Video Request: "iSwitched to Linux"

john01dav

Mostly the Price, imho Windows is overpriced (though it is getting sort of better) and that you can get similar stuff on other platforms even if it requires some work with at least for me is fine since I'm upgrading my laptop so doing extra work to save money doesn't really concern me since the upgrade on the laptop isn't straight forward anyways. I can produce similar quality stuff with out having to spend thousands of dollars on software with some extra steps. Which I mean I personally am willing to take then again I a.) am not going to make money or a lot of money on my work  and b.) Will only License through Creative Commons. 

Really? Windows is overpriced? Ok, make your own OS from scratch please. Tell me how easy it is when you are done. Overpriced my ass, you linux users just don't understand the value of certain hardware. By your logic houses should be free, and so should Lamborghini's, while were at it everyone should have their own personal space shuttle that can take them to the moon. All for free of course because its not like the people who made things have to work hard or anything!

Edit: I just lost respect of linux users, not that I had any from the start. You're all just a bunch of freeloaders.

Snip

I'm not a linux user atm, I'm using Windows (Windows 7 to be exact) right now. It's not bad but as I said to get the mainstream versions of everything I'd have to spend close to $5,500 which I don't have. Linux alternatives aren't perfect nor great (I understand this) but when you don't have a lot of money to work with alternatives are a good option. You're sort of blowing things out of proportion, Linux has a more European style of things where the community supports the distro and sometimes the community even maintains the distro. See when I fully install whatever distro I go with if they accept donations, I would happily donate. I also appreciate that Linus Torvalds refused the NSA access to Linux whereas Microsoft has allowed the NSA access to Windows 8. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I don't know if Linus uses wireless internet or not, but if he does, he's in for real fun ride....

Wireless drivers on Linux = hell.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Really? Windows is overpriced? Ok, make your own OS from scratch please. Tell me how easy it is when you are done. Overpriced my ass, you linux users just don't understand the value of certain hardware. By your logic houses should be free, and so should Lamborghini's, while were at it everyone should have their own personal space shuttle that can take them to the moon. All for free of course because its not like the people who made things have to work hard or anything!

Edit: I just lost respect of linux users, not that I had any from the start. You're all just a bunch of freeloaders.

Holy crap dude. Seriously, calm down. What is your problem? 

Nobody is forcing you to use Linux. You have the choice and I don't care if you hate Linux and prefer to use windows. Go use windows then and stop bashing Linux. It's that simple.

All we are doing is presenting people with more information about Linux. Maybe it doesn't provide any benefit to you, but it does to others. You've taken much of what we've said and blown it way out of context and proportion. Calling all Linux users freeloaders is just plain childish and so far off the mark. Some people believe somethings should be free for all to use, share and enjoy. Yeah, that's really horrible!  <_<

It's an operation system. I don't see how someone can get so bent out of shape about something like this. There are far more important things to get worked up about. Grow up!

I don't know if Linus uses wireless internet or not, but if he does, he's in for real fun ride....

Wireless drivers on Linux = hell.

I recently installed Lubuntu on a family member's old Acer laptop (approx. 5 years old) and the wifi worked perfectly right out of the box. In fact everything works perfectly on that machine, no issues what so ever. ;)

How long ago were you having issues with this and on what machine?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Holy crap dude. Seriously, calm down. What is your problem? 

Nobody is forcing you to use Linux. You have the choice and I don't care if you hate Linux and prefer to use windows. Go use windows then and stop bashing Linux. It's that simple.

All we are doing is presenting people with more information about Linux. Maybe it doesn't provide any benefit to you, but it does to others. You've taken much of what we've said and blown it way out of context and proportion. Calling all Linux users freeloaders is just plain childish and so far off the mark. Some people believe somethings should be free for all to use, share and enjoy. 

It's an operation system. I don't see how someone can get so bent out of shape about something like this. There are far more important things to get worked up about. Grow up!

I recently installed Lubuntu on a family member's old Acer laptop (approx. 5 years old) and the wifi worked perfectly right out of the box. In fact everything works perfectly on that machine, no issues what so ever. ;)

How long ago were you having issues with this and on what machine?

I'm installing Ubuntu as we speak as I know that has better wireless support out of the box than elementary OS. I use a desktop with a wireless adapter because the router is in another room.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm installing Ubuntu as we speak as I know that has better wireless support out of the box than elementary OS. I use a desktop with a wireless adapter because the router is in another room.

Ah, yes. That could be the issue. Because you're using an external wireless adapter, it's less likely someone will have ported the specific drivers for that specific adapter for Linux. There are so many different makes and models of wireless adapters, it would be extremely difficult to add them all. With devices such as these, you're better off using the more popular brands and models as they're more likely to have drivers available. If you're using an older, less-popular model adapter, it's possible support may never be provided. You could also check with the Ubuntu community to see if support for your particular device is available. I know for a fact many of the popular newer adapters (especially the USB ones) are supported out of the box with most of the latest distros. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Ah, yes. That could be the issue. Because you're using an external wireless adapter, it's less likely someone will have ported the specific drivers for that specific adapter for Linux. There are so many different makes and models of wireless adapters, it would be extremely difficult to add them all. With devices such as these, you're better off using the more popular brands and models as they're more likely to have drivers available. If you're using an older, less-popular model adapter, it's possible support may never be provided. You could also check with the Ubuntu community to see if support for your particular device is available. I know for a fact many of the popular newer adapters (especially the USB ones) are supported out of the box with most of the latest distros. :)

I believe mine is on the latest version of Ubuntu. Only distro I've gotten it to consistently work on. Mint didn't even register that it gave me internet access. Elementary tried but kinda failed.

Anyways, Ubuntu seems to be working without issues right now so that is good!

I believe mine is on the latest version of Ubuntu. Only distro I've gotten it to consistently work on. Mint didn't even register that it gave me internet access. Elementary tried but kinda failed.

Anyways, Ubuntu seems to be working without issues right now so that is good!

Glad it's working for you now. :)

Which version of Mint did you try?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Glad it's working for you now. :)

Which version of Mint did you try?

Don't remember. Standard 64 bit from 6 months ago.