Charlie Hebdo will publish one million copies next week with help from Google-backed fund

ahhming

These people were killed because of their own stupidity, freedom of speech is not "consequence free" speech. Before publishing those drawings, they should have taught about the possible consequences.

The only people i feel bad for are the two policemen, they did not deserve to die that way because they were not related to any of the shitpaper's publications.

did you really just say that people deserved to die for having an opinion on an aspect of religion! shooting someone because you dont agree with them is NOT a consequence...you know what im not going to bother because you clearly have issues

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

did you really just say that people deserved to die for having an opinion on an aspect of religion! shooting someone because you dont agree with them is NOT a consequence...you know what im not going to bother because you clearly have issues

Yes, it can be.  It just fuc***** happened.

Cool of Google to do so. Anyone who thinks Charlie Hebdo did a bad thing by making fun of Muslims, has to realise that they are actually being equal to evryone - they make fun of everyone and everything under the sun. That is just what they do.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Cool of Google to do so. Anyone who thinks Charlie Hebdo did a bad thing by making fun of Muslims, has to realise that they are actually being equal to evryone - they make fun of everyone and everything under the sun. That is just what they do.

With the focus on anti-muslim rhetoric in our current culture, satirical mention of core religious icons can embolden the most thick-headed of individuals.  Poking fun of the socially weakest, and easiest target is not a good thing, no.  Ignoring the fact that "just what they do" got 12 people murdered by dumber than average people does not change those facts.  I was taught to respect life as best I can.  Ridicule is not a good way to respect life...  either is taking life.

With the focus on anti-muslim rhetoric in our current culture, satirical mention of core religious icons can embolden the most thick-headed of individuals.  Poking fun of the socially weakest, and easiest target is not a good thing, no.  Ignoring the fact that "just what they do" got 12 people murdered by dumber than average people does not change those facts.  I was taught to respect life as best I can.  Ridicule is not a good way to respect life...  either is taking life.

I am not in any way defending the killing of the people, if anything the opposite. All I am saying is that beyond the fact that the attack was a terrible tragedy, is that it has no real moral basis. Preaching to the converted, I know.

I am personally quite a big fan of political satire in general (laughing and learning in combination allow us to enjoy what there is, and take away the power from those who do not deserve it), and as a result this attack was deeply worrying for me.

Sorry if I have in any way offended anyone C:

I haven't heard about it either. Probably because I don't use Twitter.

This is the first I'm hearing of it. I don't use twitter, I keep a very close lock on my feed on FB

Yeah, this is only Twitter/Facebook news, and not huge worldwide news.

Oh, fucking wait.

I am not in any way defending the killing of the people, if anything the opposite. All I am saying is that beyond the fact that the attack was a terrible tragedy, is that it has no real moral basis. Preaching to the converted, I know.

I am personally quite a big fan of political satire in general (laughing and learning in combination allow us to enjoy what there is, and take away the power from those who do not deserve it), and as a result this attack was deeply worrying for me.

Sorry if I have in any way offended anyone C:

I did not take it badly...personally.  You were quite "moderate" regarding the severity of that particular situation.  That was all I was trying to point out.  Poking fun of human inconsistencies that we all suffer from, from time to time, is usually harmless.  Targeting more sensitive issues like religious ideology, or HAIR COLOR, should be done with a little more observational caution.  Having a bunch of blondies running around believing they are better than the brunettes could turn ugly... you know? =P

charlie-hebdo-banner.png

B6wcXWdIgAA_Lbr-1.jpg?1420660857

This is good news. This act os terror was a direct attack on freedom of speech, and I personally will not tolerate such terrible, horrible and evil acts of complete lack of empathy.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

but you'd have to seek it out. last time I seeked out "world news" was when reddit.com/r/worldnews wasn't shit. you know how long it's been? a long time. so I don't visit that subreddit anymore.

no. because when I type 'reddit' on my browser, this happens:

So I immediately hit enter. browse PCMR's top 20 and gtfo. I don't care much for reddit as a whole, just the one subreddit.

You say you don't use shit sub-Reddits, but then say you browse the PCMR one.

Something doesn't quite add up here.

update your fucking life man......12 people including 2 police officers were gunned down by, what appears to be, Muslims  extremists and Charlie hebdos offices in paris.  it was a blatant attack on freedom of speach and the press given the nature of charlie hebdos publications. dude get a grip 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

update your fucking life man......12 people including 2 police officers were gunned down by, what appears to be, Muslims  extremists and Charlie hebdos offices in paris.  it was a blatant attack on freedom of speach and the press given the nature of charlie hebdos publications. dude get a grip 

You say you don't use shit sub-Reddits, but then say you browse the PCMR one.

Something doesn't quite add up here.

^^^I know we're all for freedom of speech, but you could at least moderate your attitude - people lost their lives for us to use freedom of speech - not misuse it.

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

people lost their lives for us to use freedom of speech

Yes, so please stop telling people how they can and can't speak.

He himself said that certain sub-Reddits were shit, so I only made a similar comment stating my own opinion. If he doesn't agree, that's fine.

IMHO that toilet paper they called a newspaper was in constant danger the day it decided making fun of mahomet was a cool idea, you don't fuck with a whole religion knowing that you "maybe" have extremists in your country. 

France should have taken precautions since a number of citizens were going to syria and coming back, then maybe they should have toned down that freedom of speech bullshit because i don't know uhmm, there are  

4.700.000 muslim people in the country. inb4 possible extremists.

These people were killed because of their own stupidity, freedom of speech is not "consequence free" speech. Before publishing those drawings, they should have taught about the possible consequences.

The only people i feel bad for are the two policemen, they did not deserve to die that way because they were not related to any of the shitpaper's publications.

Using the same analogy, any woman who wears a summer dress when it's warm only has herself to blame if she gets raped, right? She should have kept in mind that there could be people out there who were willing to abuse her.

Perhaps you want to live like a coward, but not all of us do.

Satire and ridicule is a part of the free speech we in the west propagate. Those who dislike that simply have no place in our society.

To quote Ahmed Aboutaleb (the mayor of Rotterdam and a Muslim in case the name didn't give that away) in "NOS Nieuwsuur" yesterday :

"Freedom of speech is an essential part of our western civilization. If you can't accept that , for heaven's sake pack your suitcases and leave. There may be a place in the world where you can live life the way you want, but be honest to yourself and don't start killing innocent journalists. This is so retarded and unfathomable. Just go if you can't find your place here in the way we want to build our civilization. We want an "us" civilization, where everyone, including the good Muslims, are one. If you don't want that and don't like humorists that make a newspaper ... well ... can I say it like this ... just fuck off."

I did not take it badly...personally.  You were quite "moderate" regarding the severity of that particular situation.  That was all I was trying to point out.  Poking fun of human inconsistencies that we all suffer from, from time to time, is usually harmless.  Targeting more sensitive issues like religious ideology, or HAIR COLOR, should be done with a little more observational caution.  Having a bunch of blondies running around believing they are better than the brunettes could turn ugly... you know? =P

Good C:

I am also really glad that the focus of this is freedom of speech, because I often worry about repurcussions of sectarianism, and the fact that everyone, muslims and non muslims alike, are working together, is wonderful in my eyes.

Good. About time they got themselves back up. 

Terrorists are pretty pathetic crying over a comic. 

Argentina got upset about a number plate. Threw rocks at the camera crew. Spot the third world country. (Top Gear had a motorbike decked out in stars and stripes blasting 'Born in the USA' nobody gave off - Vietnam is now better than Argentina)

While is usually couldn't care about pro gun law, the amateur video recorder could have easily shot and killed at least two of the attackers. If he had even a small firearm. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I don't dare opening liveleak anymore,what's more with me being in UK now and having a particular name that starts with the letter 'M' if you know what I mean.I don't want to be on the watchlists..Facebook is my main source of news now even if most of them are quite crappy news..

now that you wrote the word liveleak youre on a list anyways ;)

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

While is usually couldn't care about pro gun law, the amateur video recorder could have easily shot and killed at least two of the attackers. If he had even a small firearm.

Weirdly enough, I was thinking the exact same thing when I first saw that video. If I were on that roof with my gun, they wouldn't have reached that Citroën and with all the houses nearby the 2nd guy wouldn't have had the time to figure out where the bullet that hit his partner came from.

Yes, so please stop telling people how they can and can't speak.

He himself said that certain sub-Reddits were shit, so I only made a similar comment stating my own opinion. If he doesn't agree, that's fine.

You missed the "not misuse it". With freedom comes responsibility.

no. because when I type 'reddit' on my browser, this happens:

Untitled6d57a.png

So I immediately hit enter. browse PCMR's top 20 and gtfo. I don't care much for reddit as a whole, just the one subreddit.

lol

Weirdly enough, I was thinking the exact same thing. If I were on that roof with my gun, they wouldn't have reached that Citroën and with all the houses nearby the 2nd guy wouldn't have had the time to figure out where the bullet that hit his partner came from.

The thing is they simply aren't trained for combat. They had no idea what they where doing. They just pulled up and shot people without really giving a hoot on who's who. 

Even in the UK, i can't help but think that if they get to America they wouldn't stand a chance. They'd get killed instantly. No tactics or pre-planning at all. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I'm french and I don't care much about all this charlie hebdo thing as much as other people do. But this initiative of google is quite awsome for the people who actually care a lot. this whole thing just prove that to be free you need to be anonym which is kinda stupid 

From Reddit:

Google was ordered by a court to deposit this amount on France's Digital Press Fund. That Fund decided to spend this on Charlie Hebdo.

Google is NOT giving U$ 300.000 to Charlie Hebdo any more than someone sentenced to pay a fine is giving to the homeless via public shelters.

This isn't actually Google doing it. Another source makes it more clear:
Google does not control The Digital Innovation Press Fund (known in French as Fonds pour l'Innovation Numérique de la Press) but has a seat on its board.

They were required to give money to that fund as part of some settlement.

Good C:

I am also really glad that the focus of this is freedom of speech, because I often worry about repurcussions of sectarianism, and the fact that everyone, muslims and non muslims alike, are working together, is wonderful in my eyes.

:) I enjoy your demeanor and your sense of togetherness (it is important to know both:  things that make us similar, AND things that make each of us unique/different).  EXCEPT!  for the freedom of speech part.  This is not really a FoS issue... it is a murder issue. :ph34r:

@SuperfastJellyfish Way to stay on topic...good find.

I thought your location status was a joke, now I am reconsidering.

The shootings in france have been on the news for quite a while now.

Not everybody watches news. I havent seen a TV in several years now and i dont watch news on youtube either. Also my fb is free of any peoplebi dont talk to regulary or havent been a friend with for ass long time.

So i would love more info in the OPs post as well :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

:) I enjoy your demeanor and your sense of togetherness (it is important to know both:  things that make us similar, AND things that make each of us unique/different).  EXCEPT!  for the freedom of speech part.  This is not really a FoS issue... it is a murder issue. :ph34r:

@SuperfastJellyfish Way to stay on topic...good find.

I agree, it is obvious that the gunmen didn't have freedom of speech in mind when they engaged, but FoS is a preferable agenda for the general public, rather than "Look, they are different, let's be angry and protest about it!"