Video Request: "iSwitched to Linux"

john01dav

This wouldn't work because of how many Linux distros there are.

Linux nerds are gonna be like "Get Unbuntu no get Kubuntu no get Slackware no get Debian no get Redhat no get Kali no get Fedora no get NetRunner etc etc". It will be a shit storm.

Not really. All distros have the same basic kernal behind them and the choice of distro is basically a set of pre-selected appearance/GUI/packages of software on top. There have been many "what's your favorite distro?" threads across a number of tech forums and the general consensus is; try out as many as you can/want and choose which ever one you like the most. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This wouldn't work because of how many Linux distros there are.

Linux nerds are gonna be like "Get Unbuntu no get Kubuntu no get Slackware no get Debian no get Redhat no get Kali no get Fedora no get NetRunner etc etc". It will be a shit storm.

I don't think it would hurt to review at least 4 of the major distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, Elementary and or Linux Mint, optionally any other GNOME 3 based distro (I.E Debian).)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Yes, please, need this video.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I personally would like to switch to linux but there is just a few big apps missing. One of them notably being Adobe. I would love to see how linus gets on with this.

I personally would like to switch to linux but there is just a few big apps missing. One of them notably being Adobe. I would love to see how linus gets on with this.

There are alternatives and they are improving. Some are very comparable, but it's a matter of what you're used to using and if you're willing to learn another/different program.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I think he should do a dual review of SteamOS and a Linux distro. And, in the iSwitched videos, he tried to be impartial, but you could see he was holding back so much. He needs a good reference point to windows, and with windows 10 coming, I think he should do an os round up with Luke using OSx, Linus using linux, and Brandon on windows 10.

WHAT I DO WITH MY LEGS AND HOW FAST I MOVE THEM IS MY BUSINESS YOU SHIT.

stop calling it iswitched...

it was iswitched because it was an imac.... a joke about apples naming schemes...

call it something like... normal...

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I think he should do a dual review of SteamOS and a Linux distro. And, in the iSwitched videos, he tried to be impartial, but you could see he was holding back so much. He needs a good reference point to windows, and with windows 10 coming, I think he should do an os round up with Luke using OSx, Linus using linux, and Brandon on windows 10.

SteamOS is just a Debian based distro that launches Steam in big picture mode on start up. It can be a royal pain to install and IMO it makes far more sense to just install a normal (and fully functional) desktop distro and install Steam on that. If you want the SteamOS type experience, just switch to big picture mode. At least then you can still do other things with your PC instead of only being able to run Linux compatible games.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I'd like to see Linus do this, or perhaps another member of LTT

Logan agrees, on a recent tek he said that Linus is going the wrong way (in response to the iswitched to mac)

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

• 1 month later...

They are by no means false. Please, find the Linux download of ZBrush, or the drivers for Wacom tablets or Ableton Push. Find me software that will work with my Ableton Push because clearly Ableton Live isn't on Linux. Please, explain to me how to quickly and efficiently switch from Photoshop to Gimp. Show me an open source alternative to any other Adobe CC or Autodesk product. Please, tell me because they seem to not exist. Also, show me a proper, Netflix, Skype or Spotify Client. While you are at it find me the files I need to play DX11 games. Finally, find me the plugins that will brings Libre Office's grammar/spell check up to par with the one in MS Office. Oh wait, none of those things exist because Linux sucks? Ok, not interested then. You can have your crappy OS and I'll have my properly working, fully-featured OS.

If my claims are false, then please, show me how to install ALL  of the software listed above with ease.

Sorry to jump on this train, but I thought it funny that your three quintessential examples of unsupported software "Netflix, Skype, and Spotify" all have native Linux versions that are in all the major repositories (Chrome for Netflix support)....was the last time you tried a linux distro in 2004 or something?

I got an email notification about this thread, thinking it was an actual "I switched to Linux" video from linus.

disappoint.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

LinuxTechTips...

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

As someone who needs an OS for productivity and doesn't feel like screwing with the OS just get things half-working I will stick with Windows, to me and many other users Linux sucks, period.

Until Linux gets universal support from companies like Adobe, Autodesk and many others please stop praising it and trying to get people to switch to it. At the end of the day it can barely do more than my phone can, and I don't need a PC for a phone/tablet experience.

M9 there is alternatives that don't cost you an arm and a leg and generally works. (Depends on what your doing.)

I plan on using Incscape, GIMP, LMMS, Ardour, Avidemux, MuseScore, and Lightworks with whatever Plugins that their mainstream counterpart may have or might not have by default. I'm not even going to bother with testing on expensive hardware. I'm going to be using my Samsung 3 series that has been upgraded to an A10 5750M (orig. A8 4500M) 250GB SSD (orig. 5400RPM 500GB HDD), and 8GB (Orig. 4GB) RAM. On Fedora WS 21, I expect it to run somewhat acceptable whereas on the mainstream Windows stuff I'd probably expect everything to run rather slow.

M9 there is alternatives that don't cost you an arm and a leg and generally works. (Depends on what your doing.)

I plan on using Incscape, GIMP, LMMS, Ardour, Avidemux, MuseScore, and Lightworks with whatever Plugins that their mainstream counterpart may have or might not have by default. I'm not even going to bother with testing on expensive hardware. I'm going to be using my Samsung 3 series that has been upgraded to an A10 5750M (orig. A8 4500M) 250GB SSD (orig. 5400RPM 500GB HDD), and 8GB (Orig. 4GB) RAM. On Fedora WS 21, I expect it to run somewhat acceptable whereas on the mainstream Windows stuff I'd probably expect everything to run rather slow.

From the standpoint of an artist I really could care less if there a free alternatives. I tried a few and the UI's are so abysmal that I spent more time googling things and messing with the UI to get things to do what I want. Artist don;t have time to learn a new piece of software. They have work to get done and they will use whatever feels most intuitive. For most of them this will mean using a professional software that they already know how to use and probably some form of a graphics tablet which as I said before don't have proper drivers on Linux. The alternatives suck from a professional standpoint and most people would rather pay the extra few hundred dollars to have something that just works 100% completely right out of the box. If they have problems they can call the customer service of the company they purchased their software from which is practically non existent for freeware. There is a good reason the professional scene doesn't use blender, gimp or any of that other software, because it's inconvenient for the artists to have to relearn the tools to get their work done. Not everyone is tech savvy to install Linux and make everything work on their system. If their PC came with Windows why the heck should they even consider installing Linux? Before you suggest that studios should have people build their own PC's as opposed to using a prebuilt workstation from Dell or HP, or whomever think about what I said earlier. Does the novice user really want to go through all that hassle when they can have someone else do it for them? No, they just want a tool that works for them without problems. That being said, it doesn't matter if Linux is the most amazing desktop OS that exists. As long as Windows keeps shipping with peoples prebuilt laptops and desktops and there is no proper support from professional software or hardware people will have no incentive to switch over. The same thing can be said about Windows Phone. Sure, it's a great OS, but most of the phones suck except for the One M8 which is also available with Android, an OS with proper app support. That being said, I could care less about Linux, but let me know its shipping in consumer laptops and it actually has software/hardware support.

Technically there is a brand that does ship with Ubuntu pre-installed. System76 to be exact (https://system76.com/).

Anyways I suppose if the artist doesn't have the time or wishes to profit from their work then yeah I suppose the expensive "pro grade" stuff is preferable.

Though the Indie/Low budget people can still have their cake and eat it too with out major repercussions (besides some tinkering). I know when one learns on a specific program they tend to stick to that program because that's what they were taught and they don't want to deal with the learning curve of switching from one NLVE to another or One DAW to another, etc. Though whenever I personally choose to take the step from Low Budget to Pro grade will probably be from doing a lot of content creation via Linux to OS X either by way of a Hackintosh or forking out the extra money for a mac.

Technically there is a brand that does ship with Ubuntu pre-installed. System76 to be exact (https://system76.com/).

Never heard of it, therefore in the eyes of a consumer it does not exsist in the eyes of a novice user.

Anyways I suppose if the artist doesn't have the time or wishes to profit from their work then yeah I suppose the expensive "pro grade" stuff is preferable.

Bingo. Time is money, wasting your time learning gimp is a waste of money. Money which can be spend on enough copies of Photoshop for the whole team.

Though the Indie/Low budget people can still have their cake and eat it too with out major repercussions (besides some tinkering).

Sounded good until you mentioned tinkering. Novice users don't like that

I know when one learns on a specific program they tend to stick to that program because that's what they were taught and they don't want to deal with the learning curve of switching from one NLVE to another or One DAW to another, etc. Though whenever I personally choose to take the step from Low Budget to Pro grade will probably be from doing a lot of content creation via Linux to OS X either by way of a Hackintosh or forking out the extra money for a mac.

Clearly you have some unexplained, unnecessary hate for Windows. It's a shame that the rest of the world doesn't feel that way, and a hackintosh would still be no better since you would still have piss poor driver support and things wouldn't work.

Ubuntu please!

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Clearly you have some unexplained, unnecessary hate for Windows. It's a shame that the rest of the world doesn't feel that way, and a hackintosh would still be no better since you would still have piss poor driver support and things wouldn't work.

Mostly the Price, imho Windows is overpriced (though it is getting sort of better) and that you can get similar stuff on other platforms even if it requires some work with at least for me is fine since I'm upgrading my laptop so doing extra work to save money doesn't really concern me since the upgrade on the laptop isn't straight forward anyways. I can produce similar quality stuff with out having to spend thousands of dollars on software with some extra steps. Which I mean I personally am willing to take then again I a.) am not going to make money or a lot of money on my work  and b.) Will only License through Creative Commons. 

Maybee SteamOS, now that it's close to its prime time? Many games are already announced to be released for it.

Maybee SteamOS, now that it's close to its prime time? Many games are already announced to be released for it.

SteamOS is a modified version of Debian (a popular Linux distro) setup to automatically launch into Steam big picture mode. Many people have had issues with SteamOS installation and honestly, you're better off just installing a proper Linux distro of your choice and installing Steam on it. That way you have a fully functional desktop you can use for many other normal PC things and all you have to do is fire up Steam and switch to big picture mode when ever you want the "console" type gaming experience from your couch.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Yes because I know literally nothing about Linux. Plz

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/322176-free-your-pc-learn-linux-embrace-the-future/

Check out the video series I posted in that thread. There are two so far and more to come. It's a good place to start if you're interested in learning more about Linux. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Something like this would be very interesting, just hope it wont get rushed if they ever decide to do this.