Torrent promising huge amounts of leaked data is now live

Heyyyyy.... anyone here have Google fibre???     :P

Linus has 10Gb ethernet.  :P

That's just locally. He doesn't have a 10Gbit connection to the Internet (I think).

That's just locally. He doesn't have a 10Gbit connection to the Internet (I think).

No, I think that's what he meant. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to stream as well or upload videos as quickly.

No, I think that's what he meant. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to stream as well or upload videos as quickly.

You're wrong.... Linus streams in 720p for some time because of weird bandwith related/xsplit issues. Videos can be uploaded as private files and then he can decide when to make them available. Anyway, 10 Gb internet afaik is available in Japain only.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I am 99.9% sure that he does not have 10Gigabit/s download speed, or upload (most likely not even 10Gigabit up/down combined). He had like 50Mbps or something along those limes at his house, and then he had 10Gbit/s between certain things like his computer and the NAS.

I am 99.9% sure that he does not have 10Gigabit/s download speed, or upload (most likely not even 10Gigabit up/down combined). He had like 50Mbps or something along those limes at his house, and then he had 10Gbit/s between certain things like his computer and the NAS.

Even if he doesn't, he can probably still store the 1.7TB file.

Lol... That's his LAN, not 10gig connection from his ISP dude.

No. I'd have to have the password first.

The file is 1.7TB big. I have a download speed of 375 KB/s.

Assuming it uses normal Kilobytes and not.... *shudder* Kibibytes (I hate saying that, with a passion), it's 1,700,000,000 (1.7 billion) Kilobytes.

1.7 billion divided by 375 means it will take 28,333,333.333..... seconds or 472,222.222.... minutes or 7,870.370370.... hours or 327.93 days to download.

Lol screw that. I aint dedicating my entire internet speed to this for nearly a year.

I'll let the guys in Kansas City or Austin download this (they have Google Fiber, so 100 Mb/s up/down. They download 12.5 MB/s

1,700,000 MB at 12.5 MB/s would take 136,000 seconds, or 2,266.666.... minutes, or 37.777.... hours, or 1.5740740...... days.

Yeah, I'll leave it to them.

And that's assuming there are enough seeders to actually give out that much upload speed.

Which, if someone in one of those cities does get it, that's a loooot of upload speed for the rest of the torrent guys.

I have 100Mbps UP/Down offered by my ISP (actually they don't even say what the UP speed should be, it's really vague). But from that speed I get on Speedtest.net 94Mbps Down and 75Mbps Up(for up this is the best case it goes between 68 and 75Mbps...) Anyways I reached these speeds in MB/s on uTorrent, which for me would mean 1700GB/0.0118Gb/s = 40h if it would go full speed all the time :D. (11.8Mbps = 0.0118Gbps)

With 10Gbps you could download it in just 23min :lol:  and with 1Gbps in 3h47min.

That is his home network, only between all the computers in his house. I think he has 200Mbps down now, he upgraded it from 50Mbps. Only problem he has/had was upload speeds and bandwidth.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

If only I had more space on my HDD and a xtreme connection.  Just the mere thought of top secret next gen info and source codes gives me the giggles.

The hardest part of this download... After I shutdown my PC or change some things and resume downloading I need to wait hours for it to check the file.

If I didn't have to constantly check the file, I'd be a decent way into the download.

For being such a great h4xor, why couldn't he have placed it into numerous rar'd files with par recoveries if some get corrupted. Would hate to download the entire thing only to find several gigs are corrupted and the file is useless.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

That is his home network, only between all the computers in his house. I think he has 200Mbps down now, he upgraded it from 50Mbps. Only problem he has/had was upload speeds and bandwidth.

If that's true it's still over four times as fast as the download speeds we get here in Toronto.

Don't worry, we can use Titan and China's new super computer to crack the pass! ::P

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Wow, that is crazy, 1.7tb of info is just ridiculous. Ive had the same PC for 6 years and i am barely close to filling up 300gb of documents. there must be some really interesting stuff in there. 

well I'm about to lose 3.28TB of data because Windows 8 Storage Spaces just had a hissy fit

see http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/27635-windows-8-storage-spaces-cant-remove-faulty-drive/

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

Well, no...

1GB = 1000MB

1GiB = 1024 MiB

Windows labels it wrongly, but for example some Linux distros correctly use the GiB prefix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

You're not a very good grammar nazi.

Lol

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

If that's true it's still over four times as fast as the download speeds we get here in Toronto.

Yeah, I have Cogeco and I get 65 Mb/s but I think Linus has Shaw or something, which is probably close to 250 Mb/s. It's kind of dumb that Rogers, Shaw, Bell and Cogeco kinda screwed us over with a duopoly in internet service. Bell + Cogeco on the East coast, and Rogers + Shaw on the West.

• 3 weeks later...

So, where are our answers? 

So, where are our answers? 

It was pooorn...

Also, thread necroing. =P You have been reported! D=<

...jk

It was pooorn...

Also, thread necroing. =P You have been reported! D=<

...jk

Hasn't been a month so there :P

I know. =P

I've actually forgotten about this thread. Glad you brought it back up.

I guess we need more than a month to download all the data x)

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

I'm sure it will be released eventually by some means, he probably has the password on a timer as well. If that is true, all these companies are going to do everything they can to keep him out of jail.

So curious to know what's inside the file.

I'm honnestly a bit skeptical but I still have confidence that there are impotant files that could reveal a whole lot.

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

I cancelled my download after a dozen %.

Didn't like my odds of getting a corrupted file. It really should have been released in a split format with partial files for recovery. Having one file of that size, could easily get corrupted somewhere along the lines of downloading making the entire thing useless when it comes time to decrypt it.

If/when it gets released I'm sure there will be places hosting individual files or groups of files which could be downloaded at will. I'll definitely take the time to go through the file tree and grab anything that might interest me. But committing to such a large single file download just seems pointless.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.