Video Request: "iSwitched to Linux"

john01dav

Slightly off topic. To all the just suggesting that linus should run Ubuntu, I have tried out both Ubuntu and Mint I can say that Ubuntu is VERY overrated. (Pause for the hate)

I feel that Mint presented a much better overall package that much better eased the transition to Windows. I also feel like Ubuntu took too many design cues from OsX resulting in what to me is a sub par UI.

By far I feel like Linus should use Mint. 

Unless you screw around with the Os and make modifications to Windows programs then no, it can't do more than my phone/tablet. In fact my Nexus 7 does quite a few things better than Linux, since it can watch Netflix, the Skype app doesn't suck and I can easily listen to Spotify.

Throwing around mean words really helps you point

Right, there aren't alternatives for Adobe/Autodesk/Ableton/PixelLogic software. Gimp and Blender have shit UI's so don't even bother suggesting those. The Ableton Push works best with their software, which isn't on Linux. Wacom doesn't have good Linux support, and their hardware also works best with Autodesk/Adobe/PixelLogic software. Getting that thing to both work on Linux properly and integrate with whatever I can get on Linux will be tricky. If you haven't used a paid product long enough you simply don't understand why using free-ware is a pain in the arse to many people and why artist will gladly shell out the money for Maya or Photoshop over Blender and Gimp. Once you get use to a certain workflow switching can be a pain and can easily hinder productivity. I can't switch to Linux simply because it isn't properly supported by the companies who's products I own, and I should have to screw around with the OS to get everything half working. Once I did manage to get Photoshop working on Linux, but it ran poorly and not everything worked as it aught to, so I said screw this and went back to Windows.

Yes, nor is it for anyone who actually wants an OS that is capable of real work.

I'll do what I want

That number is very small

Actually, me and many other people who use Windows over Linux because of poor support from companies don't have a choice.

Yes, it capable of browsing the internet, running servers and letting its user act like they are superior to Windows users. That's about it.

I have rebutles for all your comments, but clearly you have your own adgenda and your mind is already made up. Many of your claims are blatently false, but you won't listen to anything we say anyways, so I'm not going to waste my time.

Hate if you want. Do what you want. Have a nice day. :)

Slightly off topic. To all the just suggesting that linus should run Ubuntu, I have tried out both Ubuntu and Mint I can say that Ubuntu is VERY overrated. (Pause for the hate)

I feel that Mint presented a much better overall package that much better eased the transition to Windows. I also feel like Ubuntu took too many design cues from OsX resulting in what to me is a sub par UI.

By far I feel like Linus should use Mint. 

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a big fan of the unity interface in Ubuntu - but that can be changed. ;)

I too found Mint to be more stable, better looking (out of the box) and easier to use. Mint is my main go-to distro for myself (for now) and for recommending to new users coming from windows. I put Mint 17.1 on my mother-in-law's new PC I built for her back during the holidays. She's never touched or seen Linux before in her life. So far she has adapted to it very well and is enjoying it very much.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I have rebutles for all your comments, but clearly you have your own adgenda and your mind is already made up. Many of your claims are blatently false, but you won't listen to anything we say anyways, so I'm not going to waste my time.

They are by no means false. Please, find the Linux download of ZBrush, or the drivers for Wacom tablets or Ableton Push. Find me software that will work with my Ableton Push because clearly Ableton Live isn't on Linux. Please, explain to me how to quickly and efficiently switch from Photoshop to Gimp. Show me an open source alternative to any other Adobe CC or Autodesk product. Please, tell me because they seem to not exist. Also, show me a proper, Netflix, Skype or Spotify Client. While you are at it find me the files I need to play DX11 games. Finally, find me the plugins that will brings Libre Office's grammar/spell check up to par with the one in MS Office. Oh wait, none of those things exist because Linux sucks? Ok, not interested then. You can have your crappy OS and I'll have my properly working, fully-featured OS.

If my claims are false, then please, show me how to install ALL  of the software listed above with ease.

I'd love to see that but there are so many, so very different distros to choose from you can't possibly cover them all. And covering just one is hardly representative.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

This is a great video suggustion. I personally have dual booted linux but now that i game on pc it doesnt make sense to use it anymore. Hopefully developers soon realize the potential.

They are by no means false. Please, find the Linux download of ZBrush, or the drivers for Wacom tablets or Ableton Push. Find me software that will work with my Ableton Push because clearly Ableton Live isn't on Linux. Please, explain to me how to quickly and efficiently switch from Photoshop to Gimp. Show me an open source alternative to any other Adobe CC or Autodesk product. Please, tell me because they seem to not exist. Also, show me a proper, Netflix, Skype or Spotify Client. While you are at it find me the files I need to play DX11 games. Finally, find me the plugins that will brings Libre Office's grammar/spell check up to par with the one in MS Office. Oh wait, none of those things exist because Linux sucks? Ok, not interested then. You can have your crappy OS and I'll have my properly working, fully-featured OS.

If my claims are false, then please, show me how to install ALL  of the software listed above with ease.

I didn't say all your claims were false, I said many of them are.

Netflix works just fine on Linux. It can be setup very easily and is now natively supported.

Also, I said you could have all those windows-based programs you need and have them work properly on a Linux-based machine, but I never said it was "easily" done. I simply said it can be done. Also, saying something is "easy" is relative to the user. To some Linux users, such a process/method would be considered "easy".

I don't know why you're so against Linux when you simply have the choice to just use windows and be done with it. Why don't you just stop bashing Linux and move on? Or are you having too much fun trolling the thread? Replying with comments like, "I'll do what I want." doesn't gain you any respect or do anything to help your arguments.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Netflix works just fine on Linux. It can be setup very easily and is now natively supported.

This was only recently
Also, I said you could have all those windows-based programs you need and have them work properly on a Linux-based machine, but I never said it was "easily" done. I simply said it can be done. Also, saying something is "easy" is relative to the user. To some Linux users, such a process/method would be considered "easy".

Yeah and for everyone else it's unneeded pain in the ass that they would rather avoid by paying $100 for Windows.

I don't know why you're so against Linux when you simply have the choice to just use windows and be done with it.

Because it sucks.

Why don't you just stop bashing Linux and move on?

I don't move on

Or are you having too much fun trolling the thread?

No, but you Linux lovers are, thinking you are superior to Windows.

Replying with comments like, "I'll do what I want." doesn't gain you any respect or do anything to help your arguments.

I care so much.

Which distros would they review?

I thinking probably these ones -

•  Ubuntu
  • Elementary
  • Fedora
  • Mint
  • Arch (set up for GUI - and getting Cinnamon and or Unity and or Gnome 3)

(My favorite 3 would be Ubuntu [with unity tweaks], Elementary, and Fedora - Arch being runner up because while it does allow for like ultimate customization it's a little more cumbersome.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Couldn't agree more. I'm not a big fan of the unity interface in Ubuntu - but that can be changed. ;)

I too found Mint to be more stable, better looking (out of the box) and easier to use. Mint is my main go-to distro for myself (for now) and for recommending to new users coming from windows. I put Mint 17.1 on my mother-in-law's new PC I built for her back during the holidays. She's never touched or seen Linux before in her life. So far she has adapted to it very well and is enjoying it very much.

After running it for awhile I even go as far as too say it's possibly even better suited for new computer users squashing that common idea that ALL Linux distros are arcane, technically complex nightmare of loose code and command line. 

I'll do what I want.

the only thing it is good for.

So does Windows, what's the point?

Wouldn't be true if everyone used it, because then the virus makers would be targeting Linux, not Windows.

Yeah, and I've had nothing but software problems with my Nexus 7

First, That is really childish, I am simply trying to explain

Second, No numerous people use Linux as there everyday desktop OS, works fine for them. In fact it is a common choice for software developers.

Third, It does not compared to Linux, get your facts right.

Fourth, Yes there would be more viruses, but still less than Windows due to it more secure design

Fifth, You most likely configured something incorrectly, causing these's issues, please explain what is going wrong, I would be happy to help

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

First, That is really childish, I am simply trying to explain

Second, No numerous people use Linux as there everyday desktop OS, works fine for them. In fact it is a common choice for software developers.

Third, It does not compared to Linux, get your facts right.

Fourth, Yes there would be more viruses, but still less than Windows due to it more secure design

Fifth, You most likely configured something incorrectly, causing these's issues, please explain what is going wrong, I would be happy to help

At this point I would save your breath. This person clearly doesn't want help. You and I have both tried to help them in a civilized manner, only to be met with immature behavior/comments in response. I don't have time to help people like that.

He doesn't like Linux and thinks it sucks. That's the bottom line for this person, regardless of what anyone says. If he doesn't want to listen to reason, then let him be. -_-

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

While I don't completely disagree with your statements, I do disagree with your last statement:

Literally 90% of the issues raised in your arguments are due to poor support from hardware manufacturers and software developers. This has nothing to do with the OS being fully featured or not...

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

He already said why he hasnt done it yet. Wish i remwmbered what he said so i could quote :(

But go on twitch archive to see if after party is on there. That's where he gave his reason for not doing the Linux switch video.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

At this point I would save your breath. This person clearly doesn't want help. You and I have both tried to help them in a civilized manner, only to be met with immature behavior/comments in response. I don't have time to help people like that.

He doesn't like Linux and thinks it sucks. That's the bottom line for this person, regardless of what anyone says. If he doesn't want to listen to reason, then let him be. -_-

Agreed

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

While I don't completely disagree with your statements, I do disagree with your last statement:

Literally 90% of the issues raised in your arguments are due to poor support from hardware manufacturers and software developers. This has nothing to do with the OS being fully featured or not...

However, it has EVERYTHING to do with Linux being the primary OS of an extremely small percentage of users. 

I didn't say all your claims were false, I said many of them are.

I don't know why you're so against Linux when you simply have the choice to just use windows and be done with it. Why don't you just stop bashing Linux and move on? Or are you having too much fun trolling the thread? Replying with comments like, "I'll do what I want." doesn't gain you any respect or do anything to help your arguments.

Netflix happened less than a year ago. Don't act like it's been supported for a long time and was an easy thing to get working a year ago. 

However, it has EVERYTHING to do with Linux being the primary OS of an extremely small percentage of users. 

Linux just isn't ready for a mass exodus of windows. You're saying linux is a small percentage of users therefore there isn't a lot of support for most software/hardware when in reality Linux doesn't have support for a lot of software/hardware BECAUSE it's a small percentage of users. Honestly the only reason I don't use linux as a main OS is due to League of Legends not having a Linux version. I could get by with everything else, but I'm not following a guide with 50+ steps that doesn't work at the end and having to re-install windows (this has happened multiple times I've tried to rid myself of windows). 

Linux just isn't ready for a mass exodus of windows. You're saying linux is a small percentage of users therefore there isn't a lot of support for most software/hardware when in reality Linux doesn't have support for a lot of software/hardware BECAUSE it's a small percentage of users. Honestly the only reason I don't use linux as a main OS is due to League of Legends not having a Linux version. I could get by with everything else, but I'm not following a guide with 50+ steps that doesn't work at the end and having to re-install windows (this has happened multiple times I've tried to rid myself of windows). 

"Linux doesn't have support for a lot of software/hardware BECAUSE it's a small percentage of users"

What? Your repeating yourself, that's exactly what my point was. 

"Linux doesn't have support for a lot of software/hardware BECAUSE it's a small percentage of users"

What? Your repeating yourself, that's exactly what my point was. 

Double edged sword. 

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

i r8 8/8 m8. Would watch. More interested in that than the whole iSwitched Apple shizzle.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Netflix happened less than a year ago. Don't act like it's been supported for a long time and was an easy thing to get working a year ago. 

I'm not acting like it's been supported for a long time. The person I replied to simply claimed Netflix didn't work [properly] at all on Linux - as of right now. The truth is Netflix does work properly on Linux. Whether it received native support last year or last week is irrelevant. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

This wouldn't work because of how many Linux distros there are.
Linux nerds are gonna be like "Get Unbuntu no get Kubuntu no get Slackware no get Debian no get Redhat no get Kali no get Fedora no get NetRunner etc etc". It will be a shit storm.