Torrent promising huge amounts of leaked data is now live

Ehh, what? Mega is, according to the International System of Units, equal to 106. 1000MB == 1GB. 1024MiB == 1GiB.

Again, it's just that Windows incorrectly says GB instead of GiB.

How many meters is one kilometer? 1000

How many bytes is one kilobyte? 1000

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+mebibyte

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+megabyte

So again, 1000 Megabytes is 1 Gigabyte. 1024 Mebibytes is 1 Gibibytes.

Further proof:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Can we please leave this now?

Thanks for all the help correcting this, you did a good job and saved me from having to do it. XD :)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Ehh, what? Mega is, according to the International System of Units, equal to 106. 1000MB == 1GB. 1024MiB == 1GiB.

Further proof:

Never heard of this, wasn't taught of this anywhere in my IT classes not even at college. And I thought that it's hard to explain the difference between MB/s and Mb/s, which for whatever reason for some is impossible to understand. If I would have to explain MiB and GiB they would look at me like I'm talking about an unknown language.  :lol: .

As a side note: I remember that on XP with Romanian language pack had it correctly with GiB and MiB; I always thought that that is how they say it in Romanian. Seems I was wrong.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

Does anyone have some password breaking tools. I had one but it melted my CPU and GPU quicker than you could turn it off. It wasn't too bad it was only a 560tI and some old intel CPU though.

amd gpus usually do better at brute force attacks (on the same scale of bitcoin mining )

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Further proof:

Found a good explanation of "why" this is as it is. It's a bit long but informative:

A kilobyte is actually 1000 bytes. "kilo-" is an SI prefix meaning "1000".

1 km = 1000 meters

1 kg = 1000 grams

1 kB = 1000 bytes

When dealing with computer memory, the addresses for each memory location are typically binary numbers, which means the total number of addresses is a power of 2. It makes the most sense to use all of these positions, so the total capacity of a memory will typically be a power of two.

Since 210 is equal to 1,024, it is often approximated as "1 kilobyte" in speech, but this is just a shorthand, not a real definition.

RAM manufacturers treat this as a literal meaning instead of an approximation, though, and extend this to higher powers, which conflicts with the way units are used elsewhere. So a "1 GB" RAM IC has 230 = 1,073,741,824 bytes instead of 1,000,000,000 bytes, a 7% error. On the other hand, a 1 GB Flash memory actually does have around 1,000,000,000 bytes, as you would expect.

"kB" or "KB" can mean either 1024 bytes or 1000 bytes, depending on who you ask. Both meanings have been in use since the early days of computing, confusing users ever since.

kilo- means 1000, and has for centuries, so where did 1024 come from? The answer is binary addressing.

Your basic transistor, the foundation for all things computer, has 2 states (on/off), which is known as binary. So modern computers of all types use the binary numbering system (0/1 = off/on).

Memory addresses in computers are a number of bits wide. For instance, the old 6502 microprocessor had memory addresses 16 bits 'wide'.

With 10 bits, for instance, a computer can address 210 memory locations, which is 1024. With 16 bits, a computer can address 216 memory locations. So the number of memory locations is always a power of two. It wouldn't make much sense to make memory chips that don't use all of the addressable locations, so all memory is in powers of two. (This doesn't apply to other computer components, however. Hard drives, disk drives, DVDs, and other media, clock speeds and data rates and networking speeds are all measured in powers of 10.)

But 1024 is 210 (2 to the 10th power), conveniently close to 103 (1000). In computers, base-2 shows up over and over again. It's easier to approximate and say "1k" instead of 1024. 1 kilo is normally 1000, as per the metric system's prefixes.

In this case, the next higher size of memory chips was often 2x or 4x the previous size. This pulled folks away from the normal base-10 thinking toward base-2 thinking ... and we ended up with something that sounds like it is based on powers of 10, but is really based on powers of 2.

Officially, 1000 is the only valid meaning, and "k" was used by engineers for 1024 just as an approximation. (2048 bytes is equal to 2.0 kB, after all.) Over time, this approximation became used by marketing types as if it was actually defined as 1024, rather than just being used as an approximation.

In 1968, for instance, Donald Morrison talked about how it was confusing to tell laymen that doubling a 32K memory produced a 65K memory. He proposed to end the confusion by using the Greek letter κ (kappa) to mean 1024, but this never stuck. Instead, people started using capital K to mean 1024, which further increased confusion instead of helping.

Nowadays however, there is a new prefix to be used for the non-standard meaning:

1 kibibyte (KiB) is 1024 bytes

1 kilobyte (kB) is 1000 bytes

So too for the old megabyte which was 220 bytes:

1 mebibyte (MiB) is 1,048,576 bytes

1 megabyte (MB) is 1,000,000 bytes.

Higher units like terabyte have always been used with the 1000x meaning except in rare cases likely because RAM doesn't go that high (yet).

Taken from here.

@zeros

Honestly, I find the -bibyte names weird and silly, and likely won't use them myself unless explicitly explaining this to someone. I think the whole concept of there being two different ones will never stick to the layman and only be known and understood by people who deal with it often (like IT guys) and people like us. And not all of us will know that. Sort of making it pointless.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Found a good explanation of "why" this is as it is. It's a bit long but informative:

A kilobyte is actually 1000 bytes. "kilo-" is an SI prefix meaning "1000".

1 km = 1000 meters

1 kg = 1000 grams

1 kB = 1000 bytes

When dealing with computer memory, the addresses for each memory location are typically binary numbers, which means the total number of addresses is a power of 2. It makes the most sense to use all of these positions, so the total capacity of a memory will typically be a power of two.

Since 210 is equal to 1,024, it is often approximated as "1 kilobyte" in speech, but this is just a shorthand, not a real definition.

RAM manufacturers treat this as a literal meaning instead of an approximation, though, and extend this to higher powers, which conflicts with the way units are used elsewhere. So a "1 GB" RAM IC has 230 = 1,073,741,824 bytes instead of 1,000,000,000 bytes, a 7% error. On the other hand, a 1 GB Flash memory actually does have around 1,000,000,000 bytes, as you would expect.

"kB" or "KB" can mean either 1024 bytes or 1000 bytes, depending on who you ask. Both meanings have been in use since the early days of computing, confusing users ever since.

kilo- means 1000, and has for centuries, so where did 1024 come from? The answer is binary addressing.

Your basic transistor, the foundation for all things computer, has 2 states (on/off), which is known as binary. So modern computers of all types use the binary numbering system (0/1 = off/on).

Memory addresses in computers are a number of bits wide. For instance, the old 6502 microprocessor had memory addresses 16 bits 'wide'.

With 10 bits, for instance, a computer can address 210 memory locations, which is 1024. With 16 bits, a computer can address 216 memory locations. So the number of memory locations is always a power of two. It wouldn't make much sense to make memory chips that don't use all of the addressable locations, so all memory is in powers of two. (This doesn't apply to other computer components, however. Hard drives, disk drives, DVDs, and other media, clock speeds and data rates and networking speeds are all measured in powers of 10.)

But 1024 is 210 (2 to the 10th power), conveniently close to 103 (1000). In computers, base-2 shows up over and over again. It's easier to approximate and say "1k" instead of 1024. 1 kilo is normally 1000, as per the metric system's prefixes.

In this case, the next higher size of memory chips was often 2x or 4x the previous size. This pulled folks away from the normal base-10 thinking toward base-2 thinking ... and we ended up with something that sounds like it is based on powers of 10, but is really based on powers of 2.

Officially, 1000 is the only valid meaning, and "k" was used by engineers for 1024 just as an approximation. (2048 bytes is equal to 2.0 kB, after all.) Over time, this approximation became used by marketing types as if it was actually defined as 1024, rather than just being used as an approximation.

In 1968, for instance, Donald Morrison talked about how it was confusing to tell laymen that doubling a 32K memory produced a 65K memory. He proposed to end the confusion by using the Greek letter κ (kappa) to mean 1024, but this never stuck. Instead, people started using capital K to mean 1024, which further increased confusion instead of helping.

Nowadays however, there is a new prefix to be used for the non-standard meaning:

1 kibibyte (KiB) is 1024 bytes

1 kilobyte (kB) is 1000 bytes

So too for the old megabyte which was 220 bytes:

1 mebibyte (MiB) is 1,048,576 bytes

1 megabyte (MB) is 1,000,000 bytes.

Higher units like terabyte have always been used with the 1000x meaning except in rare cases likely because RAM doesn't go that high (yet).

Taken from here.

@zeros

Honestly, I find the -bibyte names weird and silly, and likely won't use them myself unless explicitly explaining this to someone. I think the whole concept of there being two different ones will never stick to the layman and only be known and understood by people who deal with it often (like IT guys) and people like us. And not all of us will know that. Sort of making it pointless.

Ha I read it all, understood it all. Not saying that I can't explain it to someone else, but dam' not many can understand what this about. It's confusing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Ha I read it all, understood it all. Not saying that I can't explain it to someone else, but dam' not many can understand what this about. It's confusing.

Well, I don't really see it as confusing. I see it more so as unnecessary to fix. It doesn't propose that big of a problem for either laymen or it guys. It's just an interesting fact to me and nothing more. Kinda why I called myself the math grammar nazi. I was correcting something I knew wasn't necessary to correct, but was more so doing it for fun than anything else.

Anyway, on topic (finally):

I may download this, but with a 375 KB/s connection (If I can't upgrade soon, looking into it), I don't think I want to dedicate my entire bandwidth to this. 

I have games to play/download dang it (lost a 120GB HDD with many of my Steam games on it). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, I don't really see it as confusing. I see it more so as unnecessary to fix. It doesn't propose that big of a problem for either laymen or it guys. It's just an interesting fact to me and nothing more. Kinda why I called myself the math grammar nazi. I was correcting something I knew wasn't necessary to correct, but was more so doing it for fun than anything else.

Anyway, on topic (finally):

I may download this, but with a 375 KB/s connection (If I can't upgrade soon, looking into it), I don't think I want to dedicate my entire bandwidth to this. 

I have games to play/download dang it (lost a 120GB HDD with many of my Steam games on it). 

As I already said somewhere in this topic I could download it in 6-8days but don't have the space, one of my HDD is waiting for RMA but I wont send until I can back it up somewhere (it's a 2TB drive and 1.5TB full).

As I already said somewhere in this topic I could download it in 6-8days but don't have the space, one of my HDD is waiting for RMA but I wont send until I can back it up somewhere (it's a 2TB drive and 1.5TB full).

Getting a 4TB in the mail today for my home NAS.

*winning*

† Christian Member †

Still if you where really lucky then there is no reason why the first password tried couldn't be the correct one. It's incredibly unlikely but it could still happen. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Getting a 4TB in the mail today for my home NAS.

*winning*

So you'll be able to tell us what the file contains once your done downloading it? :D

still no progress.... waiting...waiting..waiting for that password to show up smewhere

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So you'll be able to tell us what the file contains once your done downloading it? :D

No. I'd have to have the password first.

The file is 1.7TB big. I have a download speed of 375 KB/s.

Assuming it uses normal Kilobytes and not.... *shudder* Kibibytes (I hate saying that, with a passion), it's 1,700,000,000 (1.7 billion) Kilobytes.

1.7 billion divided by 375 means it will take 28,333,333.333..... seconds or 472,222.222.... minutes or 7,870.370370.... hours or 327.93 days to download.

Lol screw that. I aint dedicating my entire internet speed to this for nearly a year.

I'll let the guys in Kansas City or Austin download this (they have Google Fiber, so 100 Mb/s up/down. They download 12.5 MB/s

1,700,000 MB at 12.5 MB/s would take 136,000 seconds, or 2,266.666.... minutes, or 37.777.... hours, or 1.5740740...... days.

Yeah, I'll leave it to them.

And that's assuming there are enough seeders to actually give out that much upload speed.

Which, if someone in one of those cities does get it, that's a loooot of upload speed for the rest of the torrent guys.

† Christian Member †

1.7 billion divided by 375 means it will take 28,333,333.333..... seconds or 472,222.222.... minutes or 7,870.370370.... hours or 327.93 days to download.

omg... Ok, yea I don't blame you for not downloading it, lol.

Uh VItalius, I have about the same speed as you and it'd take less than 100 days for me.

attachicon.gif1.7TB.png

.... Hmmm.

Where did  my math go wrong? :|

† Christian Member †

No. I'd have to have the password first.

The file is 1.7TB big. I have a download speed of 375 KB/s.

Assuming it uses normal Kilobytes and not.... *shudder* Kibibytes (I hate saying that, with a passion), it's 1,700,000,000 (1.7 billion) Kilobytes.

Lol screw that. I aint dedicating my entire internet speed to this for nearly a year.

I'll let the guys in Kansas City or Austin download this (they have Google Fiber, so 100 Mb/s up/down. They download 12.5 MB/s

1,700,000 MB at 12.5 MB/s would take 136,000 seconds, or 2,266.666.... minutes, or 37.777.... hours, or 1.5740740...... days.

Yeah, I'll leave it to them.

And that's assuming there are enough seeders to actually give out that much upload speed.

Which, if someone in one of those cities does get it, that's a loooot of upload speed for the rest of the torrent guys.

People with Google Fiber are getting 1000Mb, which is 125MB download.

People with Google Fiber are getting 1000Mb, which is 125MB download.

Oh, right, forgot. Gigabit, not 100 Mb. My bad.

So take their time and divide it by 10. So, 0.15740740... of a day or so, or 4 hours. Approximately.

† Christian Member †

Oh, right, forgot. Gigabit, not 100 Mb. My bad.

So take their time and divide it by 10. So, 0.15740740... of a day or so, or 4 hours. Approximately.

I wish I had that kind of connection....

I wish I had that kind of connection....

Very seriously considering moving to Austin just for the internet.

† Christian Member †

Very seriously considering moving to Austin just for the internet.

I'm with you there man. Definitely worth that kind of speed. 

I don't think you understand how powerful AES-256 is. They recently discovered a flaw in AES which makes it 4 times as easy to crack. Here is a quite from the researchers who found it:

So let's assume it was an AES-128 container.

If we had 1,000,000,000,000 machines and all of them could test 1,000,000,000 keys a second, it would take 2,000,000,000 YEARS to crack.

Oh, but that's AES-128. This is AES-256... The thing with encryption algorithms is that the strength of an encryption relative to the key length is an exponential growth. Each additional bit doubles the strength of the key. So to return to our previous examples, with our trillion computers all testing a billion keys a second, it would take 8,000,000,000 years to crack AES 130, and 12,000,000,000 to crack AES 131.

So how much harder is AES-256 to crack than AES-128? Take AES-128, and then multiply it by this number:

That's over 340 undecillion times harder to crack. So unless I've made some error somewhere, it would be like this:

If we had 1,000,000,000,000 machines and all of them could test 1,000,000,000 keys a second, it would take 680,564,733,841,876,926,926,749,214,863,536,422,912,000,000,000 years to crack it.

680,564,733,841,876,926,926,749,214,863,536,422,912,000,000,000 - time it would take to crack with all those computers, in years.

13,770,000,000 - The age of the universe in years.

This is with the flaw by the way. Without it, it would be 4 times as long.

Holy shit

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I don't think you understand how powerful AES-256 is. They recently discovered a flaw in AES which makes it 4 times as easy to crack. Here is a quite from the researchers who found it:

So let's assume it was an AES-128 container.

If we had 1,000,000,000,000 machines and all of them could test 1,000,000,000 keys a second, it would take 2,000,000,000 YEARS to crack.

Oh, but that's AES-128. This is AES-256... The thing with encryption algorithms is that the strength of an encryption relative to the key length is an exponential growth. Each additional bit doubles the strength of the key. So to return to our previous examples, with our trillion computers all testing a billion keys a second, it would take 8,000,000,000 years to crack AES 130, and 12,000,000,000 to crack AES 131.

So how much harder is AES-256 to crack than AES-128? Take AES-128, and then multiply it by this number:

That's over 340 undecillion times harder to crack. So unless I've made some error somewhere, it would be like this:

If we had 1,000,000,000,000 machines and all of them could test 1,000,000,000 keys a second, it would take 680,564,733,841,876,926,926,749,214,863,536,422,912,000,000,000 years to crack it.

680,564,733,841,876,926,926,749,214,863,536,422,912,000,000,000 - time it would take to crack with all those computers, in years.

13,770,000,000 - The age of the universe in years.

This is with the flaw by the way. Without it, it would be 4 times as long.

Mother of God D:

Mother of God D:

or holy Big Bang, depending on the personal beliefs LOL

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

watch the password be "password"

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015