fan in bottom of case (for Linus)

enRodjavel

Just had to show this to the PPL (Linus xD)

Someone using the fanspot on the bottom of the case =D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26978-fractal-xl-r2-build/

i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

That's a pretty good idea because then there is fresh air blowing at the graphics card :D

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I've been using a bottom fan in my case since I built up my computer. It actually drops the GPU temperature a couple degrees because of the fresh air it gets. 
IMG_3738.jpg

For those who are going to put a fan in the bottom: get a dust filter! All the dust that collects on the floor/desk gets sucked into it.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I also use it, simply because I had a spare Noctua fan :D

It would be a waste not to use it.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I also use it... I think that's it's pretty common.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Well its common if you do it, but its really not that common from what I have seen.

One question for you with bottom fans. Do you experience more or less dust accumulating in the dust cover and do you have your computer on the floor or on your desk? I have a system with 3 bottom fans (Fortress FT02) and its on my desk and can readily see the extra dust that accumulates in the fan filters and on the top of the fans. Partially think its due to the fans blowing the air up and the weight of the dust just falls back down on the fans (mainly edges). Of course I have not done a scientific study on it but just from my observation from the slew of non-bottom fan systems I have to deal with. Then again, the Fortress FT02 is a total vent out the top case type, so that might be the reason again. I just with the case had the same three fans at the top to push all that air out as well, push/pull at its best.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I also use the bottom fan mount in my R4, but I don't have pics of my rig to show off lol.

Well its common if you do it, but its really not that common from what I have seen.

One question for you with bottom fans. Do you experience more or less dust accumulating in the dust cover and do you have your computer on the floor or on your desk? I have a system with 3 bottom fans (Fortress FT02) and its on my desk and can readily see the extra dust that accumulates in the fan filters and on the top of the fans. Partially think its due to the fans blowing the air up and the weight of the dust just falls back down on the fans (mainly edges). Of course I have not done a scientific study on it but just from my observation from the slew of non-bottom fan systems I have to deal with. Then again, the Fortress FT02 is a total vent out the top case type, so that might be the reason again. I just with the case had the same three fans at the top to push all that air out as well, push/pull at its best.

In my experience, the bottom filter on my R4 with a downward facing PSU and a Noctua AF-14 FLX in pull doesn't accumulate that much dust, especially compared to the front and side filters for intakes. In fact, when I clean my filters, I usually only clean that bottom filter once for every three cleanings and it's about as dusty as the others when I clean them 3x as much. Not scientific in the least, I know, but that's my experience.

As soon as he said that in the video, I looked at my bottom mounted fan. The only reason I have a bottom mounted fan is because my front lower fan has a drive cage in the way.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

i have two 140's in the bottom of my case blowing through a radiator.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I had two AF120 in the bottom of my case once, until I noticed they'd bring in sooo much dust [regardless of the filter] that they were simply counter-productive.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I've always thought about attaching fans in the front 5 1/4" bays using a couple of zip-ties.

Think about it, it would deliver air straight to you cpu fan while also blowing over and cooling your ram a little bit.

One question for you with bottom fans. Do you experience more or less dust accumulating in the dust cover and do you have your computer on the floor or on your desk?

I have my case on the floor and the bottom fan was bringing tons of dust into the case, but a cheap airfilter from another case I have fixed that problem.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Might plan to try this and see if I will get better gpu temps because I have an extra fan.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Just had to show this to the PPL (Linus xD)

Someone using the fanspot on the bottom of the case =D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26978-fractal-xl-r2-build/

I use the fran slott on the bottom of my R4 all the time. It is great. Gives some fresh air to my GPU and does not make that much noise. It is filtered as well so it barely brings in any dust at all. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

i have one in my case as well i use it as well

I have that psdu in a 700 watt in my server. It is a good little unit I think. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Well I just got owned.

I am afraid so Linus. It lowers my gpu temps by about 4-6 degrees centigrade to be honest. 

I was doing this for a while in my NZXT Phantom because that case had terrible airflow.

I don't do it because i don't have a dust grate at the bottom.. Would suck up a crap load of dust from the floor wouldn't it?