Video Request: "iSwitched to Linux"

john01dav

Linus tries Linux :D

And greatness will be upon Linus. Yes, it would be great, and if Linus doesn't want to do it, Luke should!

I have to add my voice to the others. A Switched series for Linux would be really cool to see.

People get turned off simply because of the Terminal, but I don't think they realize 1) how easy it is to use (and how similar it is to the cmd in Windows) and 2) you don't need to use it every second or every time you need something. There is the Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager and for Debian based distros the .deb files makes installation just as easy if not easier than Windows. Unless you like to mess around with it, you don't need to use the terminal all that much. For me I love using it so I have using it down to a near fine art. Of course changing OSes or experiencing new ones will require time to learn and patience to sit through it, but if you had come off another OS to Windows, don't you think you'd be spending some time learning it?

You miss out on some fun and a new experience if you just refuse to try it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yes! I would be very interested to see this series! Linux seems really interesting, I'm mostly held back on it currently because of game support.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I would also like to see this.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Sorry.  This was a dual-post and for whatever reason I am unable to find a delete option.

I feel this would be better w/ a focus on gaming.  Using linux from a general productivity perspective is pretty ez.  You don't even have to commit drive space to it.  You could boot it off a flash drive and be just fine for 90% of what you would need a pc for (email, office, internet).  However from a GAMING standpoint, there would be a lot more relevant info.  Like getting Dota 2 and CS:GO to run smoothly.  Comparing frame rates using the same hardware in windows and linux.  Ease of use in figuring out the weird stuff.  I've used ubuntu and mint and currently run ZorinOS 9 on my laptop and though I don't game on my laptop @ all, it has been a very VERY pleasant experience.  My desktop on the other hand dual-boots because half of my steam library doesn't do linux (though a surprising amount does).

I am doubtful of his software technical and troubleshooting ability.

I ran Linux Mint on a shitty desktop for a while just for kicks, it was actually a surprisingly nice and pain free experience. The only real complaint I have with it is that as expected, software support isn't the greatest point. But tbh, I really didn't see anything that it was good for beyond hosting a couple servers for me or as something to run when you can't get a Windows license. 

I'm very much a Windows guy, but this would be quite interesting I think. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

More like an episode of finding ways to work around stuff that Linux wont run lol

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Hardware compatibility is technically better on Linux due to the fact, nearly all drivers are written into the kernel, instead of being an extension, meaning majority of the time you never have to install drivers, excluding the closed-source graphics drivers, because the open-source ones built into the Linux kernel absolutely suck for performance.

an example would be on my laptop when installing Windows 8.1 I had to install the fn key drivers, touchpad drivers (for gesture), and the gpu drivers,

Where as in Ubuntu 14.10 I only had to install gpu drivers. Touchpad and fn keys worked out of the box

When I tried using ELementary OS it wouldn't boot because the drivers for my GPU were not available to it, so this is a lie.

Using linux from a general productivity perspective is pretty ez

Right, Linux has great driver support for things like Wacom tablets Ableton Push, and there is plenty of amazing Adobe/Autodesk/PixelLogic/Ableton software supported on it! Ohh wait, there isn't because Linux sucks from a productivity standpoint. Also open office looks like it was made in 1997 and Libre Office has shit spell/grammar checking compared to MS Office.

Linux is terrible OS compared to Windows and Mac. Please, stop praising it.

I would like to see that

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+

It would be interesting to see but I can see the first stumbling block being using an AMD card on Linux due to their sub-par Linux drivers (unless you have something like a 280X or above which will cover most of the issues) or Linus breaking his install by installing his drivers incorrectly (by installing straight from the .run file rather than building the correct packages for his distribution). I'd gladly give advice for what to use though.

If you are going to use Ubuntu, then use stock Ubuntu and select an LTS release. You could also use OpenSuSe or Fedora as well. If he wants to go for a rolling release, so no fixed upgrades but upgrading each individual component when the next stable version is released, then I recommend something like Antergos. I just recommend using Ubuntu though as the system is easy to use plus that is the targeted distribution for most developers now anyway. Intel have a driver update tool for their graphic drivers, AMD provide pre-packaged .deb files assuming you are on an LTS release and there is a good PPA for nVidia drivers.

Actually, you're better off running an AMD GPU than Nvidia with Linux. AMD is actively working on improving it's Linux drivers and as it currently stands, you'll run into less issues with AMD drivers than Nvidia.

When I tried using ELementary OS it wouldn't boot because the drivers for my GPU were not available to it, so this is a lie.

What are your system specs and what method did you use to install the OS? Also which version were you installing?

Right, Linux has great driver support for things like Wacom tablets Ableton Push, and there is plenty of amazing Adobe/Autodesk/PixelLogic/Ableton software supported on it! Ohh wait, there isn't because Linux sucks from a productivity standpoint. Also open office looks like it was made in 1997 and Libre Office has shit spell/grammar checking compared to MS Office.

I understand you don't like Linux and I respect your opinion. But it's not terrible and is actually far better than windows/OSX in many ways. Perhaps if you learned a little more about it you'd gain a different, more appreciative perspective.

If you have windows-specific needs for the type of work you do, then by all means - use windows! Nobody is forcing you to use Linux and it's not for everyone (clearly) but we're not going to stop promoting/praising it just because you don't like it.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Actually, you're better off running an AMD GPU than Nvidia with Linux. AMD is actively working on improving it's Linux drivers and as it currently stands, you'll run into less issues with AMD drivers than Nvidia.

What are your system specs and what method did you use to install the OS? Also which version were you installing?

I understand you don't like Linux and I respect your opinion. But it's not terrible and is actually far better than windows/OSX in many ways. Perhaps if you learned a little more about it you'd gain a different, more appreciative perspective.

If you have windows-specific needs for the type of work you do, then by all means - use windows! Nobody is forcing you to use Linux and it's not for everyone (clearly) but we're not going to stop promoting/praising it just because you don't like it.

As someone who needs an OS for productivity and doesn't feel like screwing with the OS just get things half-working I will stick with Windows, to me and many other users Linux sucks, period.

Until Linux gets universal support from companies like Adobe, Autodesk and many others please stop praising it and trying to get people to switch to it. At the end of the day it can barely do more than my phone can, and I don't need a PC for a phone/tablet experience.

This would be great. Both from a work and gaming perspective.

As someone who needs an OS for productivity and doesn't feel like screwing with the OS just get things half-working I will stick with Windows, to me and many other users Linux sucks, period.

Until Linux gets universal support from companies like Adobe, Autodesk and many others please stop praising it and trying to get people to switch to it. At the end of the day it can barely do more than my phone can, and I don't need a PC for a phone/tablet experience.

You mean you don't know how to use it and you can't do much more with it than what you do with your phone. ;)

Don't mistake your own incompetence to use Linux with what it's actually capable of. If you really wanted to, you could have all you want/need for productivity on a Linux-based machine and have it all function properly, you just prefer not to learn how to do that and that's fine. It's not for everyone and it's clearly not for you. So go stick with your windows and stop bashing Linux. Like I said, nobody is forcing anyone to use it, but there are many people out there who might like it or prefer to use it, once they know more about it. At the end of the day, you still have a choice and so does everyone else.

We praise it because we know what it's capable of and all the benefits that come along with it.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I really don't this he should... yet!

Linux is really going under large development as people are starting to recognize it.

I would wait a year or two.

blackshades on

If you had actually properly read my post you would understand I said TECHNICALLY it is better due to the fact most drivers are written straight into the kernel, rather than being kernel extensions (drivers), the problem your having is not Linux's problem its nvidia or AMD not releasing there Linux Driver in time, plus if you did not realize Linux runs on supercomputers all the way through to smartphones, and supports more CPU architectures than Windows or OS X

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Also please do not bash linux because you have had one bad experience, Linux runs the majority of the websites you visit, and has amazing uptime, stability and security compared to Windows, Linux based OS's are not bad, infact If you have an android phone you are running it right now

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Also please do not bash linux because you have had one bad experience,

I'll do what I want.

Linux runs the majority of the websites you visit

the only thing it is good for.

and has amazing uptime

So does Windows, what's the point?

stability ans security compared to Windows

Wouldn't be true if everyone used it, because then the virus makers would be targeting Linux, not Windows.

Linux based OS's are not bad, infact If you have an android phone you are running it right now

Yeah, and I've had nothing but software problems with my Nexus 7

You mean you don't know how to use it and you can't do much more with it than what you do with your phone.  ;)

Unless you screw around with the Os and make modifications to Windows programs then no, it can't do more than my phone/tablet. In fact my Nexus 7 does quite a few things better than Linux, since it can watch Netflix, the Skype app doesn't suck and I can easily listen to Spotify.

Don't mistake your own incompetence to use Linux with what it's actually capable of.

Throwing around mean words really helps you point

If you really wanted to, you could have all you want/need for productivity on a Linux-based machine and have it all function properly, you just prefer not to learn how to do that and that's fine.

Right, there aren't alternatives for Adobe/Autodesk/Ableton/PixelLogic software. Gimp and Blender have shit UI's so don't even bother suggesting those. The Ableton Push works best with their software, which isn't on Linux. Wacom doesn't have good Linux support, and their hardware also works best with Autodesk/Adobe/PixelLogic software. Getting that thing to both work on Linux properly and integrate with whatever I can get on Linux will be tricky. If you haven't used a paid product long enough you simply don't understand why using free-ware is a pain in the arse to many people and why artist will gladly shell out the money for Maya or Photoshop over Blender and Gimp. Once you get use to a certain workflow switching can be a pain and can easily hinder productivity. I can't switch to Linux simply because it isn't properly supported by the companies who's products I own, and I should have to screw around with the OS to get everything half working. Once I did manage to get Photoshop working on Linux, but it ran poorly and not everything worked as it aught to, so I said screw this and went back to Windows.

It's not for everyone and it's clearly not for you.

Yes, nor is it for anyone who actually wants an OS that is capable of real work.

So go stick with your windows and stop bashing Linux.

I'll do what I want

Like I said, nobody is forcing anyone to use it, but there are many people out there who might like it or prefer to use it, once they know more about it.

That number is very small

At the end of the day, you still have a choice and so does everyone else.

Actually, me and many other people who use Windows over Linux because of poor support from companies don't have a choice.

We praise it because we know what it's capable of and all the benefits that come along with it.

Yes, it capable of browsing the internet, running servers and letting its user act like they are superior to Windows users. That's about it.