Torrent promising huge amounts of leaked data is now live

Kinda curious now if it's true... does anyone dare to try downloading it and opening it?

Challange accepted, won't download it but i'll snoop the file names.

*edit: Can't snoop it for some reason. Must be zipped :(

vaTKp9L.png

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I have 5TB free, but I totally don't give a rats about downloading it myself. I could never open it. Am curious to see what plays out from all of this though. I highly doubt he would be raided and put in jail if there wasn't real evidence against him. Its obvious he is a clever and good hacker, at the very least. 

1.7 TB = 1,740.8 GB = 1,782,580 MB

1,782,580 MB / 4MB/s = 445,645 seconds

445,645 / 60 = 7427.42 minutes

7427.42 / 60 = 123.79 hours

123.79 / 24 = 5.16 days

= 5 days

That's a bit of difference imo. By like 5-6 hours. Or about 3-4% which is noticeable.

If you are wondering why I corrected you, 1TB = 1024GB, 1GB = 1024MB and so on, which adds up if you convert more than 1 size or with large (greater than 10) numbers.

.... Grammar Nazi of the math world.

Well, no...

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024 MiB

Windows labels it wrongly, but for example some Linux distros correctly use the GiB prefix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

You're not a very good grammar nazi.

wow 105 days at 1.5mbps, i don't need to know what is in there that badly.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Challange accepted, won't download it but i'll snoop the file names.

*edit: Can't snoop it for some reason. Must be zipped :(

vaTKp9L.png

You will not be able to see individual file names because it is an encrypted volume, and without the key it will take years to crack the encryption unless the password is short or dictionary words. The contents of the file could be nothing and just an empty volume that is why i am not wasting my time downloading it at this stage.  Although i am interested in how this pans out.  

You will not be able to see individual file names because it is an encrypted volume, and without the key it will take years to crack the encryption unless the password is short or dictionary words. The contents of the file could be nothing and just an empty volume that is why i am not wasting my time downloading it at this stage.  Although i am interested in how this pans out.  

A million pictures entitled "Penis.jpeg" ^__^

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Well, no...

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024 MiB

Windows labels it wrongly, but for example some Linux distros correctly use the GiB prefix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

You're not a very good grammar nazi.

Windows measures storage in orders of 1024 and not 1000. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/123268/windows-hard-drive-wrong-capacity/

So when it comes to storing things, I do the same since it's likely done the same with whatever stores the data, and thereby, the data is larger than you might think.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Again, it's just a password protected archive file. As someone described it earlier, until we get the password it's like downloading a 1.7TB brick. I am not even getting good speeds (fired my client up again to check seeders, and it's currently at 15, so 1 more than before). And no, we won't be able to break the encryption. Hopefully the password will be released soon, and hopefully the archive do contains everything we think it contains.

Didn't even see you quoting me :D. If I would have the space maybe I would download it if it would download at 94Mbps, but I doubt anyone is sharing at that speed. Also, yeah until the password is out, it's useless. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

So when it comes to storing things, I do the same since it's likely done the same with whatever stores the data, and thereby, the data is larger than you might think.

last time I checked, everything except windows measures it as 1000.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Yes that's exactly what I said. Windows says it is using GB (1000MB) when it is actually using GiB (1024).

It isn't Windows that measures storage, it's maths that measures the storage, 1000Mb isn't 1Gb anywhere, it's just the way that it is advertised.

last time I checked, everything except windows measures it as 1000.

I've only had extensive use with Windows in regards to storage systems, so I wouldn't know that. Sorry.

Yes that's exactly what I said. Windows says it is using GB (1000MB) when it is actually using GiB (1024).

Yes, my bad. I must've still been half asleep when responding to that. 

It isn't Windows that measures storage, it's maths that measures the storage, 1000Mb isn't 1Gb anywhere, it's just the way that it is advertised.

True.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Ehh, what? Mega is, according to the International System of Units, equal to 106. 1000MB == 1GB. 1024MiB == 1GiB.

Again, it's just that Windows incorrectly says GB instead of GiB.

How many meters is one kilometer? 1000

How many bytes is one kilobyte? 1000

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+mebibyte

1 mebibyte

Unit conversions:

1024KiB (kibibytes)

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1+megabyte

1 megabyte:

Unit conversions:

1000kB (kilobyte)

So again, 1000 Megabytes is 1 Gigabyte. 1024 Mebibytes is 1 Gibibytes.

Further proof:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Can we please leave this now?

So, whose going to go through and find all the good information in 1.7tb of data?

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Uh...if it's an archive, wouldn't the 1.7TB be more like 3TB+ uncompressed?

So the requirements just went a wee bit higher than expected.

You had to ruin it didn't you! :)

Quit bickering and someone tell us all what's inside. -_-

:P

I call BS on this, who's stupid enough to make an "insurance" file 1.7TB big & put a password on it -_-

agreed...

totally bogus imo

if hes in jail hows he going to release the password? ._.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It would around 3.9 hour to download this on google fiber that's pretty cool   :o

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom) 

Your forgetting that the first try could be the correct password.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Might not be compressed. If it is then yeah, you're gonna need 2TB+.

if hes in jail hows he going to release the password? ._.

The password might be released if he doesn't login for an even longer period of time.

Him: If you arrest me, I am going to release all the files I have.

Police: Yeah right...

*files are released but password protected.

Him: The password will be released if I don't get my stuff back.

It's like a warning shot.

Your forgetting that the first try could be the correct password.

Oh right. That huge number was just the worst case scenario. On average it will only need half as much time, which is still several magnitudes longer than the current age of the universe.

I don't think you understand how powerful AES-256 is. They recently discovered a flaw in AES which makes it 4 times as easy to crack. Here is a quite from the researchers who found it:

So let's assume it was an AES-128 container.

If we had 1,000,000,000,000 machines and all of them could test 1,000,000,000 keys a second, it would take 2,000,000,000 YEARS to crack.

Oh, but that's AES-128. This is AES-256... The thing with encryption algorithms is that the strength of an encryption relative to the key length is an exponential growth. Each additional bit doubles the strength of the key. So to return to our previous examples, with our trillion computers all testing a billion keys a second, it would take 8,000,000,000 years to crack AES 130, and 12,000,000,000 to crack AES 131.

So how much harder is AES-256 to crack than AES-128? Take AES-128, and then multiply it by this number:

That's over 340 undecillion times harder to crack. So unless I've made some error somewhere, it would be like this:

If we had 1,000,000,000,000 machines and all of them could test 1,000,000,000 keys a second, it would take 680,564,733,841,876,926,926,749,214,863,536,422,912,000,000,000 years to crack it.

680,564,733,841,876,926,926,749,214,863,536,422,912,000,000,000 - time it would take to crack with all those computers, in years.

13,770,000,000 - The age of the universe in years.

This is with the flaw by the way. Without it, it would be 4 times as long.

i know feel safe knowing my 'normal' encryption is strong

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

i know feel safe knowing my 'normal' encryption is strong

It is only as strong as the password as a weak passwords can be cracked in minutes or even seconds.