know what he or she is actually talking about when they review the game. I don't expect the reviewer to give me their bias on a company and then input that bias in the final determination of whether or not the game is a solid one, I expect the reviewer to fluently describe the game, the mechanics of it, and length and quality of it, etc. I'm not looking to see an uneducated opinion of the company and its inner workings, I'm looking for details on the game.

2) Should I let a 13 year old review a Ferrari? No, I still fully expect somebody to have a basic understanding of what it is they're reviewing so they can correctly inform the consumer. You've shown that you don't even have a basic understanding of what it is you're talking about, I have no reason to believe that you've put forth a credible argument.

Its your opinion i have no understadning of this.

Thats however just a subjective opinion and and a ad hominem at best.

Fair enough.

I have used AMD gpus for 5 years with minimal issues.

I will change my GPU brand when im not satisfied like most people.

Hell my ma just bought a brand new laptop for $300 to tie her over until i can build her a computer and she gave me 4 different choices and i told her to go with the AMD based one because it seemed the best performance for the money she was spending.

Hell my ma just bought a brand new laptop for $300 to tie her over until i can build her a computer and she gave me 4 different choices and i told her to go with the AMD based one because it seemed the best performance for the money she was spending.

Yeah when amd burns me i will go to nvidia.

I have no brand loyalty my rig is intel /AMD.

I have already the matching profile picture :D

Name calling i like it.

Yes but all the ram in my card is equally fast.

And guess what? If you put the driver and system stuff in the slow part, suddenly your game will only take up the fast part. In other words, there is no freaking point of saying it only has 3.5GB or saying AMD provides a better solution. The reality is, with a better driver, you won't ever notice slower RAM.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

My R9 280x sits at 60-150 Mb when not gaming or viewing videos.

Because that's intelligent idle memory management. If you load up a 1GB video you can count the extra bytes added to run it and the extra system stuff which will show up in your VRAM.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Your ASUS GTX 970 runs at 1.4GHz stable whilst my Gigabyte G1 Gaming struggles to run stable at its factory overclock? Dafaq?

yeah even boosts higher than that. haven't seen temps over 69c in games

My PC specs are CPU: 6700k @4.7Ghz Ram: 16GB Corsair RGB Pro GPU: RTX 2070  PSU: RM650 CPU cooler: corsair H150 Case: corsair Motherboard: ASUS Z270 Pro SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 EVOand SK Hynix 1TB

And guess what? If you put the driver and system stuff in the slow part, suddenly your game will only take up the fast part. In other words, there is no freaking point of saying it only has 3.5GB or saying AMD provides a better solution. The reality is, with a better driver, you won't ever notice slower RAM.

Yeah im hoping nvidia does that.

It would mitigate the issue a lot.

Yeah when amd burns me i will go to nvidia.

I have no brand loyalty my rig is intel /AMD.

I have already the matching profile picture :D

The three laptops she told me about 3 were intel based dual core's with 2-4 gigs of ram vs the one AMD based one has an A4-5000 APU with 8 gigs of ram all were between $275-300 and she got the AMD one for $289. I know the A4-5000 quad core APU isnt that great but it's still overall more powerful than the 3 intel dual cores with integrated graphics.