Charlie Hebdo will publish one million copies next week with help from Google-backed fund

ahhming

the unprecedented print run will be funded by, The Fund for Digital Innovation (funded by Google but controlled by an independent trade group) which has donated 250,000 euro (nearly $300,000), while French newspapers have pledged an equal amount.

Not only google but while French newspapers have pledged an equal amount.

RIP condolences to those who lost thier loved ones

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/8/7514251/charlie-hebdo-will-publish-one-million-copies-next-week-with-help

*updated

Updated to clarify the relationship between Google and the Fund for Digital Innovation.

I had to google "Charlie Hebdo"

update your news post with more detail pls? :P

I thought your location status was a joke, now I am reconsidering. 

The shootings in france have been on the news for quite a while now. 

Yeah man , when boston blew up everybody knew... This is similar level

I haven't heard about it either. Probably because I don't use Twitter.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

12 people including 2 police officers were gunned down by, what appears to be, Muslim extremists and Charlie hebdos offices in paris.  it was a blatant attack on freedom of speach and the press given the nature of charlie hebdos publications. dude get a grip 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I haven't heard about it either. Probably because I don't use Twitter.

Don't you watch the news, even glance at them?

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Don't you watch the news, even glance at them?

No.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

This is the first I'm hearing of it. I don't use twitter, I keep a very close lock on my feed on FB, and I haven't used a television in month(s)

Yeah man , when boston blew up everybody knew... This is similar level

I didn't know about the Boston event until a John Stewart episode.. I don't actively seek out news that isn't tech-related. and so unless I see it on tech forums/boards/comedy bit, I won't be aware.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

12 people including 2 police officers were gunned down by, what appears to be, Muslim extremists and Charlie hebdos offices in paris.  it was a blatant attack on freedom of speach and the press given the nature of charlie hebdos publications. dude get a grip 

ok? read my previous comment. I don't seek out news that isn't tech. but if I come across it, I'll read it.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

This is the first I'm hearing of it. I don't use twitter, I keep a very close lock on my feed on FB, and I haven't used a television in month(s)

I didn't know about the Boston event until a John Stewart episode.. I don't actively seek out news that isn't tech-related. and so unless I see it on tech forums/boards/comedy bit, I won't be aware.

It was posted on here yesterday or the day before. Can't remember exactley

Steve

Good for Google!

Not everyone has access to news or news sites, or access to get to it when something big has gone down.

Chill dude, damn.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Good for Google!

Not everyone has access to news or news sites, or access to get to it when something big has gone down.

Chill dude, damn.

actually you do, everyone who has an internet connection does. 

Not really. Things like work, school, sleep, eating and outside activity exists. Having a computer doesn't mean you will always be updated on the news of the world.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

but you'd have to seek it out. last time I seeked out "world news" was when reddit.com/r/worldnews wasn't shit. you know how long it's been? a long time. so I don't visit that subreddit anymore.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

but you'd have to seek it out. last time I seeked out "world news" was when reddit.com/r/worldnews wasn't shit. you know how long it's been? a long time. so I don't visit that subreddit anymore.

homepage?

homepage?

no. because when I type 'reddit' on my browser, this happens:

Untitled6d57a.png

So I immediately hit enter. browse PCMR's top 20 and gtfo. I don't care much for reddit as a whole, just the one subreddit.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

just keep an eye on liveleak, then youll literaly see whats happening on these kind of things :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

ok? read my previous comment. I don't seek out news that isn't tech. but if I come across it, I'll read it.

then you should there is so much more to life and much more important things then your PC

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

just keep an eye on liveleak, then youll literaly see whats happening on these kind of things :P

I don't dare opening liveleak anymore,what's more with me being in UK now and having a particular name that starts with the letter 'M' if you know what I mean.I don't want to be on the watchlists..Facebook is my main source of news now even if most of them are quite crappy news..

update your fucking life man......12 people including 2 police officers were gunned down by, what appears to be, Muslim extremists and Charlie hebdos offices in paris.  it was a blatant attack on freedom of speach and the press given the nature of charlie hebdos publications. dude get a grip 

It was not an attack on anyone's freedom of speech.  It was an attack against someone's freedom to live.  Example:  You go outside and find someone walking down the street.  You walk up to them and say:  "Yo mamas a ho!, dawg".  That person proceeds to punch you in the face. 

They made fun of a religion and a few religious people were dumb enough to kill them for it.

I can't see using a religious figure to ridicule people as a great idea, not because it might get you killed but because it might needlessly hurt someone's feelings.  Reading that Google is funding printing copies of this magazine made me feel kind of good:  "We won't be scared" type of thing.  I might realize how this funding might not be a good idea later though, might be...idk, irrelevant.  Just Google hubris.

It was not an attack on anyone's freedom of speech.  It was an attack against someone's freedom to live.  Example:  You go outside and find someone walking down the street.  You walk up to them and say:  "Yo mamas a ho!, dog".  That person proceeds to punch you in the face. 

They made fun of a religion and a few religious people were dumb enough to kill them for it.

I can't see using a religious figure to ridicule people as a great idea, not because it might get you killed but because it might needlessly hurt someone's feelings.  Reading that Google is funding printing copies of this magazine made me feel kind of good:  "We won't be scared" type of thing.  I might realize how this funding might not be a good idea later though, might be...idk, irrelevant.  Just Google hubris.

i think we need an intelligence test for internet from now on

of you cant see how attaking the creators of a publication whos MO was to use satire to mock the oultlandish views of small minded extreamists, in an attempt to stop them then you sir need educating.  the fact that you think they "might needlessly hurt someone's feelings." shows how little you understand what really happened

Funny to see how people react to these kind of things, now islamophobia will reach unbelievable levels in Europe

IMHO that toilet paper they called a newspaper was in constant danger the day it decided making fun of mahomet was a cool idea, you don't fuck with a whole religion knowing that you "maybe" have extremists in your country. 

France should have taken precautions since a number of citizens were going to syria and coming back, then maybe they should have toned down that freedom of speech bullshit because i don't know uhmm, there are  

4.700.000 muslim people in the country. inb4 possible extremists.

of you cant see how attaking the creators of a publication whos MO was to use satire to mock the oultlandish views of small minded extreamists, in an attempt to stop them then you sir need educating.  the fact that you think they "might needlessly hurt someone's feelings." shows how little you understand what really happened

These people were killed because of their own stupidity, freedom of speech is not "consequence free" speech. Before publishing those drawings, they should have taught about the possible consequences.

The only people i feel bad for are the two policemen, they did not deserve to die that way because they were not related to any of the shitpaper's publications.

then you should there is so much more to life and much more important things then your PC

I'm aware. I am exposed to much more than just tech. people are not defined by their hobbies, are they?

SPAAAAAACE!!!

^^^ where does one begin?  ... ...  this is dreadful.

Jaggy won't get this but let's try.  Freedom of speech (in most countries that have it) is a human right enforced under the power of law... L A W.  The governing body enforces the law through their policing force.  The governing body and it's satellites are the only entities that can take away a lawful human right.  They are the only ones that have the capability to do so.  Unless of course, you live in a land without laws.

I think that is right, can anyone other than jaggy chime in to the correctness of my statement?